Help Setting Garage Door Remote

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Overhead Garage door motor, looks quite old. No remote. I got a Skylink 69 http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-69-Universal-Garage-Control/dp/B000Q5VKJE Universal remote.

Here is the board.
[img:center]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Erx2QA6G6oV3h4V1hTOVRsRmNDZU9PZzhOTlJRNlRNLW04/view?usp=sharing[/img]

I am suppose to change the jumpers to connect with the remote. I changed the jumpers on the remote but I don't know if the board has them...can you tell me? The motor works so I didn't want to start pulling stuff off the board.

Advice/recommendations.

Last edited:
Really old garage openers used 8 or so on/off pin switches. You needed to match the opener and remote, on/off for 1-8. Make sure its 1-8 and not upside down and 8-1.

Newer openers have a "LEARN" button on the back of the opener. Typically you press the LEARN button and then press a remote button and the opener learns the remote. If you press and hold the LEARN button it will wipe out all learned which is a good idea if you buy a house and the prior owner may not have given you all the remotes.

If the opener has pin switches it should have a cover that is easy to remove. You should not need to really take it apart.

If you look at the picture I linked to above it shows the motor board but I don't know where the jumpers are located.

It's actually new enough that it doesn't have dip switches. It looks like SW1 in the center of the board is your programming button. Push it, and then the remote button and it should learn it automagically assuming the jumpers on the remote are set correctly for this brand opener.

That worked! Thanks.

Now I would like a keypad on the outside of the garage.

I currently have a little button - looks like a door bell button - that opens the garage door from the inside. Has a smaller gauge wire split up to two of the door bell buttons.

Could I hook up a keypad type opener to one of those wires so I can access (open) the door from outside?

That keypad is perfect for what you want to do. Keypad goes outside, the control module goes right inside and you run a wire up to the motor and wire it in like the doorbell button.

slightly off record:

@coop

Have you ever consider upgrading your garage door opener to a newer, more hack-resistant type?

Most of the latest ones from Genie or Chamberlain comes with rolling codes (security+), thus making it much, much more challenging for criminals to perform drive-by hacking.

Older types (anything 10or more years older) are prone to "hacking" due to rather simplistic, if not "predictable" frequency and pin combinations.

Q.

example: my in-law's stanley garage was made in the late 70s, and I can hack it (get it to open) in mere 5 mins time...from a short distance.

(of course: I do have their clicker and I have access to their house also, but for security-related auditing and such, I have to try with generic remotes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back