Diagnose failing water pump. 98 Chevy Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads are 1/2" NPT- drill the hole to 23/32 and run a 1/2" pipe tap down in there. Being tapered, you don't want to go all out right away. Run the tap in a ways and test fit the connector until you get satisfactory thread engagement. Intake does not need to come off.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Ouch.

You may be able to get away with cleaning up with a strong Shop Vac and small nozzle attachment, but I'd probably take the intake off so you can clean up debris more thoroughly and make the critical work of tapping easier to do. At least you will have a fresh intake gasket set on it too. Also, if you find you need to replace the intake itself, half the work will already be done.

Bummer.

Skip the nozzle attachments and tape an appropriately sized hose to the end of the shop vac. Then you can get down inside the hole and surgically remove debris.

Also if push comes to shove, Dorman makes a replacement manifold for this application.

Just got finished with the repair. Used a hacksaw blade to make several cuts in the [censored] metal and then used an awl and small wire brush to clean up the threads best I could. Did the rubber hose duct taped to my shop vac to suck out any pieces I couldn't grab with needle nose. Screwed the new Dorman fitting in and hooked up the quick connect plastic connector on the hose and took it for a spin. Seems to work fine with no leaks. The threads on the new fitting had Teflon on them. I would have liked to screw it in a little farther but was meeting some resistance so I stopped. Does anyone know how many ft/lbs of torque the fitting should have? Thanks for all your help.

My 96 sierra had the same problem. The GM part is pot metal, while the Dorman is steel. The Dorman might have a sub-par o-ring, but overall it is an upgrade.

Eric,

LOL! So any risk of breaking the manifold? I was using a 1/2" extension and breaker bar to tighten it. Granted, I didn't "horse" it but I think I have her snugged up pretty tight. Is that something that after a couple of heat/cool cycles maybe I should retighten for peace of mind?

They can break if over tightened. Don't bother with trying to re-tighten it. If it doesn't leak, leave it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back