Valvoline to Mobile 1- Truck Runs better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
lawnsbymike,
I disagree with most everything you said. I will stick with what's worked for me for 36 years. 10K OCIs, clean engines, engines that have never shown any sign of pre-mature wear. OH! Welcome to BITOG.
welcome2.gif

Some folks can't be taught. I'm not sure why he's even here.

Thousands of uoa in dnewtons database saying exactly what we are saying,but he knows better.
With any luck his visits won't be frequent since he knows it all already anyway.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

If u like Mobil 1 motor oil best and 3k oil changes is what works for you, then stick with it. Who are we to judge? It's ur vehicles and your money so u can do with them as u wish.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
That's not a credible source. Dave's interpretation of the SAE paper that he uses to support his claims is not correct.

That certainly may be the case, and you have much more expertise in the field than I do, but that is the best link to evaluate and review the claim, at least off the top of my head. Dave's paper is referenced, so at least one can properly follow the reasoning, research, and interpretations, as opposed to "my brother was told by his father-in-law's mechanic who read it somewhere on the internets."
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: edhackett
That's not a credible source. Dave's interpretation of the SAE paper that he uses to support his claims is not correct.

That certainly may be the case, and you have much more expertise in the field than I do, but that is the best link to evaluate and review the claim, at least off the top of my head. Dave's paper is referenced, so at least one can properly follow the reasoning, research, and interpretations, as opposed to "my brother was told by his father-in-law's mechanic who read it somewhere on the internets."
wink.gif

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
lawnsbymike,
I disagree with most everything you said. I will stick with what's worked for me for 36 years. 10K OCIs, clean engines, engines that have never shown any sign of pre-mature wear. OH! Welcome to BITOG.
welcome2.gif

No issues with you disagreeing, like I said if it works for you, it works for you. As far as what I believe being false, I wouldn't go that far out. As far as reality, whether your running Amsoil's finest, Mobile's finest, or Penzoils finest, these oils still become contaminated by normal wear particles, water, fuel, and other combustion by products. Just because there are "upgraded oils", better "additives", this and that, the same concept of the engine has been the same for many years. The type of oil doesn't change the purpose of the oil, (cleaning) and these same oils do not change the way the engine is built, and it they do not change the fact that they become contaminated over time. You can't physically tell me that your oil is cleaner and has less contamination at 10,000 miles than it did at 3,000 miles. Will it be okay? Sure. Is it healthier for the engine? No. A test can tell you this oil still has xx amount of protective properties, but IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT that the oil still has 10,000 miles worth of oil contamination in it. And you cannot change the natural burning process of your engine to prevent contamination, or have you found a way to do so?

Does it work for you? Stay at it. But it's kind of like a smoker. Many smokers and alcoholics live to be 80 years old, does that mean smoking and drinking is a healthy lifestyle?

From Penzoil: "Pennzoil does not recommend extending oil drain intervals beyond the "severe service" maintenance interval of three months or 3,000 miles." Penzoil was born before the Great Depression and is still in business. One thing I've learned over the few years, you need a head machined? Look around for the headshops that have been around the longest. They know what their doing and they've been in business for years for a reason, you see new ones come and go every day. Same with these "Engine Builders." Need a rebuild? Who are you going to take your engine to, the company that's been around since the 60's or the new guys on the corner of Bradford Street who claim to have the new "state of the art" shops? Penzoil seems to think 3k intervals are ideal, I'll follow their suggestion, after all, they were around before the depression.

Last edited:
Which oil companies "sell" oil change intervals, as opposed to following the manufacture's recommendations?

For example if I switch from regular Pennzoil to the new and improved Pure Plus, apply popular opinion, I should extend the OCI.

However if I change the engine oil early, it is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
Which oil companies "sell" oil change intervals, as opposed to following the manufacture's recommendations?

For example if I switch from regular Pennzoil to the new and improved Pure Plus, apply popular opinion, I should extend the OCI.

However if I change the engine oil early, it is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

In your example, did switching from the Regular Penzoil to the New and Improved Pure Plus change the basic design of your engine and it's burn cycle, or fact that the oil still becomes contaminated as use time extends? Also did this "improved" oil suddenly make more oil contamination healthier for an engine?

Another thing I'd like to add, I keep hearing "factory" recommended oil change intervals. Are these oci that are recommended by the factory for "severe" conditions or daily driving? Or do they even distinguish the difference. With that aside, have you seen my mentions of my driving conditions before your quick recommend a 10,000 mile oil changes. Someone mentioned hauling a few generators every day. Hauling a few "generators" every day is not in my daily driving "routine." This truck DOES NOT leave the driveway unless it's pulling 5,000-8,000 lbs on ANY GIVEN DAY. Would the factory still suggest the same drain intervals under these conditions, yet know one failed to point this out although it was mentioned several times as this truck does NOTHING, but pull all day. Did I mention this truck is in a landscaping route? It DOES NOT SEE HIGHWAY DRIVING. "STOP-GO, City Driving, Loaded W/ Weight" All Day - Everyday. The factory does suggest 7,500 oci's for "severe" conditions for the ones that keep mentioning "factory recommendations."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawnsbymike
From Penzoil: "Pennzoil does not recommend extending oil drain intervals beyond the "severe service" maintenance interval of three months or 3,000 miles." Penzoil was born before the Great Depression and is still in business.

Pennzoil is in the business to sell oil, don't forget.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: lawnsbymike
From Penzoil: "Pennzoil does not recommend extending oil drain intervals beyond the "severe service" maintenance interval of three months or 3,000 miles." Penzoil was born before the Great Depression and is still in business.

Pennzoil is in the business to sell oil, don't forget.

That statement I believe is true. It goes both ways. The car manufactures make more money when they bump the oil change intervals to 7,500 or 10,000 too. = More vehicles sold over a life time.
wink.gif

1.2 Million Mile Truck - 400 oil changes in his life = 3,000 Mile Oil Changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSunY_w957Q

Million Mile Vehicle - 3,000 mile oil changes

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/new...ed-cars#slide-1

Another 1 million miles: *Note* "Harman credits 3000-mile oil changes as the longevity"
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/new...ed-cars#slide-9

Now you can show me all the paper, "data", and test you want. But show me some sources, some videos, pictures, and car fax's of some cars going 1 million, even 750,000 miles on 10,000 mile oil changes and YOU MIGHT make me a believer otherwise. I've PERSONALLY seen the difference in my equipment, and I believe automobiles are the same way, the oil and air filter determines the whole life of the vehicle.

You can show me all the test in the world, but you can't show me personally any 1 million mile vehicles with 10,000 mile oil changes, you just WILL NOT see it. We're not talking about "over-hauled" or rebuilt engines neither. 200,000 miles on 10k oil changes, 4300,000? Possibly. I'd wager when you near 300,000 on 10,000 oil changes either the 10k intervals starts showing in the engine, if not long before and the myths and question-ability of the longevity of these "super oils" would come suspect quick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
This comparo makes no sense.

And youve got knowledgeable members telling you that more frequent oil changes strip the anti-wear layer off,which will increase wear,until the new oil lays down its anti-wear layer.
Yet you stand there on your soap box refusing to believe it.
What is obviously going over your head is the term serviceable oil.
You are draining serviceable oil to replace it with serviceable oil. Just because it's black doesn't mean in any way that it's dirty and leaving that dirt behind.
You come here asking questions then when they are answered you ignore it and say we are wrong.
So why did you even bother asking?
Every answer you've gotten is basically saying the same thing,yet you refuse to believe it.
By the way the earth is round too.
Just because your mind is closed to learn doesn't make the facts change.
A 3000 mile interval on your truck is absurd. I have a small fleet of them.
If you truly believe that all those engines achieved the mileages they did because you did frequent oil changes then bud I've got a bridge in every city to sell you,cheap. You can charge tolls on them and get set up to retire.
Since your here open your mind and learn something.
You think 3000 mile oil changes are keeping your engine clean do ya.
Well Tig can show you pics of his spotless engine internals at 10000 mile intervals,I can show you pics of 2 spotless first gen LS engines that I own running 10000 mile intervals too. In fact I'll put a stack of folding cash on that most every member here running extended drains can show you pics of their clean engines too.
So get over yourself.
And you touched on additive depletion. Exactly what additives do you think are getting depleted that they require a complete drain to help.
None of the anti-wear agents nor the friction modifiers deplete in any meaningful way during an interval. What depletes is the tbn,not the anti-wear agents,and those are what affect wear for the most part.
Look at Amsoil's best oil. It's rated for 25000 miles. The anti-wear and friction modifiers aren't really much higher than oils meant for half the mileage.
Why?
Because they don't get depleted. What gets depleted is the oils acid neutralizing ability and a quart of make up oil every 10000 miles cures that.
Let me guess. Your one of those guys that think because the oils black it needs to be changed. Obviously.
I'll bet you think synthetic oil is more slippery too.
Wrong again.
The benefits to synthetics are extended intervals. They don't reduce wear vs their conventional counterparts. If you bothered to educate yourself before opening your mouth and inserting your foot you'd have learned that there is no wear difference between a syn or conventional when running a 5000 mile interval. In fact mineral oil has an edge because they are polar on such a short interval.
So you are spending more money for absolutely no gain.
A fool and his money.......
And just to add to your data point of high mileage vehicles getting there because you changed the oil frequently I've got work vans with 450k,personal vehicles nearing 300k,and in the past I've driven 2 different trucks to the 450k mileage and they ran fantastic when totalled or broken beyond fiscally responsible repair.
All my vehicles run a 10000 mile drain and in the case of the work vans they are fully loaded with tools including a generator,air compressor and tools enough for a 5 man framing crew and they have strong running engines that have never been opened up running 10k intervals using the cheapest oil I can find.
So wake up,because your dreaming if you've fooled yourself into believing your 3000 mile oil change intervals made that happen.
I can show you a dozen examples of engines running well beyond those miles using a lesser oil at triple the mileage interval.
I find it amusing that you start a thread here,get answers,refuse to believe the answers and dismiss them like you're an expert.
I suggest re-reading this thread,absorbing the answers and thanking everyone for sharing.
Or just keep doing what your doing because you think it's best,and you would be wrong.
The funniest part I've read is that on oil with 3000 miles you've convinced yourself the engine sounds better with new oil.
That's funny. Because oil actually requires oxidation to activate the anti-wear agents and heat. So your new oil is actually less effective than the oil you dumped.
But the mind is a powerful thing,as proven but the notions you've convinced yourself of.
No one here has anything to teach you as you already know it all.
You even had Dnewton answer you. This guy has multiple thousands of uoa,compiled from over a decade being here,as well as acquiring them elsewhere. He has so much real data,that reflects hundreds of different brands of engines it would make your head spin,yet you ignore his advice.
He has real world data from which he derives his opinion which you dismiss.
Perhaps you get all your data and info from commercials. Heaven knows the marketing departments of oil companies certainly is the right place to learn from. Did you know if a pretty girl in a bikini changes your oil your live forever.
And your water comparison isn't even remotely relevant. Nor is it apples to apples.
I've got a great idea. How about I dump serviceable oil,and replace it with serviceable oil. Good idea?
Maybe try the search function. I was surprised to learn that brand new oil in bottles isn't as clean,based on particle counts,as used oil is as long as the filter is still serviceable.
So that new "clean" oil your pouring in is actually less clean than what's coming out. Just because the oil is black in no way means it's dirty.
Apparently you need to adjust your entire outlook on today's lubricants and their abilities because you aren't even stuck in yesterday.
I'll apologize right now for this post if it offends you. I'm not trying to offen you however your the type of guy who is set in his ways no matter how backwards,and you won't admit your wrong therefore you need to be addressed in a way that will make you question what you think you know.
The only way to do that is to challenge you as I have in this post. Only then will you did deeper,in order to prove me wrong,and while you did you'll see the points that were made by myself and others were right,and then you'll learn.
Because right now the gates are shut,and that's sad. Life is learning Donetsk g everyday. You aren't learning which stunts you in all aspects of your life.
Do you really want to be sitting around with your buddies,spouting off all that nonsense you've posted only to be corrected and look foolish in front of everyone.
Or would you rather be the guy doing the correcting. That's your choice,because it is a choice. You can choose to learn,to evolve,or you can ignore truth and face extinction.
Would you rather sit in the garage and teach your son truth,or feed him that nonsense you've posted here,so that he goes out and repeats you,and he gets corrected and looks like a fool and in his mind his dad,his hero,the man who has taught him everything is wrong and he looks the fool because of something you taught him.
It's your call.
There was a time people believed the sun revolved around the earth and the earth was the center of the universe,And there was a time the world was thought to be flat.
Those stubborn people refused to believe the truth and in the process they lost something more valuable than money.
Sit down. Read some threads. Open your mind. Stay awhile. We are glad to have ya.
You'll find we have some very,very smart people here. We've got novelists,engineers,IT technicians,mechanics,tribologists and everything in between.
I learn something new here every single day. I've learned things here that at one time would have bet my life on and I was wrong.
I was once like you. Bullheaded,refused to believe what I was being told. To be honest common sense does tell me that new oil is better than old and that short intervals are better than extending them but the engineering department here at bitog has proven to me that what I thought was common sense was wrong,and I was explained why it was wrong.
If you stay long enough you'll see. From where your standing bitog is a brave new world,challenging all you think you know about oil.
Are you up for the challenge. Will you hear the call. Or will you forever remain decades behind b
Yes the 60s built some bad a$$ cars,but the oil sucked. You are trying to keep that manner of thinking today,and it no longer applies.
There will be a planet of the apes moment where it hits you and you'll then see its open eyes,first you gotta hear(see) the words.

EPIC POST!

I been reading this thread and have a question about my OCI. I bought my truck new back in 00. Its a 01 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4. I have used Valvoline Conventinal oil since day 1. I switched to Max Life as this guy has at 75,000 miles. I have always changed my oil every 3,000 miles. My truck used around a quart between OCI. Should I go to 5,000 miles or stay at my 3,000 mile OCI? My truck has just over 200,000 miles on it now.

I always stay at 3/3000. I just feel more comfortable with that plus that's what my owners manual and FSM also both say.

In the fact vs myth section in the
above post, what does the 1st
paragraph of the last fact say?

It gives a generic, unsourced, unverified, blanket, one-size-fits all recommendation about severe service oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
^ totally out of character for a quick lube business to be misleading like that.

The quick lube industry is using OCIs as a marketing strategy?

LOL

Do any oil companies use extended oil change intervals
(OCIs) as a marketing strategy?

For example if I switched to new and improved
brand X instead of plain old brand Y,
I could extend my OCI by 50% over the
manufacture's recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back