Hitachi HPFPs

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was looking under the hood today after filling up the washer fluid and replacing the windshield wipers (OE Motorcraft ones of course)

The HPFP is driven off the exhaust camshaft, and I was curious what was under the little foam cover over it so I took it off. Now most of the things on my focus I see with a "Made in..." stamped on it says Mexico. I was surprised to see it says Made in Japan on it (pic)
op0yx0e.jpg

I did a little googling and it turns out the one who makes HPFP for Ford is actually Hitachi. I'd guess this is why we haven't really heard of any failures of the HPFP on most GDI engines, if they make most of them. Seems like another area that Hitachi excels at in reliability. The DI on the focus tops out around 2200PSI iirc.

Just thought it was interesting, and I was certainly glad that it didn't say Made in Mexico on it.

Last edited:
I think Hitachi has plants all over, but as far as Hitachi parts I have handled myself, the country of origin is rarely anything other than Japan.

Hitachi makes good stuff. Even with non-Japanese produced items, I trust their QC.

There wasn't a hint of Mazda under the hood on the Mazda 3 we had.

FoMoCo was stamped on everything. Nice to know I had 2 part options should the need arise.

No Mazda dealer? Just head to a Ford!

2.5l I4 not the 2.3

Bosch should have learned it's lesson by now with VE Rotary Pumps...the originals didn't fair well wither.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Bosch should have learned it's lesson by now with VE Rotary Pumps...the originals didn't fair well wither.

The Bosch VE Pump in my old '91 Dodge 250 went over 400,000 before I sold it, A P7100 went over 300,000 in my '97 Dodge. My Current CP3 in my '06 Duramax is at 297,000.

I have had really good luck with Bosch, To be fair I did have a VP44 go bad on a '01 Dodge (Electronics, Not the Pump itself)

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

The Bosch VE Pump in my old '91 Dodge 250 went over 400,000 before I sold it, A P7100 went over 300,000 in my '97 Dodge. My Current CP3 in my '06 Duramax is at 297,000.

I have had really good luck with Bosch, To be fair I did have a VP44 go bad on a '01 Dodge (Electronics, Not the Pump itself)

To be fair that is what also went bad on the VW versions however the dealer didn't care and just sold you a new pump. I believe a few did have a mechanical failure but it was more to BioD use than anything.

I wonder why the lower HP versions had failures but yet the bigger HP versions lasted. I guess pressure from the big 3?

To be fair that is what also went bad on the VW versions however the dealer didn't care and just sold you a new pump. I believe a few did have a mechanical failure but it was more to BioD use than anything.

I wonder why the lower HP versions had failures but yet the bigger HP versions lasted. I guess pressure from the big 3?

Oh, You meant VP Rotary Pump, Not VE? Dodge(Cummins) was the only one out of the Big 3 to use the VP44, They are pretty bad about failure on the Dodges as well....Even with a good lift pump. I was not aware VW's had VP44 pumps.

'93 & up GM 6.5L's had a Electronic Stanadyne Rotary Pump, The Modules would burn up quite often, But could be changed separately & Relocated away from the heat.

'94 & up DI 7.3L/6.0L Ford(Navistar) used HEUI, Had it's fair share of issues...More on 6.0L's.

I am guessing with the advent of HPCR VW's started using Bosch CP3 pumps? And reliability greatly increased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back