Fine tooth ratchet 3/8"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im surprised nobody has mentioned the Gearwrench offerings. Both the 84T and 120xp are great ratchets. I like my 84T more , it has 4.3 degree swing , low backlash and handles well. Its thin profile head is a nice feature as well. It is priced right , has stood up to alot of my daily wrenching , plus with AAP's TRT30 code it comes up to $22 or so. My only gripe and its slight is that its COO is not USA or Germany.

OP, I own about 30-40 ratchets for some reason, including many in posted about in this thread.

Forget the Armstrong, its HEAVY and is identical to the old made in USA craftsman ratchets, as they were both made by the same company. The Armstrong is one of my least liked ratchets, mainly due to the lack of balance in the hand. It's a mediocre ratchet at best.

I use ratchets every single day, so many of them get a lot of use and I have a good feel for ratchets I like and which ones I dont.

Best budget ratchet: Pittsburgh Pro polymer ratchet. This thing is SURPRISINGLY nice, especially considering the $10 price. It is fine tooth, has very little back drag, is lightweight, etc. I practically use this ratchet 50% of the time. It's a cheap brand at a cheap price, but I love mine and almost everyone else that has one loves them too. Definite buy. Many of the Kobalt (Lowes) ratchets are made by the same company and have the identical head, but are heavier with metal handles and grip handles and at 4 times the price.

post-ratchets.jpg

Best longish flex head ratchet: SK 45183. Great quality, built like a tank, the ratchet I grab when I need to put some torque on a bolt.

31VVFJG8MCL._SX450_.jpg

Another one of my favorites is the Husky (Home Depot) 72 tooth ratchets. They are made by Apex tools (Gear Wrench, nicer Craftsman) and are identical to gear wrench 72 tooth ratchets except they have a quick release button that the gear wrench tools lack. They are nicer and better to use than the gear wrench ratchets, in my opinion. They fall into the must buy category for me. This ratchet is much better than the Armstrong.

bae93249-45f1-49c8-aaef-40e41caced19_400.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-...#specifications
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Flex-Head-Ratchet-H38FPFRAT/202923412?N=5yc1vZc249Zrd

An odd ball, used ALL THE FREAKING TIME, must buy ratchet is the Wright Tools 3430. It is a 3/8 drive ratchet with a length of about 4 inches. It gets a lot of use. I gave one to my dad and he freaking loves his too.

61aBtgoeo0L.jpg

My GearWrench Roto ratchet 81225 gets used all the time too. One of my favorites.

61L6IB3SClL.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Forget the Armstrong, its HEAVY and is identical to the old made in USA craftsman ratchets, as they were both made by the same company. The Armstrong is one of my least liked ratchets, mainly due to the lack of balance in the hand. It's a mediocre ratchet at best.

You're a little mixed up.

The Armstrong ratchet listed in this thread is the Maxx ratchet. Technically, the one listed is the newer Aerospace version that has 88 teeth. It's totally different than the the old Craftsman ratchet you're referring to.

The handle on the Armstrong Maxx and Aerospace line is also different than the old 36-tooth design.

Armstrong Maxx ratchet listed earlier in this thread
:
armstrong11992WEB.jpg

The older Armstrong 36-tooth design
:
2014-06-13%2014.52.01.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
but prefer a really good one that is a pleasure to use.

That would be Cornwell with their solid steel contoured handle. JR72.

For ref here it is too:

http://www.cornwelltools.com/webcat/products.php?product=JR72-%252d-3{47}8%E2%80%9D-Drive-Fine-Tooth-Ratchet#

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Trav
What is important to us might not mean a rats rear to the OP.

That's why I gotta quit posting in threads like this.

Do carry on posting. I appreciate good tools and corresponding recommendations from yourself and Trav.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

The Armstrong ratchet listed in this thread is the Maxx ratchet. Technically, the one listed is the newer Aerospace version that has 88 teeth. It's totally different than the the old Craftsman ratchet you're referring to.

Nope, I'm not mixed up. I have both the older Armstrong 36 tooth and the newer Armstrong 88 tooth ratchet. They are heavy, they don't balance well in the hand, they suck to use basically. Also, the Craftsman 84 tooth(premium), Armstrong 88 tooth, and Matco 88 tooth all have the same internals and are made by the same company (excepting the 84 vs 88 tooth, 88 tooth was reserved for the "premium" ratchets) Gearwrench also uses the same internals and you can swap from 60 tooth to 88 tooth by just swapping the internals.

Craftsman Premium Ratchets
Craftsman-Premium-Ratchets.jpg

Gearwrench ratchet with the same internals
post-gwratchet.jpg

Armstrong Maxx ratchet
10_994__62294.1405450706.1280.1280.jpg

Matco 88 tooth
sfrtd3ta.jpg

They are all the same... All made by Danahar, which makes most of the Craftsman ratchets.

Slightly off subject, but Ed China, the mechanic on the WheelerDealer cable car show has some nice tools. Anyone recognize the brand? Might be British.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Nope, I'm not mixed up. I have both the older Armstrong 36 tooth and the newer Armstrong 88 tooth ratchet. They are heavy, they don't balance well in the hand, they suck to use basically. Also, the Craftsman 84 tooth(premium), Armstrong 88 tooth, and Matco 88 tooth all have the same internals and are made by the same company (excepting the 84 vs 88 tooth, 88 tooth was reserved for the "premium" ratchets) Gearwrench also uses the same internals and you can swap from 60 tooth to 88 tooth by just swapping the internals.

They are all the same... All made by Danahar, which makes most of the Craftsman ratchets.

Well, I'm a tool enthusiast myself and have also owned most of those ratchets. You aren't dropping any information on me that I don't already know.

I will point out that you are actually mixed up in one regard. Danaher spun off its tool division several years ago (minus MATCO) into Apex Tools. So, in recent years, most of those ratchets have been made by Apex, not Danaher.

Reading your previous post again, it's still appears to me you were referring to the 36 tooth Craftsman ratchet that they've made for at least 15 years, inferring that you were referencing the old 36 tooth Armstrong. If you weren't, you should have been more specific.:
Quote:
Forget the Armstrong, its HEAVY and is identical to the old made in USA craftsman ratchets, as they were both made by the same company.

Saying it's identical to the "old made in USA craftsman ratchets" makes me think of the old 36-tooth design.

As far as your other claims, you're welcome to your opinion, but I don't agree with it when it comes to the Maxx ratchets. I've owned them and like them, as do many other people who find them to be a very good bargain in a USA-made ratchet.

An odd ball, used ALL THE FREAKING TIME, must buy ratchet is the Wright Tools 3430. It is a 3/8 drive ratchet with a length of about 4 inches. It gets a lot of use. I gave one to my dad and he freaking loves his too.

I have the SK 45174, which is very similar in size, just the SK variant (so different head, grip, etc.). I agree on its utility, though I find myself going 1/4" drive more and more for size and weight...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I have the SK 45174, which is very similar in size, just the SK variant (so different head, grip, etc.). I agree on its utility, though I find myself going 1/4" drive more and more for size and weight...

I find I use my Snap-On 1/4" TF72 for that reason
smile.gif

Great, informative thread. I just dded to my list of unnecessary tools. it's an addiction. I agree with all proponents of value and quality tools at the same time. Thank you all

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will have to wait to get the dual 80 in the future. But for now I got the hf 1/4" grey handled composite and today got the pear shaped black/red long handle. Very good prices and they broke the seal for me with fine tooth ratchets. And boy do they feel better in the hand, ESP in winter, than chrome.

The snap on dual80 is on my 5 year plan though.

Is it a good idea to grease the ratcheting mechanism?

The 1/4 composite had a dab of what appeared to be bulb grease and the 3/8 this one had nothing.

I use red chassis/ wheel bearing grease on the sprocket or w/ u wanna call it.

I want to say they are smoother, more refined, by some amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back