06 Avalon Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just bought a 06 Toyota Avalon. I've read most of the posts about "boring Toyota ownder and I'm extra boring, it's the same color as the 96 Avalon we just sold.
Anyway, I haven't crawled under it yet but the owners manual says absolutely nothing about the oil filter. Where is it and how difficult (read messy) is it to change? I've condensed all the opinions I could find on first OCI and I'm going to change at approx. 1K and then at 5K. Plan to use either Castrol GTX or Havoline for first few changes and then decide whether to go to synthetic. We plan to keep this one 10 years too unless it turns out to be less reliable than the previous one. It went 194K on dino. This one has more bells and whistles (concession to wife) so I anticipate that they will cause more problems than engine/drivetrain. By the way, all I do is change oil. For other service it goes to the dealer or a friend who is a mechanic.

Anyway, any information on the filter and the planned first OCI's would be appreciated.

if that car has the 1MZ-FE, then the oil filter is in the worst location known to man. Its rigth behind the exhaust manifold for the front bank. You either have to a) remove a splashguard under the car, jack it up and remove it from there or b) scald your arm several times removing it from the top. I would invest in synthetic motor oil, if you dont wanna deal with sludge.

Easy:

http://members.cox.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf

grin.gif

Ha! Get used to it. They'll all gradually migrate to these improved cartridge filters. M-B and BMW never signed on to spin-on oil filters. Their current designs, as do the GM Ecotec and Hyundai's new lambda series V6 motors, have them conveniently located from the top that allows for virtually mess-free filter replacement.

After looking at that instruction sheet...nope....no way

Why they make it so darn difficult I have no idea...I bet even the Toyota Techs are less than pleased about this...and imagine if you bring it to Iffy Lube???
shocked.gif
Fugggggaht abooooout it
rolleyes.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Blue_Goose:
After looking at that instruction sheet...nope....no way

Why they make it so darn difficult I have no idea...I bet even the Toyota Techs are less than pleased about this...and imagine if you bring it to Iffy Lube???
shocked.gif
Fugggggaht abooooout it
rolleyes.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

I'm sure glad they eliminated all the complications of replacing a spin-on filter.
grin.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
crushedcar.gif

I'm looking forward to the return of oil bath air filters too.
rolleyes.gif
If they're going to add to the cost and complication while providing no benefit, why not go all the way.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it will be synthetic after the first 2 or 3 changes. Hope I can stand 10K + OCI's. If I go by mileage, that will be approx. 6 to 8 months. Will this hurt anything in the long run? Forget about Iffy Lube. I won't even go back to the dealer for the first change if they won't let me watch the tech do the change. As far as buying another Toyota, they know I keep them as much as 10 yrs and at 64 now they could care less what I buy at 74. They may even figure I won't be around to buy another Toyota.

Will all the toyota followers on BITOG still be toyota fans when toyota removes the drain plug and dipstick from the engine?

Just another step to please the vast majority of toyota owners. Buy it, drive it, and forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back