Harley-Davidson 5-micron oil filter - top-of-the-line Champ Labs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
Now that I have a Harley, I frequent numerous H-D forums, and it blows me away that so many posters on these forums do not trust H-D to provide quality maintenance products... they commonly assume that H-D markets only products under their name that were produced to the lowest bid, yet H-D charges top-dollar for these supposedly "low-bid" products.

Just to see if this was true of the H-D 5-micron oil filters, I purchased a sacrificial chrome version and cut it open.

What I found was what appears to be a mini version of the ACDelco PF35L, a top-notch 100% synthetic element filter that Champion Labs makes for ACDelco. Besides the size difference, the H-D filter also has a threaded-end bypass, and the PF35L has no bypass. Other than that, though, the H-D filter appears to be made by Champ Labs, using their premium oil filter structure and cannister.

In fact, the H-D filter is identical to the equivalent K&N oil filter (which so many H-D forum posters seem to think is so much better than the H-D filter) with the exception that the H-D oil filter has a better filtering media and does not have the nut welded to the end of the cannister. The K&N media is a cellulose/synthetic blend and the H-D 5-micron utilizes what appears to be the same, thick white, fully synthetic, wire-backed media as a PF35L, a filter widely acknowledged to be a superb filter, both for filtering capability and flow.

And, if you check the VOA's here at BITOG, you can see that H-D's 20W-50 "360" motor oil has a pretty good additive package.

It is true that H-D oil filters and oil are not cheap (especially the oil), but in the case of the oil filters, at least, they seem to be charging a price that is in-line with what other filter companies charge for comparable quality items. Sure you can get less expensive oil filters for a Harley, but not necessarily equal or better ones for less.

So much for the top-dollar for low-bid products theory.
burnout.gif

P.S. For those of you who know and care, happy Pioneer Day!
patriot.gif

Ya I cut open a chrome Harley filter for a friend at work who brought it in a while back...it looked pretty good inside from what we could tell.

Champ has made Harley filters for years.

If you go to the Harley Museum and purchase the history book of Harley..you'll find a Champ advertisement in it. I should know I did it..
wink.gif

btw..Champ will not warranty the Chrome filters if the chroming process causes the problem. Make sure no chrome residue is on the gasket or the filter will leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back