Any harm in using higher octane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
As you correctly pointed out Clevy, octane equivalent is the resistance to the air/fuel mixture igniting of it's own volition. Burn rate is due to flame propagation rate which is about the same regardless.

What's strange (logical) is that the part of the burn where the octane counts is towards the end, when the remaining air and fuel has been compressed by the expanding, heating, burned gasses and can "diesel", a phenomonon called "end gas auto-ignition"

Exactly the answer I was looking for

Thanks Shannow,you are incredible wealth of info and an asset to this forum.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
The top tier thing, while laudable, is not really a big deal from my view. Around metro areas and such, it is more available, but there are many, many rural areas where top tier gas is non-existent option for the consumer, unless they travel excessive distances to get it. Yet, their motors are lasting as long or longer, with similar maintenance issues, than any other auto/pickup owner that live in metro areas and is religious about top tier fuel. Marketing and OEM nonsense makes all of this top tier thing an issue. Gives great peace of mind, I guess, but I lose absolutely no sleep over the fact that I have never had top tier rated gas in my pickup, except maybe the first tank from the dealer. And even then, I am skeptical that they filled it with a top tier rated fuel. They drove it over to the local farmer's coop gas station and filled it up. I know that fuel there is not top tier.

We use Co-op gas and diesel in our machines and company vehicles. It only just started advertising top tier status,yet in the 7 years we've been using their fuels we haven't had a single fuel delivery problem.
So maybe there are gas stations out there so horrible that top tier means something however in my experience,locally I haven't had any problems.
Mind you in my personal vehicles and in my bikes I use shell 91 octane.
My bike pings on most premium fuels. Esso,fasgas,and some petro-canada stations(seems just the Cree-way owned ones)my bike pings.
Co-op premium and shell v-power,no ping.
And that was years before co-op advertised top tier status,so since my bike likes those brands I stuck with them. I'm a creature of habit.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
As you correctly pointed out Clevy, octane equivalent is the resistance to the air/fuel mixture igniting of it's own volition. Burn rate is due to flame propagation rate which is about the same regardless.

What's strange (logical) is that the part of the burn where the octane counts is towards the end, when the remaining air and fuel has been compressed by the expanding, heating, burned gasses and can "diesel", a phenomonon called "end gas auto-ignition"

Interesting little read on the burn rate of various octane ratings (these are blends but still cool!):

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S001623611300745X

Originally Posted By: Clevy
We use Co-op gas and diesel in our machines and company vehicles. It only just started advertising top tier status,yet in the 7 years we've been using their fuels we haven't had a single fuel delivery problem.

I'd bet most fuel meets the standard for being top tier, but don't pay for the label. Do you think the Co-op changed the formula?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
In fact, I have NEVER used any non top tier stations.

If your using top tier gas exclusively and still worried about deposits, maybe you should stop using top tier gas?

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: Clevy

I'd bet most fuel meets the standard for being top tier, but don't pay for the label. Do you think the Co-op changed the formula?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
In fact, I have NEVER used any non top tier stations.

If your using top tier gas exclusively and still worried about deposits, maybe you should stop using top tier gas?

I would agree with this.

I would use most any frequently refilled and high traffic gas station, regular octane unless it knocks, with a regular and good cleaner.

Notice I said high traffic gas station.

Branding of gas seems more marketing ploy than good for vehicles to me. Not that it isn't, but. When off-brand costs 10, 15, 20, 25, more (yes) less than name..

And of course when name brand costs the same, then. Consider location to you vs savings..

Originally Posted By: dparm
Stick with 87. Not sure why people think higher octane is automatically better for every car.

+1000.

Attempting to convert my wife to this truth for awhile. She still does not fully believe. *sigh*

I don't know if it's an oversight or what, but the manual on my ford 3.7l says use 87 octane but leaves out the usual yadda yadda about how it's OK to use lower octane at high altitude.

I figure the extra detergent thing is kind of a tiebreaker. No way am I going to pay a big premium for that. If there's only no name gasoline convenient, I'll sometimes upgrade to a higher octane as such usually have more detergent. If I put in the occasional tank of no-name its no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back