the beggars are really out in force today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
About a month ago, we were traveling through the Navajo Nation. Stopped for gas and lunch. My wife was walking the dogs while I went into the fast food place.

And old Navajo man spied my wife from a 1/4 mile off, and made the trek to hit her up.........For money to buy hearing aid batteries! I thought that was at least somewhat original.

At least one person approaches me every time I stop, on Indian land.
At least the old codger worked for it! I'd give him a dollar out of pity. Even if it was for firewater, it's better than drinking Scope or Listerine or whatever it is they do on the rez that's incredibly self-destructive.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
If you see the lead singer of the band Creed begging, toss him a bone

Why? He sucks.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: FastGame

One day we were in this rest area in New Mexico. This old man got out of his motor home that was parked in the back corner. He said his wife had just cooked a big lunch and asked if we'd like to join them so we did. After an hour of eating and his stories about being in the LA PD for thirty years he pulled out this gun and said it was his service revolver and it never let him down. He said he felt good about what he was doing, we thought he was going to feel good about killing us then he asked his wife how many ? and she said 47...the old man said he felt good keeping us cooped up for an hour because he saved 47 motorist from being scammed. He opened the door, let us out, then with his revolver saluted us and said have a good day boys.

I'm confused... How did having lunch with you save 47 people from getting scammed? Scammed by who? And why 47?

Because the guy telling the story about needing help was tied up for an hour, he couldn't get $$$ from the people at the rest stop. The wife counted how many cars came and left while we were having lunch.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
If you see the lead singer of the band Creed begging, toss him a bone
I don't understand this.whats the story
There's a YouTube video of him crying that he's broke.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
NEVER give money to someone in this situation. All your doing is giving money for them to prolong a drug addiction.

Quite often true. Even though there are some legitimate people in need, there are more and more out for an easy dollar.

I stopped giving money to beggars years ago. The last straw was when this guy came up to me, said he was out of work and hungry and needed money for food.

There was a food store across the parking lot, and I offered to go with him and buy whatever he wanted.

He looked me in the eye like I'd just killed his grandmother, angrily said "F" you and walked away.
I had a homeless guy approach me as I was walking out of Subway after work one day asking for money because he was hungry. I only had a $20 on me and wasn't going to give him that so I offered him the sandwich I just bought. He turned it down because he didn't like tuna.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Offer to put a few dollars of gas in their car and watch them leave you alone.

+1 - I recently had a guy approach me about needing gas for his car as he vaguely pointed towards a parked car in the lot and named it as a Nissan (there was not an imported car in the row he pointed at). So I said, as gas was pumping into my FX4 - "Bring your can over here and I will fill it up".

He looked me in the eye and said, "That's OK, man."

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
NEVER give money to someone in this situation. All your doing is giving money for them to prolong a drug addiction.

Quite often true. Even though there are some legitimate people in need, there are more and more out for an easy dollar.

I stopped giving money to beggars years ago. The last straw was when this guy came up to me, said he was out of work and hungry and needed money for food.

There was a food store across the parking lot, and I offered to go with him and buy whatever he wanted.

He looked me in the eye like I'd just killed his grandmother, angrily said "F" you and walked away.
I had a homeless guy approach me as I was walking out of Subway after work one day asking for money because he was hungry. I only had a $20 on me and wasn't going to give him that so I offered him the sandwich I just bought. He turned it down because he didn't like tuna.
confused2.gif

About two months ago, I was having lunch in a little Mom and Pop sandwich shop. I had just received my order when a man came in and announced: "The Bible says 'Thou shalt not steal!' The Bible says 'Thou shalt not kill!' The Bible says 'Thou shalt feed a hungry white man!'"

He then proceeds to go from table to table trying to get the patrons to give him money so he can buy something to eat. Nobody was offering any money, so I called to him and told him to come to my table. I told him I had just received my order and he could have half my sandwich. He looked at me like I'd just called him a dirty name, then turned and walked out of the sandwich shop.

Here's another one. About 15 years ago, two men approached me late one night in a parking lot. One of them with a big smile on his face walked up and asked me for money. I told him flat out that I wasn't going to give him any money and he best leave me alone.

He asked if I had any money on me and I told him yes, I did, but it was my money and I was going to keep it.

He pushed me. I pushed back. We started pushing each other which then escalated into a fist fight.

As this fight was going on, I was trying to keep an eye on the other fellow who was standing about 20 feet away. I figured when he saw an opportune moment, he was going to jump into the fight as well and then I'd be fighting two men at the same time, so I was trying to keep the fellow I was fighting between me and his stand off buddy.

Suddenly, his buddy ran toward us. I saw him running and I was thinking, "here we go," but much to my surprise, he grabbed the fellow I was fighting around the neck and started pulling him away from me yelling "We gotta go man, we gotta get out of here!" I kept punching for all I was worth and the two fellows fell down, one on top of the other. That's when I started kicking the one fellow in the back and belly.

They both managed to roll away from me and gain their feet. Once on their feet, they both ran away into the darkness, shouting how they were gonna get me.

I got in my car and left immediately. To be totally honest, I was scared, but I figured if I let up for even a second, that would be the end of me.

To this day, I have no idea why the other fellow just stood and watched and then pulled his buddy away, but I'm thankful he did.

In Winnipeg, I had a guy ask me for money to buy a bus ticket. I had a number of bus tickets so I gave him one. My co-workers told me they saw him trying to sell the bus ticket a block or so away.

In London (England), on the same day as I was run down by a cyclist - leaving bicycle tracks on my trench coat, a drunk accosted me by grabbing the belts on my sleeves. I distinctly remember thinking "well why not, run down by a bicycle and a fight on the same day". So (somehow handing the cake I had been carrying in a box to my wife) I grabbed him by both wrists. He wanted money and I wasn't going to give it to him. So after a lot of dancing around, with lots of people walking by - and not helping, my wife (who had been trying to organize some help) ran up and said, "the police are coming." He was so startled that I got away. Dirty hand marks on the sleeves and bicycle tracks on the body - my coat definitely needed cleaning.

So beggars come in a variety of styles.

I was at the Summit Inn in the Cajon Pass for their Thanksgiving special today. Not far from your town.

I was talking to an old-timer about George AFB when the Second World War came about. There is a single arch bridge over the Mojave River where Highway 18 crosses the stream. In WWII, word has it, that bridge was where American servicemen would socialize with local ladies, and Victorville/Apple Valley had less than 1500 people all together.

The old-timer told me that there were now so many homeless in the area around the bridge that it is not safe to visit.

Times have changed.

Interesting how nobody brought up the obvious about many of these beggars....they are probably gypsies and/or travelers.

They tend to fly under the radar in the US because they have done a better job at disguising themselves.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: CT8
That is an easy way to get drug money!

I am convinced that some of these fools make more than some of us.

We're the fools because we give them money!

Years ago in Houston (mid 80's) one of the scams that was popular was windshield washers at the intersections. My wife and I were tooling around one day in her new Cadillac and got "caught" by one of these guys.

When he started to come over the wife rolled down her window and told him "No". He continued on. Once again, "No". Still didn't get the idea, and as he started getting ready to squeegee the glass she pulled a hand held cannon out of the console and asked him if he'd like an express ticket to heaven. I flipped out as bad as he did.

The light changed and we were off; I asked her where the h*ll she got the gun and she told that she had decided that it would make a great accessory for her new car and bought it at the gun shop down from where she worked. Just about the time you think you know a girl, something like this pops up.....

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I was at the Summit Inn in the Cajon Pass for their Thanksgiving special today. Not far from your town.

I was talking to an old-timer about George AFB when the Second World War came about. There is a single arch bridge over the Mojave River where Highway 18 crosses the stream. In WWII, word has it, that bridge was where American servicemen would socialize with local ladies, and Victorville/Apple Valley had less than 1500 people all together.

The old-timer told me that there were now so many homeless in the area around the bridge that it is not safe to visit.

Times have changed.
I'm very familiar with all these places.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Years ago in Houston (mid 80's) one of the scams that was popular was windshield washers at the intersections. My wife and I were tooling around one day in her new Cadillac and got "caught" by one of these guys.

When he started to come over the wife rolled down her window and told him "No". He continued on. Once again, "No". Still didn't get the idea, and as he started getting ready to squeegee the glass she pulled a hand held cannon out of the console and asked him if he'd like an express ticket to heaven. I flipped out as bad as he did.

The light changed and we were off; I asked her where the h*ll she got the gun and she told that she had decided that it would make a great accessory for her new car and bought it at the gun shop down from where she worked. Just about the time you think you know a girl, something like this pops up.....

Nice!

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Interesting how nobody brought up the obvious about many of these beggars....they are probably gypsies and/or travelers.

They tend to fly under the radar in the US because they have done a better job at disguising themselves.

You're admitting they're smarter than you?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: double vanos

Nice!

I went to a very hood gas station on Clinton Ave with some very cheap gas. Thought I would make a good-faith attempt to shake my stereotype of where I live. Well.. it did not turn out so well.

Firstly, the guys had trouble understanding how much gas I wanted in my car. Apparently, "Full" sounds like "four." But, as gassing.. some guy I will call Mr. Cool simply strolls up to my car, with a bucket and a squeege. Says, "Let me get something to eat, maybe a hot plate." Just like that. (Seems hot plates of food are still popular at shelters.) Washes both my windows, I say that loosely.. I was furious that this ambush happened while the car was still fueling.

The windows WERE clean, but were dirty after I got out of there, double-checking my wallet and change, asking myself why I am not a violent person, and now looking for somewhere having to re-wash my now dirty and soap-filled windows I could not see well out of.

And now this car is stolen.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Here's another one. About 15 years ago, two men approached me late one night in a parking lot. One of them with a big smile on his face walked up and asked me for money. I told him flat out that I wasn't going to give him any money and he best leave me alone.

He asked if I had any money on me and I told him yes, I did, but it was my money and I was going to keep it.

He pushed me. I pushed back. We started pushing each other which then escalated into a fist fight.

As this fight was going on, I was trying to keep an eye on the other fellow who was standing about 20 feet away. I figured when he saw an opportune moment, he was going to jump into the fight as well and then I'd be fighting two men at the same time, so I was trying to keep the fellow I was fighting between me and his stand off buddy.

Suddenly, his buddy ran toward us. I saw him running and I was thinking, "here we go," but much to my surprise, he grabbed the fellow I was fighting around the neck and started pulling him away from me yelling "We gotta go man, we gotta get out of here!" I kept punching for all I was worth and the two fellows fell down, one on top of the other. That's when I started kicking the one fellow in the back and belly.

They both managed to roll away from me and gain their feet. Once on their feet, they both ran away into the darkness, shouting how they were gonna get me.

I got in my car and left immediately. To be totally honest, I was scared, but I figured if I let up for even a second, that would be the end of me.

To this day, I have no idea why the other fellow just stood and watched and then pulled his buddy away, but I'm thankful he did.

Yes, but they were not beggars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back