Cadillac's new ATS V-Spec: Hi-Speed Orgasmotron

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like this crowd has not heard of the ATS V.R.
Would that be the model for "people that actually track their car"?
Or would the street-legal ATS V be the better choice?

I took a facebook poll.
All 35 and under.
Benz-C vs BMW-3 vs Audi-4 VS ATS Sedan.
Results??? 100% Cadillac
Colour: Black Diamond Tri-Coat
Manual transmission
Engine: 2.5 L4
As if I'll ever get to drive it.
Oh well. I need a periscope to
see over the steering wheel.
Ewe/////You win.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
I took a facebook poll.
All 35 and under.
Benz-C vs BMW-3 vs Audi-4 VS ATS Sedan.
Results??? 100% Cadillac
Colour: Black Diamond Tri-Coat
Manual transmission
Engine: 2.5 L4
As if I'll ever get to drive it.
Oh well. I need a periscope to
see over the steering wheel.
Ewe/////You win.

That's funny. The ATS isn't even available with the 2.5L I-4. The base engine is the 2.0L turbo I-4.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The ATS isn't even available with the 2.5L I-4. The base engine is the 2.0L turbo I-4.

Not so. The 2.5 I4 is the base engine.

However, if you want a manual trans, the 2.0 turbo is your only engine option, not counting the ATS-V.

I suggest you go back and reread the article I posted. There are many statements in there from the people that designed the car that said it was their intent that it could be run on race tracks. Just because a car is run on race tracks these days, doesn't mean it's a race car. Many people are going to track days to enjoy the full capabilities of their 400+ HP cars without the fear of getting arrested.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The ATS isn't even available with the 2.5L I-4. The base engine is the 2.0L turbo I-4.

However, if you want a manual trans, the 2.0 turbo is your only engine option, not counting the ATS-V.

http://www.cadillac.com/ats-coupe/features-specs/standard-optional-equipment.html

Nobody said anything about coupe.

http://www.cadillac.com/2014-ats-luxury-sport-sedan/features-specs/standard-optional-equipment.html

http://www.cadillac.com/ats-coupe/features-specs/standard-optional-equipment.html

Nobody said anything about coupe.

http://www.cadillac.com/2014-ats-luxury-sport-sedan/features-specs/standard-optional-equipment.html

OK, used_oil said Sedan on his Facebook poll. Maybe I'm letting my bias toward coupes show.
smile.gif

Last edited:

I suggest you go back and reread the article I posted. There are many statements in there from the people that designed the car that said it was their intent that it could be run on race tracks. Just because a car is run on race tracks these days, doesn't mean it's a race car. Many people are going to track days to enjoy the full capabilities of their 400+ HP cars without the fear of getting arrested.

^^^
01.gif

But, I just wish that more manufacturers let you special order their 400+ HP cars a little more like actual 'race cars' (FULL weighty, luxo/'convenience'/I.C.E./navigation/etc. deletes, light weight race style seats, and such).
frown.gif

cadillac.com
click on cadillac racing
building the ats-vr video

I don't think the options are cast
in stone. I just made a wish list
of options that would provide fuel
economy, light weight on the front end
and a manual transmission.

I also need a sedan so wet dogs won't
have to climb over the front seat as
they always seem to do no matter what.

I probably had the only C-Class Benz that
doubled as a shooting rest.
But then again, I'm not "most baby-boomers".

This short line writing should be easier
to read from a phone than long lines.

The ATS-V.R's are being built for racing by Pratt & Miller, who have been building the CTS-V's and C5,6,7R's for professional road racing. In the video, they say the cars will replace the CTS-V's in 2015, and only for the factory team in the World Challenge series. Then in 2016, they'll start to build race cars for other teams. I think they also said something about 600HP from the racing version of the V6 engine, and Andy Pilgrim was raving about the paddle-shift sequential semi-automatic transmission. It's an interesting time to be an auto enthusiast.

What would be the horsepower potential of the little 4-banger, all dressed-up
with a couple of turbos and heading for the dance floor?

GM used to sell a kit for the turbocharged Cobalt that added 30 HP without voiding the warranty. This was basically just a reflash of the ECM. I don't know if they sell a similar kit for the Caddy.

As for how much power you can really get without caring about reliability, the sky is the limit. GM racing made ~900 HP from the Ecotec for sport-compact drag racing, but you can get away with a lot when you only have to run 9 seconds.

You could raise the engine speed and make more power by putting longer duration cams in it. The stock 2.0L turbo makes peak power at 5500 rpm, but the stock 2.4L NA makes peak power at 6700 rpm. So that would be ~20% increase in power. I estimate you could get maybe 360 HP from the stock engine components before you risk hurting it in a daily driver situation with the occasional track day thrown in. Past that you need better pistons, valves, and head gasket to cope with the heat and pressure.

If you really want to go for high-speed, high-boost operation and get the forged crank, rods, and pistons, 500 HP would be achievable, and the engine may last a season's worth of track driving. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Last edited:
For 2017 maybe we will see the 2.8L Duramax Diesel engine in the ATS.
The improvement in fuel economy would help justify the purchase.

The little diesel would reduce operating cost
in a vehicle that should last a million miles.

Some people will ask why?
I would like to ask why not?

For 2017 maybe we will see the 2.8L Duramax Diesel engine in the ATS.
The improvement in fuel economy would help justify the purchase.

The little diesel would reduce operating cost
in a vehicle that should last a million miles.

Some people will ask why?
I would like to ask why not?

VW's recent fire sale on diesel vehicles after a massive sales drop would be one very good reason.

gmauthority.com/blog/gm/cadillac/ats/2015-ats/2015-ats-sedan/2015-ats-l-sedan/

The next gen Camaro might be built on this platform with a wheelbase that is a few inches longer.

The ATS-L sedan is made in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back