Fear Getting Towed? You’ll Hate Watching This

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mate bought a grey import RX7 that had been loaded that way in Japan...$4k of buts later, he let the importer off the hook.

Would love Workcover/RMS to take them on for operating a fork on the road.

Want to know what else is scary ?

Just with the number plate in the video
2005 Ford Falcon, Purple
Tare weight 1648KG
Chassis number ends in 5358
Owner is not a pensioner or welfare recipient
Registration expires 20/02/2015
Car has CTP (Third Party personal insurance) through NRMA.

For $21 I can get a list of previous owners, and accident history.

A friend of mine is a repo agent. Drives a Silverado 3500 with a wheel lift that he can operate from the cab.

If a car is parked alongside a wall with the wheels cut to the side and it is small enough, he will slide the wheel lifts further back and pick up the whole car. Move it out of the space and then secure it properly. I didn't even know the forks would go out that far much less that it could lift the entire car with them out that far.

I personally witnessed this with a Camaro. I was astonished that it did not damage anything on the car. I thought for sure that in the least, the exhaust would be crushed.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Link

Wouldn't want to see the undercarriage.

If they did that to my car it would most certainly do some damage. Here they are liable for any damage they do, good luck getting a settlement without an attorney...

I have to admit I've thought about lifting up the old Neon with the tractor to do some work under there... Its probably a good thing that the car is just a bit too heavy for the loader.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I have to admit I've thought about lifting up the old Neon with the tractor to do some work under there... Its probably a good thing that the car is just a bit too heavy for the loader.

I've done this. However we used some 4in. thick rubber blocks on the forks so that it was basically the same as using a lift with rubber pads on it. The car was sitting in a field so using a jack and stands wasn't going to happen. Replaced an oil pump, dropped it down, started it up, and drove it out of the field. Worked great.

Last edited:
I work in a military staging area. I pickup Hummers like that all the time. I use a 30k lift. I would never try this with a normal car though.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Link

If they did that to my car it would most certainly do some damage. Here they are liable for any damage they do, good luck getting a settlement without an attorney...

For illegally parked cars, they usually are NOT! "Towed at owner's risk and expense" means what it says!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Link

For illegally parked cars, they usually are NOT! "Towed at owner's risk and expense" means what it says!

Pure bunk. They can tow cars but not damage in process. They pay for damages especially improper tow equipment. A friend got a new center diff on Subaru towed for good reason. They slip showed the exact equipment used which was not dolly or flatbed which the tow company paid for repairs over $1000. They are supposed to use a guide based on vehicle for proper equipment if professional.

Yes...if you spend $5000 on legal fees, you might recover $500. I work with someone who had a CJ7 towed incorrectly...almost $3000 in damage (he wound up parting it out), and he did not get a cent! The company flatly refused to pay, the police laughed at him.

I sometimes have nightmares that a tow truck driver will assume I have a FWD car, and do major damage by towing only the front wheels. LancerShop sells stickers that say "AWD VEHICLE TOWING RESTRICTION" or something like that. You can stick one near your VIN plate and stick one near your license plate to try to avoid disaster. Unfortunately, there are too many people in the car business who simply don't care.

It makes me think about how I had to correct some problems from some entry level guy. He changed a tire on a VW Golf R32, and afterwords, the car made some strange noises. I pointed out the AWD, and explained a few other important things about the VW Golf R32 to everybody.

I maintain all of my vehicles using our lift trucks. For the Ram 4x4, or any of the other guys' lifted trucks, it's practically mandatory. We don't have a lift, and don't really need one, except on occasion. It just has to be done the right way. When it is, it's a smashing success:

Done wrong (by someone else), and it's just a smashing:

"Minor boo boo" doesn't quite cover a situation like that.

On the other hand, I have seen people go to illegally park in front of our business, observe the operation of the lift trucks, and quickly change their mind.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back