Should I use this Fram Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Nothing wrong with those pleats. They may look "tight", but as far as oil flow, it won't matter at all. Lots of oil filters look to have "tighter" pleat spacing on one side vs. the other.

To that extreme though? It just looks like shoddy workmanship to me, especially for their top of the line offering. Every other pic of an Ultra I've seen (spin on or cartridge) has evenly spaced pleats.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the replies.
11.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: J_R
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Nothing wrong with those pleats. They may look "tight", but as far as oil flow, it won't matter at all. Lots of oil filters look to have "tighter" pleat spacing on one side vs. the other.

To that extreme though? It just looks like shoddy workmanship to me, especially for their top of the line offering. Every other pic of an Ultra I've seen (spin on or cartridge) has evenly spaced pleats.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the replies.
11.gif

I don't understand why you call it shoddy workmanship. Tight pleats is no problem and much better than wide pleats. You get more surface area of media and it's not going to cause any issues on flow (it's not that tight).

x2. Of all the Ultras I have seen, this is probably the nastiest in terms of quality.. excluding the failed BMW cartridge of course.
wink.gif

I am not against tight pleats by any means, as said it means more media, but I would prefer them to not be flush like this one. If an engine has any crude, it normally ends up between the pleats in the v spacing. Not too sure where it would go in this situation.

Who knows if you car would know the difference especially if the engine is clean, but you paid for quality and should expect nothing less.. especially if you plan on running it the full 15k OCI. My .02.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back