Weird private-label tire names

Strangest tyre I've seen was the Tomato, around the tyre was writing with stuff like ''Tomato boys and girls love to have fun.'' Back when our import restrictions were lifted in the late '80's, early '90's we got all sorts of weird stuff on the Japanese domestic imports.

Originally Posted By: methusaleh
I haven't heard of any of the ones mentioned here, but I got a good chuckle from them!

I've seen "Power King"-- as if the tire is going to magically add 50HP to the engine or something.

And something along the lines of "The Force"-- is the tire advertising an ability to provide locomotion on its own?

Many trailer tires are Power Kings, especially on RVs.

I saw a semi with "Wind Power" drive tires. I'm pretty sure it wasn't powered by wind....I've also seen "Double Coin" truck tires. I think no-name tires on semis is scarier than on a small car.

Actually, Double Coin is NOT a no-name tire. They are more and more common...I have seen many that have been capped (by fly-by-night outfits like Bandag, Michelin, and Goodyear), and more and more semis-especially O/O's-running them as steer tires.

Just remembered: we got a trailer tire in at work...an Oliver cap, casing by "Tru-Tred".

Not really "weird", but I saw a highway coach (think: Greyhound) yesterday...drive tires looked like caps, tag had beat-up Firestones I suspect were the old steer tires, and the steer tires were brand-new Dynatracs.

In about 1979 or so, my parents bought a Civic. IIRC the tires that came on that car were Mohawk Ultissimos.

Edit: Which now I see was a brand owned by Yokohama, so that makes some sense.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: methusaleh
I haven't heard of any of the ones mentioned here, but I got a good chuckle from them!

I've seen "Power King"-- as if the tire is going to magically add 50HP to the engine or something.

And something along the lines of "The Force"-- is the tire advertising an ability to provide locomotion on its own?

Many trailer tires are Power Kings, especially on RVs.

Considering a set of power king super traction on my Jeep

Double coin tires at this point have millions of accumulative miles on them. They are made in China and seem to be a very good tire, at least for the big rig market.

But they are from China and can't be any good......right?

The quality of a tire is dependent upon way more than the rubber. You all know that. I remember a recall on some Chinese tires sold at Tire King (I think that was the store name). I was in New Jersey on business and heard about it on the radio there. Apparently, this manufacturer decided that one less cap ply was just fine. The tires looked, rode, and handled just fine, that is, until they came apart.

Even tires manufacturers with long-standing good reputations occasionally produce duds. I remember a set of Firestone 721's that came on a 79 Bonneville my parents bought as well as a set of Aramid belted radials my dad bought for my 72 Pontiac at Firestone. (My dad stopped buying Firestones after the second set of duds.)

These days I will only buy tires that get high marks from reputable publications and have good reviews from users who have actually put some miles on them installed on cars similar to mine.

Seems like there is still an element of chance with tires no matter what you do!

Originally Posted By: CKN
Double coin tires at this point have millions of accumulative miles on them. They are made in China and seem to be a very good tire, at least for the big rig market.

But they are from China and can't be any good......right?

As somebody once said.... CHINA can make products of the highest quality, think iphone etc, or they can build to the lowest price point, think dollar store [censored]... and everything in between.

Money talks...

Triangle!

Not really the shape I think of when I think of tires

Mayrun!

It may run....it may pop too. No one is certain.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Triangle!

Not really the shape I think of when I think of tires

When you buy tires you choose traction, long life, and cheap price. Choose any two.

But with Triangle(tm), you get all three sides!
thankyou2.gif

Triangle is another brand that seems to be running on Big Rigs as well. Not as popular as Double Coin but they are on the road....sometimes next to you......

The one that always reduces me to giggles (really) is Achilles brand tyres...double meaning and all.

I can see a set in my future, maybe one day.

Double Coin, have been used in mines around here for a long long time, apparently quite successful.

Seen some triangles, and am always reminded that if you take two wankel rotors and place on a flat surface, with a plank on top, the plank will roll smooth and flat even 'though the rotors are "triangular"

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Where are rubber trees? Asia.
Where's China? Asia.

Where was latex vulcanization invented? America.
Where was it perfected? England.
This is fun! Your turn.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Even tires manufacturers with long-standing good reputations occasionally produce duds. I remember a set of Firestone 721's that came on a 79 Bonneville my parents bought as well as a set of Aramid belted radials my dad bought for my 72 Pontiac at Firestone. (My dad stopped buying Firestones after the second set of duds.)

Firestone didn't occasionally make bad tires. We had a set of 500's, one blew out the sidewall all the way around without warning- still had lots of good tread. If my Mom had been at the wheel instead of my burly brother, we would have totally lost control instead of just fishtailed all over the highway. He muscled that car back into control like a hollywood stunt driver.

Later on we had a set of 721's that cracked and showed belts while still fairly new. That was it for Firestone's for us.

Then there's the whole Explorer debacle. Why people defend this company and the Decatur plant is beyond me. I know Bridgestone owns them now but they can rot in [censored] as far as I'm concerned. Want my business? Don't try to kill my entire family.

Back to the original topic, I concede that Chinese tires may be OK at some point, but part of that process is to stop using silly throw-away brand names and establish a viable brand that builds a good reputation. Perhaps Double Coin is the first step.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Where are rubber trees? Asia.
Where's China? Asia.

Where was latex vulcanization invented? America.
Where was it perfected? England.
This is fun! Your turn.

Where was 1,3 butadiene first identified? France

Where was 1,3 butadiene first isolated from petroleum pyrolysis products? America

Where was 1,3 butadiene copolymerized with styrene to make a rubber suitable for automobile tires? Germany

Now your turn - how many companies currently use natural latex to produce automobile tires?

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Then there's the whole Explorer debacle.

There were plenty of contributing factors in that series of events aside from the tires. Ford was recommending inflation pressure of 26 psi for the type of ride that the average person, whose idea of "off-roading" is parking in the grass, would desire. Since we all know how well the average person maintains tire pressures you know that many were driving around on mushy tires. I seem to recall that most of the rollovers occurred in states where summer temps were hot and that contributed further to temperature related failures of the tires. Then, add the fact the the Ford "Exploder" at the time was basically a gussied up truck and you have a recipe for failure. You noticed that Ford completely revamped the suspension on these vehicles soon after the lawsuits?

But, like you, I never bought Firestone tires due to the two poor experiences my family had in the past. My 2012 Mazda 3 came with Bridgestones from the factory and they were junk, too. But, then again, a lot of OEM tires are junk. (A lot are good, too, just not mine.)

Back