Roku 3 & Chromecast

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I have cut the cable and went with an antenna for over the air channels and with a Roku 3. There is a lot of free content and you can always add Hulu+ and/or Netflix if you desire.

Both the Chromecast and the Roku 3 support UTube and I find that using the Chromecast for UTube and other viewing is a bit easier but the Roku 3 offers way more content.

Our cable bill has went up twice in the past several months and had just went up another $15.00 a month when we pulled the plug.

Our LED TV has 2 HDMI ports and have the Roku 3 plugged into one and the Chromecast to the other.

I have an older Logitech Review (Google TV). This, along with a Netflix account, is all we have at home.

I have 3 kids: 8, 9, and 10 years old. It's got all the shows they want to see.

I don't watch TV. The wife and I watch some Netflix...1-2 movies a week or sometimes a few documentaries here and there.

I paid $81.00 for the Roku 3 and $32.00 for the Chromecast. Often if you check the offers on the Chromecast after you install it you will find some free offers like 2 months of Hulu + for example.

Yes, is HD. The default on the Roku 3 was 720P and you can change it to 1080P if you desire. There are a boatload of free channels on the Roku 3 + the Roku 3 has a remote control unlike the Chromecast. You can use your tablet, smartphone, computer, etc., to control either device too.

Both can be found on the Internet or @ your local Best Buy or other stores.

Quick tip about using Youtube through
Roku 3 vs Chromecast

On Chromecast, youtube puts commercials in between videos.
On Roku 3, youtube does not put commercials in between videos.

Chromecast and Youtube are owned by google, it's probably why there are commercials put in for the money. I found this out not to long ago!

Roku must block the youtube commercials somehow.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: SrDriver
My wife and I have cut the cable...

Welcome to the dark side!
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Quick tip about using Youtube through
Roku 3 vs Chromecast

On Chromecast, youtube puts commercials in between videos.
On Roku 3, youtube does not put commercials in between videos.

Chromecast and Youtube are owned by google, it's probably why there are commercials put in for the money. I found this out not to long ago!

Really.

I've seen the commercial on certain videos and in 5 seconds you can click it off. I didn't know they put them in the middle too.
I've got Apple tv. If I wasn't already invested in Apple products I might have bought something.
And AirPlay is so much more than just screen mirroring. Everything on the box runs seamlessly into my phone and devices.
I ditched satellite when I moved into the city and bought the Apple TV box and I haven't missed cable for even a second.
And if there's a TV show I'm into there are countless sites like tvids that I just AirPlay from a device to the TV.
All I have for a bill is Internet now. And I don't miss any of it.

Commercials show up at the beginning of a video. You can choose to watch the whole thing, or you can click the Skip This Ad button after 5 seconds to dismiss the commercial. We have a Roku 3. We see an ad at the beginning of 50-75% of the YouTube videos we watch. They're generally not all that intrusive.

One thing folks may not know (and I may have this wrong, too)...the channel will receive ad revenue if you watch the commercial all the way through. If you skip the commercial, they don't receive any revenue. If it's a channel to which I'm subscribed and like, I try to let the ad run all the way through, so they at least get a dime or something off that ad.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Commercials show up at the beginning of a video. You can choose to watch the whole thing, or you can click the Skip This Ad button after 5 seconds to dismiss the commercial. We have a Roku 3. We see an ad at the beginning of 50-75% of the YouTube videos we watch. They're generally not all that intrusive.

One thing folks may not know (and I may have this wrong, too)...the channel will receive ad revenue if you watch the commercial all the way through. If you skip the commercial, they don't receive any revenue. If it's a channel to which I'm subscribed and like, I try to let the ad run all the way through, so they at least get a dime or something off that ad.

I use Adblock plus to block youtube commercials. But, with chromecast, the commercials get through when casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back