Resuse filter w/little miles? or change it? S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy and i are having a debate on his situation. Hes got an 06 s2000 that he only drives mainly in spring and summer. He changed the oil this past may and roughly put only 1200-1500 miles on the car this past season. He only changes the oil once a year to be noted. I told him that because he only put so little miles on the car this past season that when he changes the oil in the spring that he should not change the filter and just just use that filter again and not have to change it. Filter being used is a oem honda 15400-pcx-004. Lets get some opinons on this. Should the filter be changed? or should he use it for the 2015 spring/summer season?

At 1200-1500 per year, even an oil change is a waste IMO. The filter is definitely full of life yet, but I doubt the car would know the difference one way or the other. If he's changing the oil so soon, he'd probably sleep better at night if he changed the filter too.

If the engine is usually fully warmed up when it is driven (15 miles+), then an oil & filter change every two years is still overkill in my opinion. ed

He might enjoy doing it, feeling like he's taking care of the car he enjoys. So it's probably worth four bucks.

But yes, I'm sure both the filter and oil are far from used up at 1500 miles.

You might look and see if the owners manual calls for a new filter every other change, a recommendation common on Honda's of that era.

Don't change oil OR filter - He's Loving it to death and possibly doing more harm than good. Why do you think oil has a moderate starting TBN - to neutralize acids in just this scenario.

I'm sure he'll keep killing it softly with unneeded OC.

This is off of another post but it sums up why you should use your oil filter for more miles/oil changes

This is from DrDave
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3543795/gonew/1/Q:_For_people_that_go_multiple#UNREAD

"Greetings:

I run multiple oil changes on the same filter. I don't do it for a cost saving measure. I don't really care how much a filter or a quart of oil costs. My motivation is filter efficiency.

I just received the UOA report with particle count for my Toyota Tacoma, with a 2.4L motor.

The numbers below represent 6,966, 14,419, and 21,926 miles on the filter.
>4micron: 113507, 4500, 435
>6micron: 13710, 2451, 237
>14micron: 2, 417, 40

It is abundantly clear that the filter is becoming dramatically more efficient. The difference in the >4micron size particles from the first to second oil change is a factor of 25. The difference between the second and third is a factor of 10.

I have reproduced similar numbers on a variety of vehicles. The filter is an Amsoil Ea15k51. The oil is Amsoil Signature 0w-30. I plan on leaving the filter in service for two more runs. It will have accumulated approximately 36k miles. If I see a jump in the particle count that will be an indication the filter is in the bypass mode and I will change it.

Dave"

So there is the proof that more miles(not less) are better for better oil filtration.

ROD

Last edited:
There exists proof that changing lubes too frequently will results in elevated wear rates.

There exists proof that changing fitlers too frequently will result in lessened capture rates.

And yet people still are stuck to the " ...or one year." mantra. This is a CYA mentality foisted upon the public as a means for the OEM to placate their warranty concerns, and nothing more.

I am NOT advocating an unending O/FCI. But this habit of folks to O/FCI with only regard for a calendar is wasteful and not achieving the benefit they believe. Still - it will prevail for a long time to come. I cannot change how others do things. I can only change my behavior and hope others take notice.

what about moisture that collects in the oil and fuel dillution esp from when the car sits from November to march? and is started once or twice a month?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dedonderosa
what about moisture that collects in the oil and fuel dillution esp from when the car sits from November to march? and is started once or twice a month?

Park it and leave it, don't start it unless you're going for a long drive. I park my 19 year old car from November through mid April in my semi heated garage with a battery tender. In fact I just "garaged" mine today for the winter after a 30 mile drive. I sent my 2 year old oil sample off last week for an UOA. Hopefully I'll get it back soon then I can post it. It was almost 9,000 miles on the oil. And I didn't change the Mobil 1 oil filter this time. I added Shell conventional oil and will run it until next October or 5,000 miles, which ever comes first then change the oil and filter.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Exactly! Don't just start a vehicle and let it idle for a while, as it will ingest some moisture and have a higher fuel content. Either drive it or simply let it set. If driving it, get it up to full temps for 20-30 min so that even the crankshaft (just about the last thing to come up to temp) gets warm. Just because the temp gage on the dash gets warm in 7-10 minutes (showing coolant temp), it does NOT mean the engine components are fully up to temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back