How come cops don't always pull people over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Hitting the brakes causes nose dive,a telltale sign of speeding. Downshifting lessens the dive but it's still there.
And to be honest if the officer has his radar on slowing when you see him is already too late. He had your speed before you saw him.

If your really flying, and I don't mean 80 the best thing to do when you see a cop doing radar is to nail your brakes. Most good high performance cars shed speed super fast...So by the time he gets a good lock you might be doing 105 instead of 160...(like my buddy!)

While you will still get a court date, every MPH helps.

Than hire an attorney to get you out of it, like my other buddy with his 180 and some change ticket, *cough*.

Last edited:
This is not exactly what I meant when I spoke of "simple" speeding. Driving at speeds like that on public highways with other cars on the road really qualifies as reckless driving. Again, speed traps are not going to affect behavior like this. Even if this guy had been clocked (which most likely would have resulted in an arrest), he would have done it again - based upon the description of his driving record.

Random, arbitrary traffic enforcement can't fix stupid and sociopathic behavior.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Hitting the brakes causes nose dive,a telltale sign of speeding. Downshifting lessens the dive but it's still there.
And to be honest if the officer has his radar on slowing when you see him is already too late. He had your speed before you saw him.

If your really flying, and I don't mean 80 the best thing to do when you see a cop doing radar is to nail your brakes. Most good high performance cars shed speed super fast...So by the time he gets a good lock you might be doing 105 instead of 160...(like my buddy!)

While you will still get a court date, every MPH helps.

Than hire an attorney to get you out of it, like my other buddy with his 180 and some change ticket, *cough*.

160? 180? These guys shouldn't be getting tickets, they should be in jail with their licenses being revoked...public roads are not race tracks...

cause they can't catch me

hence my user name

grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Don't know where you found that "info". All I can say is I have never heard of actual quotas. I have just heard of showing proof of your work, I.E. (Reports written, warning, citations, handling calls for service, etc.)

lawman, have you ever encountered what they may call a performance standard?

I do not think anyone here dislikes police. Rather, we remember when some abused their power and badge. You cannot say that this does not happen. And I do understand the LEO point of view.. not relevant to what I am saying, some still abuse the badge, above and beyond being the badge.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
This is not exactly what I meant when I spoke of "simple" speeding. Driving at speeds like that on public highways with other cars on the road really qualifies as reckless driving. Again, speed traps are not going to affect behavior like this. Even if this guy had been clocked (which most likely would have resulted in an arrest), he would have done it again - based upon the description of his driving record.

Random, arbitrary traffic enforcement can't fix stupid and sociopathic behavior.

I live where we have a ticket called Racing On a Highway and it carries either 5 or 8 points.

I also once received a ticket for doing 97MPH on a 65MPH interstate highway. That ticket was not downgraded in municipal court, carried 5 points, and a 7 day license suspension. It was town police, on the highway, not State. I believed I was going way faster. Nope! Apparently, 97MPH. No clue he was even there. No brake lights nailed, no radar detector going off.. Speeding ticket.

Originally Posted By: John_K
I have worked with a lot of off duty cops over the years, and I have asked many of them this.

They say often they are headed somewhere and don't want to stop along the way. Also, all I have asked insist there are no quotas.

John

Pretty standard stuff to go the no quotas route in conversation, in my humble opinion. You should ask instead if they are held to a performance standard.

From what I read, a performance standard is a completely legal and widely used officer evaluation and productivity rating tool that does the same exact thing as the fabled unicorn of a mythical and elusive and illegal and disliked quota.

I also notice the same as Clevy. Some days, it looks like most of the force is out, targeting one thing. And I agree with him: Don't give them a reason. Therefore, when they abuse the badge, and pull for no reason, as at least one poster described with the hands-free operation, then you have to wonder.

That ticket would be $233, as in $200 for a first offense and $33 court cost, if that poster pleads guilty, or is found guilty. I would fight it, as well. Why pay $233 for being within the law. That is wrong.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
1/2? And a jogger.. That's like buying a bus ticket only to walk to your destination. Makes no sense.

So, you were there? You know what happened?

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF

hence my user name

grin.gif

You can't outrun a radio...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: 1 FMF

hence my user name

grin.gif

You can't outrun a radio...

Well...

If you can lose sight of officer for a short window and get off the road and out of sight either as or just before that call goes out.. you can maybe get away. Please don't ask how I know this. I was young and much more reckless.

Notice how police choose spots with far visibility, and a mile or two - or more - before a next exit. This is not by accident.

Then come the helicopters. You see SWAT or you see those.. give it up.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

I live where we have a ticket called Racing On a Highway and it carries either 5 or 8 points.

I also once received a ticket for doing 97MPH on a 65MPH interstate highway. That ticket was not downgraded in municipal court, carried 5 points, and a 7 day license suspension. It was town police, on the highway, not State. I believed I was going way faster. Nope! Apparently, 97MPH. No clue he was even there. No brake lights nailed, no radar detector going off.. Speeding ticket.

I'm not sure if you were reinforcing what I said or refuting it? 97 in a 65, depending upon road conditions would leave the cop to make a judgment call. I suppose you could be arrested, but 97 really isn't outrageous unless you were obviously racing. That should result in an arrest, IMO. The story, though, involved a guy doing over 160. I doubt, short of the Autobahns, that speed qualifies as anything but reckless.

But, the big question for me is have you stopped speeding since then? I mean, if the point of giving citations is behavior modification where are the results? We've been fed a load of carp for decades. It isn't about behavior modification at all. It's about punishment and revenue generation. We've all see how effective punishment is.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

I'm not sure if you were reinforcing what I said or refuting it? 97 in a 65, depending upon road conditions would leave the cop to make a judgment call. I suppose you could be arrested, but 97 really isn't outrageous unless you were obviously racing. That should result in an arrest, IMO. The story, though, involved a guy doing over 160. I doubt, short of the Autobahns, that speed qualifies as anything but reckless.

But, the big question for me is have you stopped speeding since then? I mean, if the point of giving citations is behavior modification where are the results? We've been fed a load of carp for decades. It isn't about behavior modification at all. It's about punishment and revenue generation. We've all see how effective punishment is.

Hi there. I was reinforcing what you said. I wanted to try to provide more info about a ticket I got.. You are right, speed is about revenue generation in today's world.

I have learned how to be more aware of when police and cameras are on the road. If I see either, or on a road I have not driven before, I drive conservatively.

Cameras are starting to replace cops, as well - allegedly. Though I do not believe for one second that all the NJ Red Light Cameras will turn off after mid-December. Too many wete just built for me to believe that (camera intersections. Why do that a month before it is supposed to sunset.) Does anyone else know more about the Red Light Camera situation, at least in NJ?

Some cars just draw attention. My ciera hardly gets noticed, the paint is bad and it looks like its going slow even at 80.

From what I see and know, no, there is no quota. At least where I am. Maybe other parts but not my part.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
...it looks like its going slow even at 80.

I want one of these!

My dad was a cop for many years. There was no ticket quota, but he was strongly encouraged to write more citations. One time specifically seatbelt tickets.
First car he pulled over was an older gentleman. No seatbelt. The gentleman explained that he had a colostomy bag and the seatbelt would compress it. No ticket was written.
Second car was an obese woman. She successfully demonstrated that while she could fit into her Dodge Shadow, she could not physically make the seatbelt go around her. No ticket was written.

It does seem to be discretion based. I can drive all the way to Houston (posted speed limit 75mph) with cruise set at 80. It is odd to blow past state troopers at 80 and not even have them look up from the LIDAR. I guess they figure that if they wait just a minute or two longer, a bigger fish will come along. (at 80 in the right lane I am often the slow car on I-45)
I did get a ticket for 57 in a 55 once. Years ago in my Chevette. The speedometer in the Chevette moved back and forth over about a 10 mph range. So when the needle was swinging back and forth between 50 and 60, I assumed that I was doing 55. I was wrong. I was doing a radar verified 57mph. The fine was the same for 1mph to 11 mph so I plead with the judge to make the punishment fit the crime. $10 per mph. He lowered his reading glasses, looked at the officer and asked, "2 miles per hour over? You will never see me on that freeway."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back