Taurus Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wingman
Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus PT22 or Taurus PT22 Poly? Through a long process of elimination

If this gun is option A, I would SERIOUSLY consider option B. This gun is a TURD.

The "tip up" barrel is the deciding factor because the wife does not have the hand strength to cycle the slide on any other subcompact semi-auto (tried over a dozen).

If your wife is a normal, average female and not physically handicapped in some way, they she "easily" has enough hand strength to cycle a semi auto slide. She just needs to learn the proper technique.

At the very minimum, I would look into a Beretta .32ACP Tomcat.

tomcat2.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The "tip up" barrel is the deciding factor because the wife does not have the hand strength to cycle the slide on any other subcompact semi-auto (tried over a dozen).

If your wife is a normal, average female and not physically handicapped in some way, they she "easily" has enough hand strength to cycle a semi auto slide. She just needs to learn the proper technique.

At the very minimum, I would look into a Beretta .32ACP Tomcat.

tomcat2.jpg

Correct, racking the right way she could do most guns if she is not physically handicapped, some are rather hard though..

Rack a slide like a Lady

From the little bit I have seen of the PT22's at our local Academy Sports, I do not think they have the same family relationship with the Beretta Bobcat / Tomcat, that the larger Tauri have with the 92/96 series. The Beretta's are DA/SA and I believe the Taurus is DAO

While it is true that the tip up barrel does not require an initial slide rack on the Bobcat or Tomcat, you can't clear a jam without racking the slide, and on the Bobcat or Tomcat, it's not that hard to actually pop the slide off the frame when you're diddling with it. If anything, it's actually rather common, adding an extra layer of complication to operating the gun that may not be readily apparent. I don't know if this holds true for the Taurus, but it's worth looking at.

So, in other words, to state the obvious, you want something that won't jam and leave her holding a slide in one hand, and a frame in the other. I often pocket carry a Tomcat, and sometimes in summer, a Bobcat, so I am pretty familiar with these two little guns, and how they work and won't work. The Bobcat is dead on reliable with high quality ammo like Mini Mags and it's easy to be a crack shot with it. The Tomcat is one hundred per cent reliable with any quality FMJ or HP rounds that I have put through it.

I like Taurus guns and have a bunch of them, but I would also strongly suggest that if you are going to use of these little guys as a carry weapon, you get the best of the litter, and that you seek out a shop that has the little Beretta's. If this is the type of weapon she has to carry, I really think your best solution is one of the little Beretta's. You can depend on them.

Of the two, I would suggest the Tomcat, but it's bulkier and beefier than the Bobcat, which may not be that apparent just from looking at pictures of the guns. There is also a bullet weight limitation on the Tomcat because of the possibility of frame cracking, which I ignore for carry ammo, as I consider it expendable.

I have a Beretta 22LR with the tip up barrel. Never had a FTF or FTE regardless of ammo, although I try to use only CCI. This thing with it's short barrel is very loud and if you were at the wrong end of it would be very intimidating even if you weren't hit.

I almost bought the taurus 22lr and then just decided I didnt like the barrel loading of .22lr and 200.00 at academy was money i chose to save and walked away empty yet 200 not in debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back