Would you buy on sale if you have a stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hpb
I don't get why someone would want several years supply of oil, but I'm all ears if anyone cares to explain it.

It's gotta be some conspiracy theory end-of-the-world scenario. Or you just like to have a real smoky house fire.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
".....Only the dog understands and is always on my side

My best cat is the one who follows me around like a dog & knows "stay" & "come" commands. We are still working on "fetch".

Z.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

What will happen to the oil in a sealed container after 5 or 10 years ?

How about 40 years? Absolutely nothing. I am one of three or four that posted old oil still in the original can. One posted the VOA results and the numbers were as good as an oil made last year.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Left is Valvoline Transmission fluid,
Center is Valvoline,
Right is Havoline from 07/1978

The Valvoline is unknown since there is no date.

P1000005.JPG

P1000007.JPG

P1000006.JPG

Originally Posted By: Cristobal

Should I go to the Black Friday sale at Pep Boys and get $60.00 worth of Mobil 1 (12 quarts) ...

No. Don't fall for the hype.

Shelf life is as long as you have a car that uses that grade. Clutchdisc is running Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30 that was produced about 10 years ago--from my stash (he fixes my computer problems; I do his oil and lube jobs).

Here is my stash earlier this year:
Sept2013_zps32df8e2c.jpg

Here is my stash about 10 years ago:
Stash.jpg

I'll add to my stash if I feel the price is too good to pass up. Anyone ever notice that gasoline prices, crude prices, etc. have fallen and the regular prices for oil we use to maintain our vehicles either stays the same of goes higher? That tells me if I see a good price on oil for one of my vehicles to grab it. Opinions vary.

Hee, hee, and with my stash which is mostly 30 weight, but two 5-qt M1 syn 5w20s, I went ahead and bought some Valvoline 0w20 to try out in the Ranger. The ranger takes 20 wt, my other 4 vehicles take 30 wt. As I only plan to by older vehicles, preferably pre 2000, 30 wt should suffice for many years. Also could not resist a 5qt jug of Maxlife full syn 5w30 for $6 off coupon the other day.

Guess I am an oil junkie!

What happens to the stash when a newer greater more better oil becomes the rage?

Can't speak for others, but my stashes always get used.

As far as newer oils coming out, the stuff I stash always meets all our vehicles' required specifications at the time I buy the oil, so something newer isn't really an issue with me.

We keep our vehicles 10 to 15 years typically, so there's plenty of time to use up a stash for us.

Now, for the first time, my vehicle (Ram 5.7L) and my wife's vehicle (Mustang 3.6L) take the same grade, 5W-20, and I buy oil that meets both the Chrysler specs for mine and the Ford specs for hers. In the past, our 2 vehicles always took different grades, at least for part of the year, and I still never had trouble with a stash leftover when it became time to either sell a vehicle or pass it along to another family member

I've never been a slave to fashion.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

We keep our vehicles 10 to 15 years typically, so there's plenty of time to use up a stash for us.

Thats where i'm at too.

Yes I'd buy more oil on sale if it were for products I want to try at prices that only come round once every three years or so.

My stash is mainly SOPUS thanks to all the offers over the last several years. I'd like to try M1 and Kendall, 0w20 and 0w30, and maybe even semi syn or conventional to compare it to full synthetic which I've been running for 5 years or so now.

Everybody,s situation is different. Been buying and stashing some oil lately. Run two older vehicles. My stash had run low and my CRV needed a change. Live in a small town where oil prices and selection are terrible. Have to drive 200 to 500 km to find better shopping. Went to walmart they had no oil on sale. Regular price was still less than home, had to buy PP for twice the sale price because I needed it now.

If I can find synthetic for $25 a jug I grab it. I want at least one extra change on hand and 3 or 4 oil changes is not out of the question. Beyond that I might be in obsessive compulsive packrat mode.

Recently the CRV developed an oil leak so I got a jug of CanTire formula1 conventional until I get it fixed. Did not want to waste the synthetic. I will keep buying until I have at
Least 20L of each oil I need on hand. Then I never have to delay a oil change.

Everybody,s situation is different. Been buying and stashing some oil lately. Run two older vehicles. My stash had run low and my CRV needed a change. Live in a small town where oil prices and selection are terrible. Have to drive 200 to 500 km to find better shopping. Went to walmart they had no oil on sale. Regular price was still less than home, had to buy PP for twice the sale price because I needed it now.

If I can find synthetic for $25 a jug I grab it. I want at least one extra change on hand and 3 or 4 oil changes is not out of the question. Beyond that I might be in obsessive compulsive packrat mode.

Recently the CRV developed an oil leak so I got a jug of CanTire formula1 conventional until I get it fixed. Did not want to waste the synthetic. I will keep buying until I have at
Least 20L of each oil I need on hand. Then I never have to delay a oil change.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What happens to the stash when a newer greater more better oil becomes the rage?

There will never be a better oil than Maxlife Nextgen!
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back