OCI, how hard was it to extend from 3K miles to..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those quick lube places still recommend 3 months or 3k miles.

On the other hand some people are just really paranoid about their cars.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I can't figure out how this 3,000 mile OCI got going. I don't think any major manufacturer suggested this interval since 1960.
The only explanation is strong marketing/advertising by the oil industry to get you to consume more product needlessly.

The severe service in my 6.8l V10 is 5k miles. I can tell you it works hard hauling around 14k pounds with a 12' x 8' box through the wind. 3k would be a waste.

I think the last time I did a 3K drain on a car or pickup was in the 80's. In commercial heavy trucks, some are still stuck on the 10K OCI idea (very similar in nature as the 3K thing for autos), but I haven't changed oil in heavy trucks in less than 20K miles since... yep... about the 80's. I guess it wasn't too hard for me to leave behind the 3K OCI gig. I haven't used that short of an interval in 3 decades. And that was before I started using any synthetic or blend type oils. Haven't lost a motor yet.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I can't figure out how this 3,000 mile OCI got going. I don't think any major manufacturer suggested this interval since 1960.
The only explanation is strong marketing/advertising by the oil industry to get you to consume more product needlessly.

Severe service for my Jeep is 3000, but normal is 6000 IIRC.

For me it was relatively easy.

The people who engineer the engines and make recommendations have this degree and understanding of mechanics that is far beyond me. I am a tinkerer, which is the poor variant of the finesse an engineer possesses.

I've done 3, 5, 7.5, 10k oci's without flinching. My owners manual calls for 10k OCI's in my Venza, but for warranty purposes I have it changed between 5-7.5k.

Both my side of the family and wife's side think I am nuts when I comment that they can run their oil changes out to 5k or more per their owners manual. They think the manufacturers are out to get them!

What about once a year or 18 months for a car driven once a week, always about 50 miles on the highway? I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire with the 3.2 Mercedes Benz engine. In a years time, it racks up 3,000 to 4,000 miles. Always highway.... Thanks.

I have been doing 4-5000 miles or one year for My 2004 F-150 since I bought it new and the extended warranty just expired in may of this year. The manual says 5000 miles for normal and 3000 miles for severe. My use falls under severe, but I still followed the normal schedule. I figured 3000 was too soon and they don't know how I use it. The last few years it has only had about 4000 miles on the oil when I had it changed though. The gas mileage really drops on this truck after 4-5000 miles on the oil. I am planning go the full 5000 miles do a UOA on it the next time I change the oil.
My Focus I have been doing every 5000 miles lately as well. I am trying to decide if I should go longer. The manual calls for the same 5000 normal 3000 severe and I would say it sees more than severe use. Maybe extreme use. It gets driven hard in the summer(close to red line often), idles for 25 min twice per day in the winter on work days, hauls heavy loads, sits in traffic, makes a lot of short trips, and has been neglected in the past. After 5000 miles, The fuel mileage does not change, with Maxlife and Defy on the last two changes it has not lost any oil (not that it lost much before from the tiny valve cover leak) and the engine even looks cleaner under the oil cap. Although I may just keep with 5000 mile intervals on the Focus too because I look forward to doing it as long as it is at least 30 degrees or warmer, and 5000 miles is easy to remember.

Originally Posted By: Barbell7
What about once a year or 18 months for a car driven once a week, always about 50 miles on the highway? I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire with the 3.2 Mercedes Benz engine. In a years time, it racks up 3,000 to 4,000 miles. Always highway.... Thanks.

I would change it once every 2 years years with M1 0w40 and factory filter.

Used 3K OCI's for ten years, conventional oil, 1972 Pontiac Catalina. Obtained brand new 1989 Honda Accord. Immediately started using synthetic oil and changed to 6K, 7K, and then 10K within three years. No UOA ever performed. Drove car 353,000 miles on original engine and then had a hydroplaning accident and sold car. Engine was still a solid performer and returned fuel economy about the same as it ever had.

In short, I learned to stop obsessing about OCI. It was difficult, but I did it.

If i have a vehicle that I plan on driving until it drops dead then I have no issues with extended OCI's but if I plan to sell it after a few years then I would rather have a maintenance record that looks like some attention was given to the engine as to only 4 oil changes after 5 years.

Very good point. That wouldn't look too good to a buyer. I keep my cars till they die.

As do I. And they are getting harder to kill.

Extending drains beyond 3000 miles was an easy one. Probably the tougher thing for me was changing my old ways and going with the OLM recommendation, which usually is way beyond what I was used to in the past. Even though I have to drive several miles of dusty gravel roads to go back and forth to town, the pickup does a fair amount of time off road in crop fields and such, both of which might be argued as severe service, I just go with the OLM, at least down to 10% or less life left. Puts me right at around 7500 miles, give or take. The motor will probably out last the pickup itself. That is what usually happens in my case.

OLM is at 33% left with about 5300 miles on the oil. If I went down to 0% on the OLM, at the present rate that would put me at around 8000 miles on the oil.

jayg, I especially like waiting two years. Thanks.

Two years and 8k miles of highway is no problem on something like M1 0w40. Easy on the oil and the wallet.

I'm now doing 7.5K, Took me years to go from 3k to 5k. Going to 7.5k has been a killer, has me checking the oil far more than I need to. But I will get used to it.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I've finally extended my drain intervals from 3k to 5k but went through withdrawal symptoms. I was addicted to 3k but with the help of all of you here at BITOG, I was able to finally break my habit. THANKS!!!!

Ahh the 1990s brain washing of "Change your oil every 3K miles" from the standard back in the day, when oil was good for 10K.

Not hard to even exceed the mfg recommended OCI once I started getting the oil analyzed by Blackstone. The oil in my Cummins diesel looks black as pitch but according to Blackstone it's holding up very well. I'm shooting for 18k miles before I change it next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back