Sno-Tek 24 snowblower how much oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my snowblower and in the manual it calls for 473ml but I can't see on the dipstick because it's so clear. I put a full quart in but I think its too much its hard to tell.

My snowblower uses royal purple for that exact reason. It's hard to see normal oil on it but the RP shows right up!

Is there a trick when checking the oil and it is too clear to see on the dipstick? Is there only royal purple that makes colored oil? It would be easier to see on the dipstick.

Google

If you bump a stick up against a paper towel the towel will start wicking the oil. Yes it wicks the "extra" oil that lingers above the full zone but the full zone and below wicks fairly uniformly. You have to confidently choose a moment in time that's your "moment" to determine level then not second guess yourself.

valvoline vr1 and RP are both colored.

usually if you run it enough for the oil to be dirty..
next time you change there is some residue that helps.

Originally Posted By: johnnyh55
I changed the oil in my snowblower and in the manual it calls for 473ml but I can't see on the dipstick because it's so clear. I put a full quart in but I think its too much its hard to tell.

The spec sheet for the LCT 208cc engine in the 24" Sno-Tek says the oil capacity is 16oz. But when I drained the original fill, I collected 19oz. And when I refilled, it required 20oz to get to the full line on the dipstick.

Either the dipstick is incorrectly marked, or there is an error in the spec sheet.

It's interesting that the LCT 208cc on your Snow-Teks has a dipstick with an actual full line. Must be the deluxe model. LOL. My 2014 model year Ariens Snow-Tek 28" 208cc just has an unmarked metal dipstick!

The manual says 16oz. Half a quart.

Originally Posted By: JTK
It's interesting that the LCT 208cc on your Snow-Teks has a dipstick with an actual full line. Must be the deluxe model. LOL. My 2014 model year Ariens Snow-Tek 28" 208cc just has an unmarked metal dipstick!

The manual says 16oz. Half a quart.

Hmmm! My LCT 208cc on my 2011 Craftsman 26" Snowblower has a marked dipstick, only stamped on one side! Looks like this; a bottom dot(add mark), 3 cross hatches(safe area) and a top dot(full mark):

If you look at this ^^^ long enough, it actually looks like a dipstick!
laugh.gif

No hugs & kisses!
CB

Last edited:
Since when is the purple dye in Royal Purple thermally stable? It used to be this stuff lost its color after just a few hours of run-time.

Seeing the oil on the dipstick should only be a problem after you first change it. once it turns a bit amber, then brown, seeing it (after the engine has been sitting for an hour or more.

Even when clean, I wipe the dipstick thoroughly then re-insert, pull and re-examine. Hold the dipstick up so the light stikes it and look the shiny section at the very tip. As long as your eyesight is good, the level of oil should be very clear.

I have this same snowblower/engine and use Rotella T5 10W-30. I really don't have any issues seeing the oil in the dipstick. This oil seems to be less clear then some others I have used.

ONLY when I first change the oil for the winter season, do I have trouble seeing the oil on the dipstick. But, I don't lose sleep over it! I put back in, what I let drain out. These things will run on almost no oil!

Try keeping a pair of cheap reading glasses nearby. You'll be amazed at how much your vision will be improved and how much you've been missing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back