I got some Mag 1 Dexos at Pep Boys for $3/qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only certified/licensed for Dexos 1. No API license, no donut, no starburst. ONLY dexos1. Good price for a synthetic though.

Probably at least as good as Smitty's dexos-only dexos, which is profiled on PQIA

62891_dexos5W30.jpg

A decent score! Our local Pep Boy's had the same oil on sale for $2/qt. I got 5 qts for $1.50 each. I should have bought the whole shelf!

I often wonder if, dexos 1 5W30 would give the same MPG as any brand(dexos 1 or otherwise) in a 5W20?

And, does dexos 1 also come in a 5W20?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Yes, it does. Confusing, isn't it?

I didn't see anything that said it was a synthetic. It's likely semi-synthetic, but doesn't even claim that. Still, the specs look good.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Yes, it does. Confusing, isn't it?

A bit confusing sure! Must be for some newer GM engines that require a 5W20. Are there any yet that require 5W20?

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I didn't see anything that said it was a synthetic. It's likely semi-synthetic, but doesn't even claim that. Still, the specs look good.
Second link states full synthetic. I've never used it, but if it's Dexos 1 it has to be pretty good. WPP's other products are good, too.

Take it with a grain of salt...

I called about the very same thing (API/ILSAC cert). I was told this particular label of MAG1 synthetic was the first iteration of the repackaged MAG1 Full Synthetic. The reason it only carries dexos certification is because they had a business agreement with GM to only print the dexos approval for a certain period of time. It has since been re labeled to include API/ILSAC.

Who knows...

I'd try it if I had a Pep Boys near for the Sierra in my sig. Not to hijack the thread but would anyone with a Dexos spec'd vehicle use Valvoline Maxlife that doesn't have the official Dexos approved stamp but says it exceeds Dexos requirements on the bottle? I saw this for the first time yesterday in our local Walmart. I couldn't find any info via the search function. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
@Sierra
Maxlife seems to be licensed dexos now, and it appears on the gm dexos website official approval list.

check it out

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of this list. I never really paid attention to the whole Dexos 1 thing until I got my Sierra. Maybe a stupid question but: Am I to assume that any of these brands on the shelf, even though not specifically labeled as a Dexos 1 oil, can be used now without issue as meeting the Dexos 1 requirement? I was disappointed that Kendall wasn't on the list since I have four cases of their 5W30 full syn waiting to be used. The Dexos 1 "need" was the reason I just bought six 5 qt. containers of Castrol Edge, with $5 off per container coupons, from Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back