Help save the local butcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked at a small family-owned butcher back in the day. I miss that place.

Now that I'm living in a rural area that seems to be a black hole of [censored] customer service, I miss that greatly. I do have a butcher nearby, but they're unwilling to get anything good for me. In the past two years, I've called them asking about shaved ribeyes for cheesesteaks, skirt steak, and short ribs. Each time, they said they didn't have any and didn't care to track some down. Bah.

Our area locker does an outstanding job, and we've supported it with our business for many years. It keeps our dollars in our local community, since the beef that I purchase was also raised and grazed just a few miles down the road.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Now that I'm living in a rural area that seems to be a black hole of [censored] customer service, I miss that greatly. I do have a butcher nearby, but they're unwilling to get anything good for me. In the past two years, I've called them asking about shaved ribeyes for cheesesteaks, skirt steak, and short ribs. Each time, they said they didn't have any and didn't care to track some down. Bah.

If what you say is correct, then it sounds like the perfect opportunity to start a business. You have some experience, and by your observations the market is clearly underserved. With the growing "buy local" trend it could be a real opportunity to cash in.

There's a retail outlet for a local restaurant/foodservice wholesaler that often has excellent prices on excellent cuts. Much tastier and easier to chew than the same cut in the local supermarket.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Our area locker does an outstanding job, and we've supported it with our business for many years. It keeps our dollars in our local community, since the beef that I purchase was also raised and grazed just a few miles down the road.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

If what you say is correct, then it sounds like the perfect opportunity to start a business. You have some experience, and by your observations the market is clearly underserved. With the growing "buy local" trend it could be a real opportunity to cash in.

That's a fine idea, although I'm not sure if the area could support it. It's very rural up here; Coors Light and hot dog territory. Microbrews and organic food are generally thought of with suspicion.

In any case, I'm hoping to relocate within the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back