Switched back to Win 8.1...

Status
Not open for further replies.
from Mint 17. There were a few things I couldn't do(or figure out how to do) with Mint in the office. I didn't want to have to worry about dealing with incompatibility issues anymore when I need to be working. It's not fun. Windows is terrible after using Mint for a while.

I was doing that when I first installed Mint 16. It was a little quirky. I'll just have to live with 8.1 at the office. I have everything that I need running good now after the hours of updates and other shenanigans. I hear we may get a free upgrade to 10 when it launches.

We've gone in the complete opposite direction here. I've swung about half a dozen friends and family members to Mint 17 in the past month. They got tired of windows, and all are happy with the change. I guess it depends and opinions vary.......

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
We've gone in the complete opposite direction here. I've swung about half a dozen friends and family members to Mint 17 in the past month. They got tired of windows, and all are happy with the change. I guess it depends and opinions vary.......

I couldnt do that because then I would be tech support central.

Originally Posted By: Rand

The nice thing about Ubuntu - And probably more so with Mint, having a more conventional UI - is that once you're set up and running, those you are "supporting" rarely, if ever, call on you again. I have about a dozen systems I "support" for family, friends and neighbours and I am very, very rarely bothered with anything technical. Non-technical things (like using a feature of a web site) are things I am happy to help with anyhow.

Having said that, Papa Bear on these forums just had a Ubuntu 12.04 update - which installed a new kernel - alter the behaviour of his (proprietary, what else!) video card driver; so I had to walk him through booting into an older kernel over the phone.

While that maybe true for you.. I get enough calls for help with windows... and while I know a decent amount about linux.. I certainly dont know it well enough to troubleshoot people through menus over the phone.

Then there would be the calls about hooking up new printers, watching flash video etc or the dreaded why doesnt my 200hour spreadsheet I did at home import correctly at work type stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Honestly that hasn't happened. I do get calls from two close friends all the time for Windows related problems. I haven't been able to convince them to switch, yet.

Originally Posted By: hatt
from Mint 17. There were a few things I couldn't do(or figure out how to do) with Mint in the office. I didn't want to have to worry about dealing with incompatibility issues anymore when I need to be working. It's not fun. Windows is terrible after using Mint for a while.

I'm in the same boat, entirely because of teenagers with iPhones.

Until Apple decides Linux is worth a port for itunes, I'm stuck with Windows on at least one of my laptops.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Subdued
Until Apple decides Linux is worth a port for itunes, I'm stuck with Windows on at least one of my laptops.

For whatever it's worth, most mainstream Linux-based OS's can work with the next-to-latest generations of iThings; eg. an iPhone 5 with iOS8 (the current "latest" as of this writing) will not likely play nice with anything resembling the respect of freedom, but a 4S with iOS6 (I don't know much about 7) works well with my systems.

I'm in the same boat, entirely because of teenagers with iPhones.

A good argument for android phones and off brand mp3 players. My droid x and Philips go gear play nice with Mint 17.

I can also download free music all day long, so iTunes is really not necessary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

For whatever it's worth, most mainstream Linux-based OS's can work with the next-to-latest generations of iThings; eg. an iPhone 5 with iOS8 (the current "latest" as of this writing) will not likely play nice with anything resembling the respect of freedom, but a 4S with iOS6 (I don't know much about 7) works well with my systems.

I 100% agree. But, teenage girls won't accept older tech or ios. They want the latest.

It's especially problematic when they're the ones saving up their own money and paying for it. Which I'm proud of them for, but the fact remains I'm stuck with at least one laptop needing Windows.

It's actually fine, I have the bugger so incredibly locked down there is almost nothing they can do to catch anything...I hope!

FWIW I have an LG G3 myself so the main household laptop is lubuntu 14.04...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back