I don't like working by myself anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason I find that I'm not wanting to work on something unless I have someone else around to help. Maybe it's just a safety thing, but I do find that occasionally ill work on something only to find that I need someone to hold something so I can get it lined up and put the bolts in or something like that. So I'm finding myself tearing into something only to put it back together cause I realize it's more involved than I originally thought and don't want to be in a tight situation. Am I the only one who does this or do I just need a confidence booster? lol

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
What type of job / career field do you work in ?

My title is misleading. I just meant working on things in general, like maintenance items, disassembling and fixing things.

Eh, it varies.

I don't mind help, but I don't mind working by myself either. Kind of depends on the job and who is helping. It can range from "glad I had a back up ride to the parts store" to "this took way longer than planned due to the drinking, but was a lot of fun."

I dislike doing some jobs alone, mostly in the name of safety as I'm getting older. I'm not even working under a car on jackstands anymore if I'm home alone. As far as digging into complex jobs, I do like to figure in worst case scenario time, as well as function check time.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Am I the only one who does this or do I just need a confidence booster?

My confidence booster is having an extra car around in case I don't get the primary car fixed in time.

Working on the only car late into Sunday night is stressful.

I agree, my cuzin and I tear into motors together, it's always fun to have him around because if I get annoyed with something he finishes and vice versa, we are a great team.

other then engine rebuilds, I actually prefer to do other car work myself, as I like to take my time to make sure everything is as I want it, I'm way too anal to repeat the same mistake again.

I only work on my own and family member's cars though, I do it for fun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Am I the only one who does this or do I just need a confidence booster?

My confidence booster is having an extra car around in case I don't get the primary car fixed in time.

Working on the only car late into Sunday night is stressful.

True that.

I will admit I loved finishing houses alone. Time flew by. Just me,my saw,my nailer and the radio.
I used to frame houses by myself. I'd build all my walls then have friends show up to help me stand them all. I put my roofs together on the ground and crane them up.
Then I fell.
3 storeys,slipped on a patch of frost I didn't sweep off well enough. Landed in my garbage pile luckily. However it was still a 2 hour drag to my truck,I don't remember the drive to the hospital because I hit my head pretty hard.
I was building a cottage,and all the locals were gone since it was February in balm beach.
Since then I won't work alone,nor will I allow any of my manpower to do so. An accident can happens to anyone. A light dusting of snow,sawdust,a nail causing a slip. It can happen to anyone,anytime
No job is worth dying for. Money is not worth your life. Especially chump change.
If your prepared to die for a paycheque it better have a whole bunch of zeros at the end of it,so your family can reap the reward if the worst case scenario comes to fruition.

Depends on the job. Most of the time I work alone and just take my time. Sometimes my son in law helps and I get to teach and he learns. That takes longer but is worth the time. He is coming along. But it will stop soon as he will be too busy to help as he gets busy.

2 years ago I exchanged radiators out on my Jeep GC. Took about an hour and a little to get it out. Took 4 1/2 hours to get it lined up and back in. Did it by myself. Learned a lot but would and could have used some good help.

Fence project last year took many months but did it by myself. Really enjoyed the alone time. So it really depends on the project I am working on.

I generally prefer to work by myself. I like the challenges that come with lining stuff up, lifting or heavy assembly. It means I get to make tools, fixtures or use equipment to get the job done.

If the task requires much concentration, like a brake job or wiring a circuit box, I prefer to work alone. If it is just a simple task like waxing the car, painting a room etc, then company is great. ed

I like having someone around. My wife is a good sport and will help me if I ask. She's really good at house and car work. She even has a fishing world record. What a catch.

I usually like working alone. It really depends on the job though. If it's something that can be done faster with 2 people then I don't mind having my brother lend a hand, like a brake job for example. But if a second person would just get in the way then I'd prefer working on my own. Call it zen time.

If I want to do something, and I want it done in a specific way (like my way), I prefer to do it alone.

I don't mind cooperative help, but I can get peeved at something essentially being taken away from me by a 'helper', especially if they understand how I want it done and choose not to do it that way.

My older son is great to work with on a project.

Back when he was a mechanical engineering student, it was neat to hear his analysis of the mechanical systems as we dug into them.

Since graduation, he works in automotive aluminum diecast so his knowledge is on the fast track now.

I'm sure he'll be teaching me some stuff on our next project.

I usually work alone. Not many want to hang out with me while I'm messing with the car, although my daughter will sometimes hang out. This summer once she set out a blanket and for all the world looked like she was having a picnic while I rotated tires and checked the brakes. But now that it's winter I'm definatly on my own!

Unless its simple stuff like doing firewood, I like to work alone, let's me think things through. The odd time I need a second set of hands on something and my wife is pretty good at helping for a minute.
My oldest boy will sometimes help too, but he's 4, so keeping him safe becomes most of the job, but that's fine if there is no deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back