M1 AFE 0W-20 7,354 miles 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: jayg
GM engines just spit the metals. Not sure why GM can't make a low wearing engine like every other manufacturer. This UOA looks fine for a GM engine.

They shed lots of metals for long periods of time. You can still get 300k+ miles from that 5.3 like the rest of the millions of fleet vehicles out there. What's the problem again?

Why do you think it is a problem?

I don't think it's a problem, You mentioned why couldn't GM make a low wearing engine. They show higher metal in UOA like they are shedding, some even over 100k look like they are still in break in. They can still last over 300k regularly in work vehicles.
My point is that if it doesn't wear out any sooner than anybody elses then why would GM change how they build them?

Originally Posted By: jayg

My point is that if it doesn't wear out any sooner than anybody elses then why would GM change how they build them?

I give up, why would they?

They are indeed low wearing engines. People here are hugely exaggerating the importance of the wear metals shown in the UOA.

I just sold one (6.0) with over half a million miles, hauled a 9000+ pound van around its whole life.

Didn't smoke, leak, or burn oil. Quiet as a mouse. Still working in another state!

Seems ok to me...

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this information, I have the new 5.3 and was trying to decide between the Delco oil and Mobil One so your UOA's have been awesome.

GM engines just spit the metals. Not sure why GM can't make a low wearing engine like every other manufacturer. This UOA looks fine for a GM engine.

GM engines do show higher metals in UOAs, but these metal numbers do not translate to real engine wear. This is why UOA metal numbers are mostly useless. GM engines last very well. We know that the copper is not from bearings because the lead and tin is very low.

Last edited:
GEEZ! Doug Hillary correctly states, "It is always a good idea to look at the uptake rate (per km or mile) when comparing results. The actual distance is not shown for the Universal Averages so the Unit/Location Averages are meaningful for you - always remember that we are comparing uptake rates on Parts Per Million (PPM) - very very small amounts!"

The OP smartly inquires and discovers he went 1654 miles above Blackstone's 5700 mile average, which in itself is another rounded-up average. The PPM fall within the parameters of statistical noise for oil with less time in service and people here say GM "shed" more metal...blah, blah, blah. Funny.

That's four years old. Suppliers have probably changed four times by now.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Originally Posted By: wemay
With higher miles and a better oil like Mobil 1, I am wondering why the levels are higher than with the AC Delco oil and lower miles. You would think that there would be more break in materials in the oil more early on.

Just keep an eye on it with the analysis from the next few intervals.

I believe the AC Delco is Mobil (blend).

Correct. AC Delco Synthetic blend is made by ExxonMobil for GM.

Here is the article mentioning it:

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
That's four years old. Suppliers have probably changed four times by now.

Originally Posted By: wemay
With higher miles and a better oil like Mobil 1, I am wondering why the levels are higher than with the AC Delco oil and lower miles. You would think that there would be more break in materials in the oil more early on.

Just keep an eye on it with the analysis from the next few intervals.

I believe the AC Delco is Mobil (blend).

Correct. AC Delco Synthetic blend is made by ExxonMobil for GM.

Here is the article mentioning it:

With the partnership GM has had with ExxonMobil over the last 20+ years, I really doubt anyone else but XOM is making the AC Delco synthetic blend. It comes in the same bottles as Mobil 1, but is black instead of silver. Factory fill for the C7 Z51, C7/Z06 and Camaro Z/28 is Mobil 1 5W30, so GM and XOM's partnership is still strong. I believe Mobil 1 became the factory fill for the C4 Corvette back in 1993 and was the factory fill for all C5 and C6 Corvettes until 2011 when GM went to AC Delco Synthetic Blend for the standard C6 Corvette. C6/Z06 and C6/ZR1s still remained Mobil 1 as the factory fill. All Cadillac models from 2008 to 2010 came factory filled with Mobil 1 as well. GM is making good profits on the AC Delco Synthetic blend oil and guaranteed XOM is giving the synthetic blend to GM so cheap, why would they change suppliers?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back