Castrol 0W-30 Belgium vs Castrol 0W-40 German

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think English packaging is the reason. The oil is labeled "Full Synthetic". That does not pass muster in Germany where full synthetics must be PAO or ester based.

But that still doesn't fully explain the labeling. If it was truly the "German thing", it seems they'd label it "Not To Be Sold In Germany".

Know what I'm saying?

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
I don't think English packaging is the reason. The oil is labeled "Full Synthetic". That does not pass muster in Germany where full synthetics must be PAO or ester based.

But that still doesn't fully explain the labeling. If it was truly the "German thing", it seems they'd label it "Not To Be Sold In Germany".

Know what I'm saying?

Scott

Well, I believe the big jugs of M1 0w-40 from the US also have the same verbiage on them, correct? Because I'm looking at a Canadian bottle of M1 0w-40 that states:

0w-40 Synthetic Motor Oil

Licensed to/Licencie:
Imperial Oil/Petroliere Imperiale, Calgary, Alberta T2P 0H6
Product blended in U.S.A./Packaged in Canada
Produit melange eux Etats-Unis/Conditionne au Canada

No mention of it not being for sale outside of North America
21.gif

Mind you, this is also a 1L bottle. Is the Castrol bottle 1 quart?

Overkill:

I guess the question I have is can Mobil 1 be sold in Germany and still be labelled "Full Synthetic"? I'm not talking about internet sales, I'm talking about Mobil 1 being sold on store shelves within German borders.

Scott

According to our bobbydavro member who seems to be closely affiliated with BP/Castrol, Castrol 0w-40/0w-30 GC/BC are PAO.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
No OEM has any interest in VI in their specifications.

If an OEM oil has a high VI they very much have an interest VI and a low KV40 spec'.

Mobil is a bit higher than most as the like to use alkalayted napolenes. A result of this is high VI. And why would an OEM (read MB as they are one of the few using Mobil) care about VI in factory fill?!

And you've conveniently forgotten Porsche that has used M1 0W-40 for their entire model line for years not to mention back spec'ing the grade 30 MYs.

Whilst I don't work in motorsport.... I've seen many race formulations. They often are very thin. Based on normal add packs but at lower treats for power and don't often stay together for every long. To be honest a lot of the development is 'trial and error'
The fact that you don't know just how advanced the leading edge race are says as lot.

You are a consumer with a little bit of interest in engine oils yet think you are an expert. The fact you mix oils seems to suggest you think you know more about this than people who develop engine oils.

Again the fact that you know nothing about motorsport applications explains why you don't know that mixing oil grades is standard standard racing practice. And I very much rely upon the knowledge of oil formulators in what I do.

I only look at VOA to check an oil is in spec. There is no way to assess how it works in an engine.

You certainly can't suggest oil applications based on running temperate and viscosity at that temperature like suggested. As I've said before. 300+ VI oils haven't showed benefits in reality. Remember VI is only looking at two temperatures. (Some polymers result in thinning 60-80C). These two temperatures measure the flow of oil under gravity in a thin tube. vERY different to the conditions in an engine. No where in an engine does oil experience this shear rate and pressure except when it drains back to the sump...

So basically you judge oils performance on two lately irrelevant numbers. Shall we call you Bob?

Once again your total lack of racing or hands on high performance experience is so evident here.
Obviously you know nothing of the concept of operational viscosity nor how to use oil temp' and oil pressure gauges to determine what actual oil grade or more specifically what HTHSV rating is required for a given application. Again what's standard racing practice is totally lost on you because you have no experience.
Furthermore you're understanding of VI is very basic. It's importance goes way beyond the two kinematic 40C and 100C spec's it's based on.

OP here:

It says right on the label "Not For Sale Outside The Americas". If anyone doubts me I will post a picture.

Falcon, your question was a good one and did not deviate from the original topic.

Scott

Only in that package, probably due to tax/customs/labelling/safety information. No issue with the formulation going into Germany.

Originally Posted By: Caterham

Again the fact that you know nothing about motorsport applications explains why you don't know that mixing oil grades is standard standard racing practice. And I very much rely upon the knowledge of oil formulators in what I do.

Oh here we friggin go again! You cant sell your theories and opinions so now its back to what the other poster doesn't have in the way of racing credentials.
JHC, the casual reader would think would think Ross Brawn or Michael Schumacher was posting. Come on speed racer put the mark V away, let trixie go to bed, have a beer and come back to reality.

You said it yourself you drive a driver ed car.LOL

Caterham- you are right I forgot Porsche. I tend to forget these things basic things like factory fill and VI being a measure of performance. Many factory fill applications are driven by cost and/or commercial agreements. Back speccing 30 grades? The only 30 grade is C30 which is 504/507

Do you really have such an issue with people disagreeing with you that you resort to calling them clueless ? No OEM outside Japan cares about VI, and their interest is waning now with the move to HTHS100 or HTHS 80 numbers.

Last time I checked people don't mix commercial oils for racing, they all have too much detergent and dispersant to really optimise performance. Bespoke formulations are developed that are without compromise in that specific application. This doesn't mean they are necessarily technically advanced though.

Ive know ultra high performance race oils use un-additised diesel as a base oil with rediculous levels of friction modifiers

Overkill:

I guess the question I have is can Mobil 1 be sold in Germany and still be labelled "Full Synthetic"? I'm not talking about internet sales, I'm talking about Mobil 1 being sold on store shelves within German borders.

Scott

Nope, as far as I'm aware, this particular version of Mobil 1 cannot. Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 could however.

OP here:

It says right on the label "Not For Sale Outside The Americas". If anyone doubts me I will post a picture.

Falcon, your question was a good one and did not deviate from the original topic.

Scott

Only in that package, probably due to tax/customs/labelling/safety information. No issue with the formulation going into Germany.

It's also how multinationals attempt to control the grey market and the profitability of their subsidiaries in other countries. There's nothing stopping a large organization buying large quantities of a product in the US, shipping it to a country where the retail price is far higher, and making more profit there even after shipping and duties.

Save your money. They are the same other than VM treat

What you may see is a small difference as in March 2014 updated formulations were launched with Titanium. (Production is later though)

bobbydavro, are you saying that the 0w40 (and 0w30) got titanium in March 2014 even if the bottle is the old style?

Yes, I saw that. And your 0w30 did not have titanium.

So I am looking for confirmation of the date ie March 2014 for both oils.

EDGE with Titanium was launched in Europe in March 2014, Europe make these formulations (in any blend plant-its all the same) anything after this date will have Ti as it probably makes no sense to make a seperate US formulation.

Ti will be on the bottles eventually.

Thanks bobbydavro. My 0w40 bottles are dated May 5 & June 5 so it looks like I have the titanium.

But SLO_Town's bottles are both July yet the (Belgian) 0w30 doesn't have titanium while the (German) 0w40 does.

New formula of BC 0w-30 w/ titanium is now available...Pep Boys had it. Sorry I didn't have my phone with me.

Links to images are now dead.
frown.gif

And yet people complain when we ask them to actually type in the results instead of linking. If you're going to link, at least please make an effort to not delete/modify your images.

I can't see the photographs but am I understanding this correctly from the commemts, that this is a 0W40 that's supposed to meet A3/B4 with a fresh KV100 of 12.8 cst???

If so then my first reaction is that there's something decidedly wrong here. This oil would shear out of grade on the Kurt Oban 30 cycle shear test that has always been integral to A3/B4...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back