the beggars are really out in force today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always one at the gas station and another in the shopping center parking lot. Went out this morning to get some last minute things and to ck on the shop. I got hit up for gas or money 5x between the gas pumps and the building.

Funny how these people asking for gas to get to moms house were not dressed for thanksgiving.

we don't have those here, but we do have the "would you like to donate a dollar to (whatever)?" They're at the grocery store door, at the checkout, at the door when you walk out, on your electric bill, at the BMV...

man I love online shopping, too bad you can't buy food online yet.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
There's always one at the gas station and another in the shopping center parking lot. Went out this morning to get some last minute things and to ck on the shop. I got hit up for gas or money 5x between the gas pumps and the building.

Funny how these people asking for gas to get to moms house were not dressed for thanksgiving.

I had the same guy ask me for gas money three times in the last five years. The third time I asked him why he keeps running out of gas inside Meijer's parking lot.

He instantly turned around and walked away.

KMart lost all of my business constantly asking me to donate money to St Judes, wanting my Rewards phone number that rewards me with less than a dollar every 3-4 months and always requiring me to push buttons for my paper receipt.

NEVER give money to someone in this situation. All your doing is giving money for them to prolong a drug addiction.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Boy is it nice living out in the country. People work for their gas.
The grass is greener on the other side where you live.

The best one I've heard so far in my life was when I stopped at a gas station to get some cigarettes and a coke. There was this fellow sitting on the curb who jumped up and asked me if I was a Christian.

"Yes," I replied, "I am a Christian."

"Never mind," he said and sat back down.

"Why do you want to know if I'm a Christian?" I asked.

"Because I was going to ask you for money to buy beer and cigarettes."

I gave him five bucks and told him, "That's for being honest."

In my younger days when I was a pool player on the road I traveled with this guy who dressed like a million bucks. We stopped in every major rest stop across the US from San Francisco to New York city. This guy would get out of the car, tell some story, ask for help and never once used the word money. He said never using the word money was key...people would rather give you money instead of taking time out to help someone. He was right, he made on average $ 300 an hour asking for help.

One day we were in this rest area in New Mexico. This old man got out of his motor home that was parked in the back corner. He said his wife had just cooked a big lunch and asked if we'd like to join them so we did. After an hour of eating and his stories about being in the LA PD for thirty years he pulled out this gun and said it was his service revolver and it never let him down. He said he felt good about what he was doing, we thought he was going to feel good about killing us then he asked his wife how many ? and she said 47...the old man said he felt good keeping us cooped up for an hour because he saved 47 motorist from being scammed. He opened the door, let us out, then with his revolver saluted us and said have a good day boys.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
NEVER give money to someone in this situation. All your doing is giving money for them to prolong a drug addiction.

I'm sure some are drug addicts, a few do need help, and many are just in it for the scam....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I had the same guy ask me for gas money three times in the last five years. The third time I asked him why he keeps running out of gas inside Meijer's parking lot.

He instantly turned around and walked away.

KMart lost all of my business constantly asking me to donate money to St Judes, wanting my Rewards phone number that rewards me with less than a dollar every 3-4 months and always requiring me to push buttons for my paper receipt.

So true about the Kmart thing.. if anything they should be asking for an extra 1$ so they dont go out of business instead of collecting money for other organizations.

Amen! And +1000.

I remember.. Greyhound bus station, North Carolina. 3:30AM. Someone asks for money.. for something to eat. Eyes super red. I say, "Stand in line with me, I will buy you what you would like to eat."

They say: "No....."

Quite often true. Even though there are some legitimate people in need, there are more and more out for an easy dollar.

I stopped giving money to beggars years ago. The last straw was when this guy came up to me, said he was out of work and hungry and needed money for food.

There was a food store across the parking lot, and I offered to go with him and buy whatever he wanted.

He looked me in the eye like I'd just killed his grandmother, angrily said "F" you and walked away.

Originally Posted By: FastGame

One day we were in this rest area in New Mexico. This old man got out of his motor home that was parked in the back corner. He said his wife had just cooked a big lunch and asked if we'd like to join them so we did. After an hour of eating and his stories about being in the LA PD for thirty years he pulled out this gun and said it was his service revolver and it never let him down. He said he felt good about what he was doing, we thought he was going to feel good about killing us then he asked his wife how many ? and she said 47...the old man said he felt good keeping us cooped up for an hour because he saved 47 motorist from being scammed. He opened the door, let us out, then with his revolver saluted us and said have a good day boys.

I'm confused... How did having lunch with you save 47 people from getting scammed? Scammed by who? And why 47?

They're organized around here, work popular street corners in "shifts". The next guy up waits in an alley and when it's his turn he goes and fist bumps the last guy and takes over.

The city tried to ban panhandling from motorists but failed on 1st amendment terms. They should have banned "transferring any object from a vehicle in traffic" for safety reasons, obviously. Ticket the drivers and starve the bums out.

There's a fellow who showed up here and claimed to have driven a school bus converted to RV from the west coast. He had no money but would pass a 5 gallon can around at truck stops hoping that professional drivers would slip 1/2 gallon in while filling, and bill a third party. To hear his story, this worked!

I gave money to a women with a toddler at an on ramp to the freeway. I felt good about helping out until I saw the 6 o'clock news that weekend. They had a story about a woman that dressed up in dirty old clothes while babysitting for a neighbor. She'd sit at on ramps to the freeway at various locations around the city. They showed the woman and the toddler and it was her. Then they showed her get into a late model car and then get out in a very nice neighborhood and go into the house. My wife said at least I gave the money with good intentions. The news reporter estimated that she made about a thousand dollars total per day at about a half dozen locations during one of her shifts.

Today the process has been streamlined. They just go to the welfare office and then wait for the direct deposit in their account and don't have to resort to older methods. They can confirm the deposit with their iPhone and use a credit card and IBT card for beer, wine, cigarettes, weed, drugs and other essentials not covered by other welfare programs. It's been so automated that they don't even have to speak English and once they learn the system they're in for life.

About a month ago, we were traveling through the Navajo Nation. Stopped for gas and lunch. My wife was walking the dogs while I went into the fast food place.

And old Navajo man spied my wife from a 1/4 mile off, and made the trek to hit her up.........For money to buy hearing aid batteries! I thought that was at least somewhat original.

At least one person approaches me every time I stop, on Indian land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back