New Toyota cartridge filters exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took some photos of filters from my current stash.

Most fit my 2010 and 2011 2.5 liter 4 cylinder Camry.

The two larger filters fit my Land Cruiser.

Here are the current FRAM offerings...

The Wix group...

And finally a Mobil 1 and OEM Toyota (larger filter size, both for the Land Cruiser)

The ultra looks excellent. Also, the pleats on the extra guard look much better than the tough guard.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm a sucker for an Ultra. Looks so robust.

I love the Fram Ultra, in the spin on applications anyway. My car doesnt take a cartridge filter, but if it did Im not so sure I would use the Ultra. There was an Ultra cartridge filter on here that failed pretty badly.

Pleats on the TG look a bit funky with the twist. Probably will still function OK.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
The ultra looks excellent. Also, the pleats on the extra guard look much better than the tough guard.

Yes indeed! The EG does look better than the TG for this particular application. It sure does!

I just mentioned in another post to, use the new FRAM Ultra's NOW, while they're still made good! Because at some point, FRAM will probably cost cut this Ultra filter to something le$$ than what it is now AND, raise the price too!
smile.gif

Buy'em up at W*M or AAP(disc. code#'s) and maybe even some FRAM rebates and hoard them, while they're what they are now!

Last edited:
All posted filters look great. Was the WIX made MicroGard priced in the $3.xx range like the other spin on's? Seems like some cartridges are more $$$ while others are priced the same.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm a sucker for an Ultra. Looks so robust.

I love the Fram Ultra, in the spin on applications anyway. My car doesnt take a cartridge filter, but if it did Im not so sure I would use the Ultra. There was an Ultra cartridge filter on here that failed pretty badly.

A fair point as this link illustrates. There is also an EG CH9999 with a very similar failure linked in the same thread. Based on the Ultra cartridge anecdote, a sturdy appearance is no guarantee of reliability in use.

As also noted, the TG's wonky pleating won't be winning any aesthetic award, but probably be ok in use.

The MG and Wix look very similar naturally. And the Mobil 1 looks to have stout construction.

I've personally had good success with Napa Gold/(Wix) cartridges for Hyundai/Kia, high quality construction.

Thanks for the pics.

I wonder why the Mobil filter has a steel center tube, while the Toyota doesn't. I do like the no end caps design of the wix and Toyota. Maybe the pleats would be washed more from the ends, and why not make things simple.

Most of these filters were basically "free" in oil deals at O'Reilly, Pep Boys, and Advance Auto.

I actually paid for the FRAM Tough Guard and the OEM Toyota.

I have two Camrys and the family keeps them rolling either at college or around town.

So I'll use these filters up without any problem.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Pleats on the TG look a bit funky with the twist. Probably will still function OK.

yea they do.. Actually the Extra Gaurd looks better then I thought...

Looks better then the TG... but its the filter media that really counts and the FRAM ULTRA WOW... very THICK and wire backed.

Also the Micro Guard looks nice..

but that extra guard looks very good..

So what wrong with the OEM Toyota filter?

Last edited:
I don't believe there is anything wrong with the OEM Toyota filters.

At my local dealer, they are $2 cheaper than anything else in the photos.

After looking closely at the $8.97 FRAM Tough Guard, it took the ride back to Walmart for a refund. To me, that Justin Bieber swirl in the media looked like a problem waiting to happen.

Some "knowledgeable" members well versed in FRAM have stated here on BITOG that production of their cartridge filters would be moving to the US.

That's not what I'm seeing on the store shelves as all the FRAM cartridge filters for my Toyota applications are now Chinese built. And they are not as nice as the filters in my photos.

I don't blame you for returning the TG. I would expect better.

When you bought the other filters with oil specials, did they have to charge you extra since they were cartridge filters?

Seeing how Toyota is the cheapest for you, Id stick with that with the occasional freebie in your oil chance specials.

I haven't paid extra for oil change specials with these filters.

On the shelf, Advance charges $16.99 for the Ultra alone.

But it's been "free" with recent PP and Castrol Syntec deals.

The deal last month was the FRAM Ultra with PP for $32.99 and a $10 rebate.

Of course you're still paying something for the free filter since Walmart has PP for $22 and change and a $10 Pennzoil rebate.

I guess $12 PP and a OEM Toyota filter for $4.64 is an unbeatable combination!!!

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I haven't paid extra for oil change specials with these filters.

On the shelf, Advance charges $16.99 for the Ultra alone.

But it's been "free" with recent PP and Castrol Syntec deals.

The deal last month was the FRAM Ultra with PP for $32.99 and a $10 rebate.

Of course you're still paying something for the free filter since Walmart has PP for $22 and change and a $10 Pennzoil rebate.

I guess $12 PP and a OEM Toyota filter for $4.64 is an unbeatable combination!!!

I would say you definitely came out ahead then. PP and OEM filters seem like an excellent go to if you have no stash.

Thread hijack: I've read here to use nothing but OEM for Volvos so I have stuck with buying them online for around $5 each with $5 shipping. (buy more and save!) I just wish for convenience sake I could go to the store and take advantage of the oil species. The latest AAP PP w/ Ultra for $32 being one of them. I have yet to ask the dealer what they charge, but I'd imagine it'd be over $5.

The beauty of looking at cartridge style filters is that you can gain insight regarding "what is in the can" for your spin on applications.

Chances are, the media element will look a lot like these with some endcaps glued on and a few other necessary components thrown in for good measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back