What is wrong with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT8

I am in the market for a new vehicle. My 96 Toyota runs fine and low miles but it is 17 years old. I don't enjoy playing car mechanic for free when I used to br my occupation for almost life. All the cars have airbags. Don't care for them
The tv screens I learned to hate then when GM put then in the 80s or 90.s Riveras "Glass cockpits are distracting' I like gauges " real ones"
Automatics. I prefer a manual.
Theft systems ,one more thing that will fail and leave you stranded.
Key fob door unlockers. I prefer a key.
No key on the passenger door. Don't need one with a door unlocker. I like to unlock the passenger door with a key.
BLA,BLA, BLA,
Yeah I am getting old and cranky but I have the $$$ for a new car, Cash and there are none that makes me want to write the check. The Challenger! The Hellcat almost gets me excited about a car. It is really nice but it is loaded with all the [censored] I loath.
Same thing with the pick ups I have Looked at.

Yup. All the gadgets are nice when they're new, but as the car ages, they just add to your troubles as they start breaking down one by one. I'm experiencing it with my 12-year-old BMW right now, and it ain't cheap if you don't DIY.

Deal with it.
It's not 1957 anymore.

Either buy a car you like, and live with the new options, or just keep driving with what you have, and be a mechanic in your spare time.

Or, you can take all the money you would have spent on a new car, and pay someone else to fix your current one when it has an issue.

BC.

I'm in with you. Supposedly the BR-Z keeps it real.

I also like gauges that move... esp oil pressure and water temp. They've been deadened to worthlessness.

I'm especially fond of 1985-1995 OBD-I fuel injected stuff with large greenhouses (windows), great visibility, and they won't narc on some stupid part at state inspection time. A car should work *for me* first off.

Furthermore if I had something made this decade I'd carry comp & collision and might have to lock it when I go inside a convenience store. This is actually inconvenient.

Buy a really nice, restored, CLASSIC CAR from the 60's and drive that!!

You will have to buy a bare bone entry level car: You know, the one they advertise for the price but they don't have at dealership because nobody wants to buy a car with nothing in it anymore.

But, if you want some comfort and nice amenities, like leather seat, moonroof, etc..., yes, you will have to deal with the gadgets.

But as long as you can turn them off, that should be ok, right?

Just pay someone else to fix your current car... And maybe do some extra part swapping just to avoid extra trips to the garage?
I think if I lived in a rust free area, I would mod a car until I got it exactly how I want it, then keep it going.

Regarding what TURK said about a classic car, I personally have SERIOUSLY THOUGHT of doing that, then went out and bought a new ford fusion, although I did get the S, the lowest optioned one they make. Figure at my age by the time it starts being a problem with repairs, I probably will be to ol do drive anywayLOL

The [censored] doesn't add the the DRIVING experience it is a distraction.

My 07 came with manual doorlocks, roll up windows and no A/C!! I doubt you can buy them like that anymore.. and I have to use a key to open both front doors.. the only time this isnt a benefit is in the dead of winter when locks freeze.. I have to say, I will mostly enjoy the added features on my next car, but am certainly in no rush to spend money on one unless I have no other choice. Based on all the things you dislike, there wont be much on the market for you these days AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The car you're looking for may be a truck.
I have a 2002 F250 with the luxo items,, they don't do a thing for me. I really for some reason like trucks

Seriously, you need to think outside the box. Everything you think is wrong with electronics and all the gizmos are wrong. You don't need gauges now, the car keeps track of itself. No car maker wants nothing but trouble associated with his make. The new cars are pretty much bullet proof and idiot proof. They have to be, we are breeding idiots by the bushel. You may think your old iron was so much more reliable, but truth be told, its like comparing the reliability of a ax to a chainsaw. What do you want to cut wood with? Cars are going 200,000 miles + and with poor maintenance or at least minimal. Just drive it, like millions of people do everyday and don't worry about how it works or how you fix it. I am sure you will maintain it and probably never have to even worry about the latter.

Seek help
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
I am in the market for a new vehicle. My 96 Toyota runs fine and low miles but it is 17 years old. I don't enjoy playing car mechanic for free when I used to br my occupation for almost life. All the cars have airbags. Don't care for them
The tv screens I learned to hate then when GM put then in the 80s or 90.s Riveras "Glass cockpits are distracting' I like gauges " real ones"
Automatics. I prefer a manual.
Theft systems ,one more thing that will fail and leave you stranded.
Key fob door unlockers. I prefer a key.
No key on the passenger door. Don't need one with a door unlocker. I like to unlock the passenger door with a key.
BLA,BLA, BLA,
Yeah I am getting old and cranky but I have the $$$ for a new car, Cash and there are none that makes me want to write the check. The Challenger! The Hellcat almost gets me excited about a car. It is really nice but it is loaded with all the [censored] I loath.
Same thing with the pick ups I have Looked at.

Ding, ding, ding, there is a LARGE market out there, even in the USA that is looking for performance, without all the complex
[censored] and automatic slush boxes as well. But the industry is
NOT interested in listening (at least in the USA) because it
keeps them from their greedy agenda of an insanely high profit margin. Funny thing is that MANY potential new car buyers like ourselves are simply NOT buying new because the companies REFUSE to offer relevant product for us. Their loss.

I would buy a brand new MKI or MKII VW Golf GTI if they still made them. None of the later models have that nimble handling
and GREAT manual steering, gear box, and are light weight, not to mention they still offer reasonable comfort for daily driving, and they are basic cars that are cheap to maintain and easy to repair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I would buy a brand new MKI or MKII VW Golf GTI if they still made them.

This is a neverending story. Twenty years from now, we'll be saying that we'd gladly buy a brand new 2015 GTI because you could still drive it instead of a brand new 2035 GTI that drives you.

Classic cars; have you looked at what happens to the occupants when it gets in to any type of serious fender cruncher?

I am right there with you on new cars and trucks. There is almost nothing that I would want to own. All the extras that seem to be standard are just dead weight to me.

1. Challenger R/T, 6speed manual, no options.
2. Camaro RS, 6speed, no options.
3. Mustang 5.0, 6speed, no options.

With all you get AC, some power options standard/some not, gauges.

Agreed with above, you sound like you need/want a truck, but I don't know of any 1/2 ton trucks with manual trans. So...you'll have to pick out one of the above cars....you lucky devil!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back