Help, My transmission repair is leaking badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a 4T40E there is a new trans pan with drain bolt available. Before you take the whole thing off maybe order one and replace your stock pan. I had a shop swap mine out at a filter change.

Also, HF has 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 torque wrenches on sale for $10 each on black friday. At that price you can buy a couple of each and use them to calibrate each other?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: ram_man

Absolutely and cheap tools are the wrong tool will make the best tech look like a fool.

Is that a snapon truck guy quote :p

If only I could afford snap on. I have mostly craftsman pro line and mac tools. I do have a few snap on things and man o man they build an amazing tool.

but even us "professionals" screw up. I try very hard to be precise but already in my career I've misdiagnosed a couple things nothing major but when you get it wrong you are humbled by it and reminded how much you do not know.

Kudos to your character and integrity. Keep that attitude throughout life and you will garner much respect.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
but even us "professionals" screw up. I try very hard to be precise but already in my career I've misdiagnosed a couple things nothing major but when you get it wrong you are humbled by it and reminded how much you do not know.

Kudos to your character and integrity. Keep that attitude throughout life and you will garner much respect.

Thank you for the kind words!!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand

Absolutely and cheap tools are the wrong tool will make the best tech look like a fool.

Is that a snapon truck guy quote :p

If only I could afford snap on. I have mostly craftsman pro line and mac tools. I do have a few snap on things and man o man they build an amazing tool.

That sounds like my setup. Can't afford all Snap-On, but I do have some. BTW I've seen some really good/backyard hobbyists use the cheapest junk tools available, and they do the job. They just don't hold up well over time.

This is one of those situations where it helps to have an expensive torque wrench.

Torque it in a criss-cross pattern and make three passes: 80-in.lb, 100-in.lb, 120-in.lb.

I think if it leaked as much as you imply, it is more than just being a little to loose. Itsounds like the gasket may not be seated properly. Someone already mentioned that it might be off a stud. It could also even be folded or pulled of the gasket face in a spot. This happened to me on an Acura SLX (trooper) - difficult to visualize spot over a crossmember hid it from me.

I would drop the pan and start fresh.

Did you clean the threads on the bolts and in the transmission before you reinstalled it? when I repaired my transmission a year ago, I cleaned the threads on everything with my tap and die and also used acetone on a qtip to clean out where the transmission pan bolts went into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back