New F150 specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/capacities/

This is the first time I have seen the actual numbers without the marketing hype. These trucks are light, not one scales over 5k!

The equivalent model to my current Silverado weighs about 450 pounds less! So they say, once you get one on an actual scale with stuff in it who knows. But still even if its only 200 pounds weight matters.

The carrying capacity also interest me. Being able to carry a bit over 3k once in awhile in a pinch without having to live with a 1 ton would be very nice.

Last edited:
Are these the ones that are supposed to have aluminum as part of the construction? If so, how is the pricing (if available) vs. older models?

And Ford just announced that these trucks with all the aluminum are just rated to get a measly 2 mpg more than their older steel counterparts. The PU champ still is the new Ram 6 cylinder diesel.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
And Ford just announced that these trucks with all the aluminum are just rated to get a measly 2 mpg more than their older steel counterparts.

Combined EPA economy went from 19 to 22 mpg. That is a 16% improvement. I wouldn't call it measly.

The PU champ still is the new Ram 6 cylinder diesel.

Which is fine if diesel were competitive on price with gasoline. Diesel has been running about 40 cents a gallon higher than gas the last year, and at the moment, its a full 1.10 more a gallon in this area. Awfully tough to cover an over 40% price difference at the moment in our market.

Not minimizing the fact the diesel gets nice mileage - just pointing out you better do your homework on the economics of your duty cycle.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

Not minimizing the fact the diesel gets nice mileage - just pointing out you better do your homework on the economics of your duty cycle.

Not to mention the higher upfront cost of a RAM diesel.

About 300 pounds less for the basic standard cab 4x2. Probably 500 less for the larger configurations, apples to apples.

It could be nice going 250 miles on 10 gallons instead of 190 miles on 10 gallons, That could be important.

Last edited:
According to a woman from Ford I heard on the radio, Ford gets 90% of their NA profits from the F150; she indicated NO WAY they were going to fumble this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
According to a woman from Ford I heard on the radio, Ford gets 90% of their NA profits from the F150; she indicated NO WAY they were going to fumble this.
Would you think the lady would say we cut corners, designed any extra value from every part we could and used China sourced parts to maximise the profits?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Would you think the lady would say we cut corners, designed any extra value from every part we could and used China sourced parts to maximise the profits?

No, it was about the importance of the product wrt their business i.e it could make or break the company.

You could have come up with that yourself, if you had thought about it a bit more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: MNgopher

Not to mention the higher upfront cost of a RAM diesel.

And Ram Diesel has less than 1,000 lbs payload capacity (passengers, fuel, trailer tongue weight, luggage, etc)

What fuel savings you may rack up may be eaten up by higher insurance and repair costs for body repairs to aluminum. I agree the f150 is super important to Ford and that they more than likely have over engineered the aluminum body, but just the same I think I'll let someone else test it out for a couple model years before I'd consider it. Also the ecoboost engines have a history of "overpromise/underperform" on gas mileage. It will be interesting to see what real world economy is for the early adopters.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Are these the ones that are supposed to have aluminum as part of the construction? If so, how is the pricing (if available) vs. older models?

yes. the Vast Majority of the body is a "Military Grade" Aluminum alloy. and going off the top of my memory (ie: i can't recall the exact figures) the Pricing was within $500 of the Previous model.

What exactly is military grade aluminum. Semi trucks have had aluminum bodies for years .It is really not new technology.

No, it was about the importance of the product wrt their business i.e it could make or break the company.

You could have come up with that yourself, if you had thought about it a bit more.
In real life it is about maximizing profits. I have worked on Fords and Chevrolets enough to know. Look at Fords reliability ratings and that being said I have owned 2 ford pickups that have I have been really happy with .

It could be nice going 250 miles on 10 gallons instead of 190 miles on 10 gallons, That could be important.

As a guy who owns an 04 5.4 3V I have but 1 complaint; GAS MILEAGE! That tiny 2mpg increase would mean a lot to me. If I were buying this segment, 2mpg could sway me but if I were in the 28mpg range I'm less inclined to be swayed over 2mpg. All depends upon how you are viewing it.

Please check your insurance rates before buying one. Your savings in fuel maybe less than the increased insurance rates. I know the owner of a local body shop and they had to buy about 80K worth of training and tools to be a Ford/American family authorized repair center for the new aluminum body F150. He said the AF rep said the rates are going to be higher on the alum version due to increased body repair costs.

Just what I heard,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back