Ingersoll Rand 780 ft lb cordless 1/2in impact WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am now on my 3rd $400 1/2in cordless impact in the last 12 years. Used mostly for lug nuts. The first was an 18 volt Milwaukee rated around 250 ft lb. Maybe put out more like 100 ft lb. Had to loosen every lug nut by hand first, but worked great for running nuts off and on. 2nd wrench was a Ingersoll 19.2 volt rated for around 350 ft lb. Same thing. Wouldn't budge a lug nut torqued to 150. Got so tired of loosening thousands of lug nuts by hand, and bought the newest Ingersoll 20 volt rated for 780 ft lb. This thing is amazing. Cranks lug nuts off better than my air impact. The motor has tremendous power, and solid impacts. You really have to hang on to this thing. Love it!!! The only downside is even though it has variable speed, it has so much torque, it is very hard, even with a light touch not to over torque when snugging up lug nuts. No more air hose for me!

Last edited:
all my life ive used craftsman stuff and never had issues with them. then my buddy was rebuilding a home and he had milwaukee stuff. i was really impressed. but hearing this makes me realize all brands are different and some cant hold a candle to true tools. glad you found your cure for this problem. ill have to check out their tools

Power: 780 ft-lbs of maximum reverse torque and 1100 ft-lb of nut-busting torque from cordless impact wrench that weighs only 6.8 lbs

Not bad, but I got air tools in my garage. No need for the cordless stuff unless I did this as my job.

Can you tell us where you got it and the model number?

I've been contemplating an electric impact for a while and would like to compare this one to the others I'm looking at.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Can you tell us where you got it and the model number?

I've been contemplating an electric impact for a while and would like to compare this one to the others I'm looking at.

I bought in from tooltopia. $399 shipped with protective cover. I got the one with the extended anvil so you can use flip sockets without adding an extension. Ingersoll Rand Model # W 7250

Originally Posted By: Chris142
How much have you spent on them in 12 yrs? I bought a ir231 in 1988, paid about $100 for it and still use it daily.

Yeah, I have the same air wrench, but I love having the freedom of an awesome impact wrench without the annoying air hose. I love air tools, but, cordless is closing the gap. I have spent $1400 so far, and now I feel I finally got what I paid for. Sometimes you need a 10 mile long air hose.

Last edited:
Wish they wouldnt have changed the battery interface design... iven if the new one is 20V vs 19.2V, if it would have stayed the same, at least I could still use my other parts and chargers instead of replacing everything...

I bought one and returned it. It is way too heavy for an air gun replacement.
It has its place like someone mentioned for junk yards and where no air is available.
Be careful with this tool! It has a pin and clutch mechanism, these make a lot of torque from the get go. thats why they use it in cordless tools.

They will break small bolts right off if you let it hammer a few times or way over torque the fasteners.
They are best suited for large industrial fasteners and heavy work, the double hammer style is the best for automotive work, unfortunately the double hammer is not well suited to cordless tools.

Different impact mechanisms.

http://www.pneutrend.ca/component/virtuemart/impact-mechanisms.html

Originally Posted By: Traction
Originally Posted By: Chris142
How much have you spent on them in 12 yrs? I bought a ir231 in 1988, paid about $100 for it and still use it daily.

Yeah, I have the same air wrench, but I love having the freedom of an awesome impact wrench without the annoying air hose. I love air tools, but, cordless is closing the gap. I have spent $1400 so far, and now I feel I finally got what I paid for. Sometimes you need a 10 mile long air hose.
ya I have 100 ft of hose on my reel for pumping up my water tank

Originally Posted By: Trav
It has its place like someone mentioned for junk yards and where no air is available.
Be careful with this tool! It has a pin and clutch mechanism, these make a lot of torque from the get go. thats why they use it in cordless tools.

They will break small bolts right off if you let it hammer a few times or way over torque the fasteners.
They are best suited for large industrial fasteners and heavy work, the double hammer style is the best for automotive work, unfortunately the double hammer is not well suited to cordless tools.

I see want you mean with the pin clutch style. It makes a ton of torque from zero rpm. So far it has worked great removing lug nuts without beating them up, but it takes a very light touch when running the lug nuts up snug. Very little feedback. A torque control would be nice. It definitely has some guts.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Trav's comments are spot on - but myself and a buddy have used one for 2 years now. The gun is great, but a bit heavy. Both of ours have needed warranty service, mainly due to the brake feature not working. The power is a bit unreal, and you do need to be very careful about the amount of torque that is available from the get-go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back