Best wiper blades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I've tried Trico blades, Walmart blades, Michelin blades, Bosch Micro Edge XL (not cheap) blades. None of them work worth a darn on my 2000 Grand Marquis. They all streak and chatter. I even replaced the arms and used a Rain-X Deep Cleaning windshield kit.

You probably have a similar issue to the one I had on my 89 Accord with original windshield. There are so many small scratches and pits in the glass that the wiping edge either doesn't make good glass contact, or gets abraded in short order.

I had great luck with OEM blades and PIAA Super Graphite inserts, but they don't make those anymore. If I knew what I know now I would have resigned myself to replacing the windshield due to wear. I think the best option is a glass shop that can actually resurface the windshield. Otherwise, you'll have to resign yourself to more frequent blade replacement.

In another recent thread on Wipers, somebody mentioned blade chatter could be reduced by tightening the claws which grab the rubber inserts.

Which got me thinking about slop in the wiper linkages, which then caused my linkage bushings, which had turned to the strength and consistency of nacho chips, to let go on a morning condensation wipe.

I got new linkages and installed them, and the chattering on my 2 year old cheapo Anco bottom of the barrell blades ceased.

I like to keep the blades clean. I use a small piece of generic scotch brite scrubbie pad, about 1" square and back it with a folded paper towell, and hit it with spray silicone, then pinch it over the blades and run it back and forth, then remove the scrubbie pad and wipe with blackened paper towel.

This pretty much makes my old wipers work as good as possible, but of course they still need replacement every so often.

I am also a windshield waxer. Star Brite marine polish with PTEF is quite durable, and as slick to h20 as Rain X, without the annoying starburst headlamp glare at night.

But my windshield is heavily pitted and the beige wax stays in the pits and reduces clarity to some degree, but only really noticeable when driving into a sunrise or sunset.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Having good luck with the Goodyear wipers from Costco. On sale right now for $3.89 each

I'll second that. Only issue is most times they are out of the larger sizes I need for the Taurus.

One thing I found that works[better] for me, especially with these long blades like 27" is, go shorter! For example, 24"-25".

This has helped some, in reducing the streaking on the glass. And keep the wiper blades themselves clean(er)!

I've switched to the Anco Beam style blades. They seem to last 2+ years for me. Watch for rebates. My last set was essentially buy one get one free with the rebate.

The single largest problem that I have with ALL wiper blades is in the freezing cold temperatures, the rubber chatters along the glass and doesn't wipe the snow or water as well even after about 6 months. Even if I keep my blades for ~2 yrs, they're fine in warmer temps but more rigid in the cold. ONLY brand new blades work to my satisfaction in the 1st winter. After that, it's hit or miss!

What I am looking for, is a product that I can clean and lube the wiper blade rubber during the cold months that will keep the rubber even more pliable/flexible in the cold months without leaving any residue/film on the windshield glass.

Something like vinyl/rubber interior/exterior dressing? But, IDK, I'd be afraid to try it!

Last edited:
^I am thinking that Silblades may be worth a try for you. The rubber is synthetic rather than natural. They may remain more flexible at lower temps. The chattering is cause by the squeegee not flipping back and forth as the wiper changes direction. Silblades don't work well on all cars, but if they do they tend to last at least twice as long as natural rubber blades. PIAA offers silicone blades and inserts, too.

I have used silicone spray and DOT 5 (silicone) brake fluid as a wiper treatment. It helps clean the rubber wiping surface and provide some lubricity, but it doesn't do much for the "spine" of the insert that needs to remain flexible.

When you pick the blade up off the windshield look at the squeegee. Does it lay to one side or the other, or look straight? If it slants, it will probably chatter in the cold.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I've switched to the Anco Beam style blades. They seem to last 2+ years for me. Watch for rebates. My last set was essentially buy one get one free with the rebate.

Try Rockauto.com as these are on sale dirt cheap. Google Rockauto for 5% off coupon.

Bosch Icon blades have served me extremely well, which surprises me, because most of their conventional blades sucked.

They cost significantly more than other blades, but knowing I don't have to do any work to my car for 2+ years is satisfying. In Florida, it rains frequently, so I always choose the best wiper blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back