A New Cert mark for ILSAC GF-6B?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting, I would lean towards keeping the current api starburst, and leave it to people to choose the correct weight whether it ends up being 0-16 or 0-8, etc

So any 0-16 would be gf-6b or not necessarily?
If not then there will potentially be 0w16 one gf6a and the other gf6b? And only one correct spec for the car... That is going to be confusing...

Last edited:
I hope they take this opportunity to introduce a Garanimals style icons. Match the animal on your oil cap to the bottle in the store. Like maybe a horse for 0w-40, a deer for 5-30, a bird for 0w-20 and a butterfly for 0w-16. Then maybe an elephant for 50 weight oils and above?

It's just... can millennials be trusted to distinguish between a starburst and whatever else they come up with?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
It's just... can millennials be trusted to distinguish between a starburst and whatever else they come up with?

I think that if DOT 5 brake fluid teaches us anything, it's that the average consumer is confused by automotive fluids. But seriously, DOT 4 supersedes DOT 3, but DOT 5 is completely incompatible with DOT 4?! You need DOT 5.1 for that.

The only reason it isn't a bigger problem is because the average consumer never touches their brake fluid.

Originally Posted By: Tabor

I think that if DOT 5 brake fluid teaches us anything, it's that the average consumer is confused by automotive fluids. But seriously, DOT 4 supersedes DOT 3, but DOT 5 is completely incompatible with DOT 4?! You need DOT 5.1 for that.

The only reason it isn't a bigger problem is because the average consumer never touches their brake fluid.

Well said.

Last edited:
The biggest issue with the current certification approach is the amount of effort and resources focused on the pursuit of fuel economy improvements that are essentially in the noise.

Special cert mark? Waste of time.

Dye the oil, all brands, and require the same color cap on the bottles of all brands. Make it easy for both grease monkeys and the unwashed masses to do it right.

Blue? Blue dyed oil and blue bottle caps? How about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back