Tell me about 07 Subaru Tribecas

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she cant afford to fix howd she afford to buy it in the first place? Regardless, its great of you to fix it for her
smile.gif

She financed it. I am not sure how much she paid for it. But she lives pay check to pay check.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Get it fixed, then have her trade it in on a Corolla.

I will have her trade it on something I know and it won't be a Corolla. I will find her a nice used W-body. Nice and roomy and easy to maintain.

People make fun of the Aztek, but at least they ran...and weren't nearly as ***** as a 2007 "B9" Tribeca!

Sorry nothing productive to add, I really don't care to know much about these vehicles.

I think you should be looking at the coils or the wiring leading up to them. Its likely a misfire #300 on cylinder x & y(CHECK CODES!). It is a typical problem and likely explains the bad spark plugs.

The H6 is tight unlike the normal H4 but they seem to be a very simple car to work on at least for my Subie indy who seems to repair it very quickly. He does mention spark plugs are difficult on H6's which is saying a lot as he did not think changing a throw out bearing on this car was difficult especially given a $400 labor charge.

YOu guys on trading this thing are too much.....

A car has one problem and a person who cannot diagnose it well and it is deemed terrible. I have no clue why motor being pulled is being considered here.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
YOu guys on trading this thing are too much.....

A car has one problem and a person who cannot diagnose it well and it is deemed terrible. I have no clue why motor being pulled is being considered here.

(1) You don't have to fix it and she isn't driving your car, but you are welcome to come by and help me out if you think you can do better.
smile.gif

(2) I was only answering the guy who said get a Corolla. She will not be trading it in.

(3) I borrowed a Can Bus scanner last night P0300, a miss fire for every cylinder P0301 thru P0306 and a P0340 crankshaft position sensor. They all went bad at once? The other codes were all emissions related. When I get home today I am going to finish up the plugs and coils. The new ones should be into today. If that doesn't cure it I am leaning towards a CPS or a Timing chain. At that point to the dealer it will go to be repaired.

And ah I wouldn't say it is terrible, but compared to what I have owned in the past and I own now for maintenance ease, It is pretty sucky.

This could be very simple. as someone else mentioned, there is a lot of panic here without any kind of troubleshooting. Subaru engines are well-built and yes have their known flaws but not unlike every other mfr. many will go to the crusher with perfectly good original engines.

there is no real troubleshooting besides pulling a spark plug at this point.

1. get the codes. this could be as simple as a single position sensor, a bad TPS, a bad MAF, ANY single sensor or wire to it can cause this.

2. I've never been in a tri, but the 'ru's I've worked on were extremely easy if you took the time to look at how it's all settled in there; very few bad wrench points. (I will say, I've never worked on their turbo engines, those look to be pretty tight) for spots on the front of the engine, fans, bottles, tanks all come out very easily leaving gobs of access. you just have to go through it in layers, and the way they mount with minimal bolts but several hooks makes it quick and modular.

get codes. get an idea of why it's running rough. a $5 android app and $15 dongle will do it for cheap....

Last edited:
It is weird that a regular OBD-II scanner wouldn't work. I own one CANBUS vehicle and one non-CANBUS vehicle, and the same scanners work with both. My handheld Actron scanner works for both and my Bluetooth dongle connecting to the Torque app on Android tablet works for both. I certainly believe you that your scanner won't connect to it, but that is strange...

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
(3) I borrowed a Can Bus scanner last night P0300, a miss fire for every cylinder P0301 thru P0306 and a P0340 crankshaft position sensor. They all went bad at once? The other codes were all emissions related. When I get home today I am going to finish up the plugs and coils. The new ones should be into today. If that doesn't cure it I am leaning towards a CPS or a Timing chain. At that point to the dealer it will go to be repaired.

No, I don't think they all went bad at once. I think the CPS is probably bad here, and is causing the misfire in all cylinders that the PCM is picking up. The CPS is the first (and only) thing I'd do at this point...and go from there.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
http://phantomotaku.com/SVX/011822-MSA5P0631C.pdf enjoy....

Thanks! I am still going to do the plugs as they look horrible and like I said the coils because I am in there. Based off the codes I am going to guess the CPS. A P0300 and a misfire on every plug.

My scanner is an Actron I have had for about 12 years, My other one is older. It is a Diablo tuner with OBD II function. That one only works on my Truck and Trans Am. The Actron has not worked on a lot of cars. I guess I need to get a newer one.

Originally Posted By: meep

1. get the codes. this could be as simple as a single position sensor, a bad TPS, a bad MAF, ANY single sensor or wire to it can cause this.

From my previous post

I borrowed a Can Bus scanner last night P0300, a miss fire for every cylinder P0301 thru P0306 and a P0340 crankshaft position sensor. They all went bad at once? The other codes were all emissions related. When I get home today I am going to finish up the plugs and coils. The new ones should be in today. If that doesn't cure it I am leaning towards a CPS or a Timing chain. At that point to the dealer it will go to be repaired.

Mike, that's exactly it. With a bad CPS, the ignitions coils don't know when to fire at the proper time, thus the random misfires.

I'm with you in that the "CAN" compliant vehicles I've owned, wouldn't read on my old OBDII only reader. Not a problem anymore, given I lent that one out and never got it back. The borrower insisted they gave it back to me. Love that.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Mike, that's exactly it. With a bad CPS, the ignitions coils don't know when to fire at the proper time, thus the random misfires.

I'm with you in that the "CAN" compliant vehicles I've owned, wouldn't read on my old OBDII only reader. Not a problem anymore, given I lent that one out and never got it back. The borrower insisted they gave it back to me. Love that.

Maybe I should loan mine out.
smile.gif

The Diablo is nice because even on non-GM cars it gives you real time data for all the sensors.

At any rate, I will be leaving shortly to finish up the plugs and coils. CPS looks like it at the back of the engine and I should be able to get at it. So all that stuff is relatively cheap, hoping that the timing chain didn't skip a tooth that could set those codes too. My concern is it happened so quickly. The only CPS I have ever had fail was on my 03 CTS and it was intermittent for a good while and would sometimes cause a no start condition. The Subaru went from a running well condition to the condition it is in now in short time, well according to the owner, which maybe her definition is different from mine.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Being a Subaru at 100K,you probably need head gaskets and cylinder heads anyway.

Please if you don't know anything about Subaru's just don't type...

Honestly I would have done the CPS first and then the plugs because even bad plugs will get a car running. I bad CPS is basically a no start once warm.

I seriously doubt the coils were needed and yes I've read you reasoning since your in there. I agree, plugs are enough to make you not want to work on it but a transverse V6 or a Ford 5.4L or W-body ain't a pinic either. It is piece of mind.

If the chain seriously is that bad off I'd expect a lot more nasty mechanical sounds which we all know equate to just that. Seems more ignition at this point.

I'd bet on the CPS as well.

That's the same 6 cyl. in the Legacy/Outback. Legacygt.com or subaruoutback.org have a fair bit of info, as well as an FSM for that engine.

Subaru's 6 cyl are not known for needed head gaskets, and if their timing belts make it 100k, I bet the timing chain is even more long lived.

Yeah, I was pretty sure they were not known for head gaskets.
Seems they do have a fair bit of ignition problems and timing chain failures, if neglected. I think this was maintained pretty well as the car as a whole is very clean and tight.

So plugs and coils are done, I will tell you I ordered the CPS, so you can guess that outcome. I will be into it about 650 bucks with everything. Man it is noisy, please let it be the CPS.
I absolutely hate driving the truck unless I am going camping and I am tugging the trailer with me.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Honestly I would have done the CPS first and then the plugs because even bad plugs will get a car running. I bad CPS is basically a no start once warm.

I seriously doubt the coils were needed and yes I've read you reasoning since your in there. I agree, plugs are enough to make you not want to work on it but a transverse V6 or a Ford 5.4L or W-body ain't a pinic either. It is piece of mind.

If the chain seriously is that bad off I'd expect a lot more nasty mechanical sounds which we all know equate to just that. Seems more ignition at this point.

My Grand Prix is so much easier to do the plugs. Undo the dog bones roll the motor forward a bit and done.

I was working blind on this thing.

Thank goodness for the internet and this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfN2XVugx24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back