Motul 300V 5W-30 vs 5W-40 EsterCore + TBN and kv40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Folks:

I had the kv40 tests run so I could get the VI; which was 154 for the 5W-30 and 153 for the 5W-40. TBN was 8.1 and 8.5, flashpoint 475 and 470 degrees, respectively.

Interesting comments about the zinc and phosphorus differences between the 5W-30 and 5W-40. I didn't expect that.

Enjoy,

Scott

5W-30 Code:

5W-40 Code:

Thanks for this.

Needless to say the VIs are lower than what the PDSs would indicate. This is due to the KV40 being higher (65.33 vs 64cSt) and the KV100 lower(10.7cSt vs 11.0cSt).
The 5W-30 had quite a low Phos level for a performance oil.

The 5W-40 had a marginally lower KV100 (13.3cSt vs 13.6cSt) but the KV40 was way higher (87.42cSt vs 81.8cSt) and that's the main reason for the 20 point lower VI at 154.

I suspect Blackstone could be off on the KV40s for both oil grades.

At the very least I think one can safely assume both these oils should prove very shear stable in service.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Thanks for this....

....At the very least I think one can safely assume both these oils should prove very shear stable in service.

Caterham:

You are welcome.

See my UOA thread of the Motul 300V 5W-30.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3542567/Motul_300V_5W-30,_3622_miles,_#Post3542567

This oil does indeed seem very shear stable, just as you claimed it would be.
thumbsup2.gif

Scott

The BRZ's are shearing 300V 5W-30, and in at least one case, it sheared to a 20 grade.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
The BRZ's are shearing 300V 5W-30, and in at least one case, it sheared to a 20 grade.

-Dennis

In the interest of providing accurate information that benefits all, can you please provide a photo of the UOA? It's nothing against you. It's just that too often this site has noting more than anecdotal "evidence".

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

-Dennis

In the interest of providing accurate information that benefits all, can you please provide a photo of the UOA? It's nothing against you. It's just that too often this site has noting more than anecdotal "evidence".

Thanks in advance,

Scott

One thing about me is that if I'm posting an opinion, I let it be known that it is an opinion.
wink.gif
It appears that the uoa pic is no longer there, unless I just can't see it on my phone. It was towards the end of this thread posted by AZP Installs.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30803&page=5

You can see my comment about the viscosity, although I didn't mention what it specifically was. I was even a little suspicious and thought it could have been the wrong grade used, but the uoa was posted by the shop owner from his personal car and it is tracked.

I guess that I could contact AZP and ask them to post it again.

-Dennis

Here is a UOA of the Motul 300V 5W-30 from my BMW, and as you can see it didn't shear in this application - compare the VOA I posted at the beginning of this thread.

Earliest UOA to latest = Motul 300V 5W-40, German Castrol 0W-30, Motul 300V 5W-30. Interesting coincidence in how close the 300V 5W-30 is to the GC 0W-30, viscosity-wise.

FWIW,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back