5w-30 in 2014 Camry 2AR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

The fact that FUCHS of Germany has also made a 0W-20 that is approved for the BMW N20 turbo engine might also with time help turn the tide in favour of lighter oils.

I can see some truth in that. 15w40 was the most common oil in the 80's, it took a long time to accept xw30.
I guess the question is will BMW spec the 20w in Germany or offer an alternative?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Trav

Something sure isn't right with these recommendations. How much of it is CAFE driven?
I mean if its good enough for track use then it should be good enough for the Autobahn right?.

There is nothing wrong with the recommendation, it's perfectly clear, Toyota wants you to use the 0W-20 grade. The fact that they have given some flexibility in the grade choice is never here nor there and quite frankly we're just having some fun with it. 0W-20 is pretty much the sole grade recommended now across the entire Toyota and Lexus model line in NA.
An it is good enough for the track as FR-S owners can attest to.

If other grades are recommended in Germany that doesn't mean that the lubrication demands of the engines aren't being met with the 0W-20 grade because they obviously are.

Thats no real answer is it? I know its clear, the question is what is the motivation, it cant be performance or it would be spec in Germany also.

Why the discrepancy? The 0w20 is widely available from dealers and the aftermarket so if it was really good enough why don't they just spec it?
Ford does for a few of their hybrid engines also. I don't know i have a feeling the 0w20 may not be optimal.

BTW we are not talking any old 5w30 but TGMO 5w30.

I see you played Devil's Advocate, here's me playing. Could it be Toyota feels there might be more warranty claims, because of the "possibility" of more vehicles being used for extended high speed use in Germany. Maybe they're hedging their bets? Since there's no real answer everyone is entitled to their opinions on the topic. BTW Trav we have a similar POV.

Bottom line is a 30 grade oil is not going to cause any harm, and might actually be beneficial in certain instances.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Bottom line is a 30 grade oil is not going to cause any harm, and might actually be beneficial in certain instances.

Like quieter operation? Let me hear you say it!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Like quieter operation? Let me hear you say it!
grin.gif

LOL Perhaps.
smile.gif
How's that?

demarpaint is right, severe use of cars and long OCI are reasons behind why thicker oil is recommeded in Europe. 0w-20 will work great in 99 percent of time but i think 0w-30 should be the same at cold start and there is potential benefit from using it at motorway and spirited use. On both oils car will go out of warranty without oil related issues no doubt, but as a second hand buyer i would rather buy car that had used thicker oil from day one. This is just my opinion based on some experiance i have.

"there is potential benefit from using it at motorway and spirited use..."

I'd consider that in Europe cars with manual trannies run at higher RPMs and would be "safer" with 30w....

Last edited:
There is another thing to consider. The new BMW/Toyota engine uses a variable displacement oil pump so it should have no trouble with thinner oil.
Which leaves the question about old school pumps and their abilities to perform under what may be considered less than optimal conditions especially engines sans oil coolers.

Now we are getting into the mechanicals not just the performance of the oil.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
"there is potential benefit from using it at motorway and spirited use..."

I'd consider that in Europe cars with manual trannies run at higher RPMs and would be "safer" with 30w....

This is true but even manuals in NA have longer gear ratios (on average) then Euro counterparts. Combine that with slightly lesser power outputs in NA models plus CAFE and and you get different recommendations for oils.

Thick and thin oil arguments aside, follow what is recommended and required for your new car by the manufacturer.
0w20 and 5w20 are the only weights of oil that they specifically state to be used, with the 5w20 being temporary.
If you want Toyota's interpretation, of the "higher viscosity" statement in the manual that has caused debate, then contact Toyota America, not the dealership, and ask. Toyota are the ones who hold sway over wether you keep or lose your warranty, I'd listen to them.

Congrats on the new car.....

And the car doesn't have to be driven "really, really fast" the owner just has to think he is driving really fast which for some slow-pokes could be 70 mph, so I think you'd still qualify!! Ha ha!

If I started only short tripping and combined that with my granny driving, I could probably get away with a boutique 0w-5 racing oil.
wink.gif

Shannow: I'd agree with your point that a 0w-XX isn't exactly "necessary" if going to a thicker lube for whatever reason. Following the OLM, though, they might want to stick to something synthetic.

Trav: Remember that 20 grades, including 5w-20, were permitted in German cars many years ago. As the OCIs grew (and complaints about ILSAC type lubes not being up to the task for those), the Germans came up with their own standards, which also included thicker oils for the much longer OCIs. While North American OCIs are growing, I still don't think they're anywhere near what they are in Europe.

when i visited the dubai not too long ago, all their taxi cabs were toyota camrys...all with 240-260k miles plus, newer late models. they just drive all day, thats where the miles rack up. high heat and high revs all the time. check the spec or this desert region. i asked and they said their camry's last long because of 5k oci. these guys beat on their camry's hard btw.

Originally Posted By: bionictony
I believe 0w-20 will protect and lubricate up to a certain temp depending on engine load and etc. Anything pass that the engine will start to wear. With 5w-30, the oil can protect and lubricate past 5w-20's peak temps. I also have a lot of 5w-30 in my stock. if i do get some oil deals then i'm getting 5w-20 for the camry.

Please do not re-engineer your car. When manual says a 5W-20 must be replaced with 0W-20 next time should sufficient for you not to use 5W-30. Why do you install wrong oil in a 2014 vehicle?! You are matching your Camry into an oil type where it should be the other way around. Your car!

How's the 5w30 working out for u,we share the same engine and was wondering if u feel any difference in mpg,sluggishness?longer warm up time?

#1 2013 Matrix Pet-can 15W40 Duron
#2 2013 Matrix Pet-Can 10W40 Duron
#3 2013 GMC 1500 5.3L 5W40 Duron
#4 2011 GMC 2500 DuraM #30 Duron
#5 2006 Chev 3500 RT 5W40 Shell

Me so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back