best 0w40 -5w40 diesel engine oil ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have been running she'll rotella t 15w40 in my 2001 dodge Cummins turbo diesel year round. Temperature s here range from -40 Celsius to plus 40 and since Alberta is slipping into winter again , I now want to try a 0w40 or a 5w40 Just for more protectionin the winter rather than thick 15w40 and better starting but I also want to run it year round. would 0w40 be to thin in summer ? What is my best option ? Brand ,grade . Doesn't matter about price. I was looking at going with a John Deere oil or the shell for 0w40 - 5w40 and input is good SHOW ME THE FACTS 👍

Quote:
would 0w40 be to thin in summer ?

Common misconception.

You can run either 0w-40 or 5w-40 all year long. Rotella T6 is good. So is Chevron Delo 5w-40.

0w-40 should make a huge difference over 15w-40 in the extreme cold. What's available to you there in Alberta? Shell/Rotella products are generally well thought of. Rotella T6 0w-40 is just starting to show up on shelves here in the U.S.

Napa has rotella t-6 in Canada. But if you've got an imperial oil dealer nearby check Devlac products. Top notch and well priced. Devlac elite 222 0w-30 is a fantastic alternative in your climate. And you can buy it in pails.
They've got a 0w-40 too.
We have been using elite 222 in our forklift. It's a cat 12000lbs 53' boom,we use it all year long and the used oil analysis have been normal at 500 hours.
I know it's not apples to apples but I wanted to show that 0w-xx hdeo's are acceptable for year round use.
OP
If you've got a co-op nearby look at their synthetic 0w-40. It's a pao formulation and is cost effective.

Have you thought about a 10w30 HDEO like T5. At most temps it'll flow better than a 0/5w-40.

Clevy beat me to it, a HDEO 0w-30 is perfect for those very cold days of near -40. Thick oil does not always mean better protection.

Last edited:
Rotella T6.
thumbsup2.gif

That kind of cold... this is why I got sold on oil pan heaters when I lived in Alaska. Still, decades later, I still use them. Every vehicle and piece of ag equipment with a sump has an oil pan heater on it. 15w40, when temps are -25F, flows like a warm summer day at start up. Very nice compliment to a block heater on a diesel. My Semi truck starts great at -25F using 15w40, block heater, and oil pan heater. Not a rattle or complaint. Same true for a 2006 Jeep Liberty with a 2.8L diesel.

I have been running the Deere lube for over 25 years, all of their oil choices are top quality with extended intervals a selling point.

I agree with the above posts regarding pan heaters as they're well worth it in temps you are starting in.

I have been running the Deere lube for over 25 years, all of their oil choices are top quality with extended intervals a selling point.

I agree with the above posts regarding pan heaters as they're well worth it in temps you are starting in.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
That kind of cold... this is why I got sold on oil pan heaters when I lived in Alaska. Still, decades later, I still use them. Every vehicle and piece of ag equipment with a sump has an oil pan heater on it. 15w40, when temps are -25F, flows like a warm summer day at start up. Very nice compliment to a block heater on a diesel. My Semi truck starts great at -25F using 15w40, block heater, and oil pan heater. Not a rattle or complaint. Same true for a 2006 Jeep Liberty with a 2.8L diesel.

I think the problem is not being able to plug in somewhere and having a pan full of 15W40 at -30F isn't going to work too well...
For the OP, check out what petro Canada offers. I run rotella T6 5W40 year round in my tractor but I won't start the tractor if its below -15C, unless its an emergency. If I was in -30C often I would get a 0W40.

Shell RT6 0w40 is what I would use.

0w40 in summer is never going to be a problem. Just look at all the people who use M1 0w40 in their turbocharged gasoline engines, where the temperature never drops below freezing.

A Cummins can start no problem down to at least -30C on 5w40 with no block heater. 0w40 might help a bit more. On the Priaries you've got the usual suspects, Duron E, Rotella T and Delvac. I can vouch for the Duron E. Cummins and Duramax engines love the 5w40 (long OCI, great winter starting). This is all subjective of course. Two very popular (with farmers) 0w40's are CO OP and Deere. There are the smaller brands like Boss, Nemco and 49 North. I have only had limited experience with Boss.

Originally Posted By: 35445
Hey guys, I have been running she'll rotella t 15w40 in my 2001 dodge Cummins turbo diesel year round. Temperature s here range from -40 Celsius to plus 40 and since Alberta is slipping into winter again , I now want to try a 0w40 or a 5w40 Just for more protectionin the winter rather than thick 15w40 and better starting but I also want to run it year round. would 0w40 be to thin in summer ? What is my best option ? Brand ,grade . Doesn't matter about price. I was looking at going with a John Deere oil or the shell for 0w40 - 5w40 and input is good SHOW ME THE FACTS 👍

1)
welcome2.gif

2) that you ask for "best", and yet demand facts, I will presume to infer you are open to real data and not blathering of marketing info

3) have you assessed the current state of you engine with a series of UOAs? To know what it "best", you'll need to understand it's current state so that any changes can be tracked. You've been using a good oil already, so can you tell us what the average and std dev values are for your specific engine?

4) what thresholds have you set for condemnation limits?

5) how do you personally define "best" in this scenario? Is it lowest wear? Highest ROI? Lowest unaided start capability? What????

6) to really know what is "best" in terms of wear, you need reams of data in micro analysis. Until you have these, and then test any competing fluid, you'll never know what it "best". Most BITOGers simply do not have the time, money and patience to do this. Do you? It can takes years and hundreds of thousands of miles, not to mention lots of money.

Again - welcome. Not knowing how long you've lurked before joining, I do ask that you fully read the "Normalcy" article on the home page as a place to start. If you do not, you have absolutely no factual way to truly determine what is "best" for your situation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

I think the problem is not being able to plug in somewhere and having a pan full of 15W40 at -30F isn't going to work too well...
For the OP, check out what petro Canada offers. I run rotella T6 5W40 year round in my tractor but I won't start the tractor if its below -15C, unless its an emergency. If I was in -30C often I would get a 0W40.

Well, I can't speak about how they do things in Alberta, but when I lived in Alaska, even the employers had vehicle plug ins for their employees. If one is just running to the store, the short time the vehicle sits in the parking lot, shut off, is not going to cause even an already warmed up 15w40 to turn to grease. I have no problem with someone moving towards one of the cold weather versions like 5w40 or 0w40, but even then, I would plug in the block and oil pan heaters whenever I could. Even have them on timers to keep electrical cost down if the vehicle sits for long periods.

Thanks for the help guys ! Yes she'll is definitely in reach And by best I mean best breakdown/ wear protection. I have a lot of friends that run delvac I'm thinkin it's going to be that or t-6

I run Amsoil HDD 5w-30 in both my pre 07 Cummins year round, as well as my 05 Cummins.
Good pressure in summer easy starts in winter and I've never used a block heater on any of them on the farm.

I've been using Amsoil DEO 5W-40 synthetic in my 2007 Cummins since the first oil change. It doesn't get colder than about 0 deg F (-17 C) where I live, but I would use this oil if I lived in a colder climate too. My oil is holding up very well; here is my last UOA after 14k miles: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3530395/Amsoil_DEO_5W-40,_14k_miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back