APPLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Another wonderful fall item (of course you can get them any time from the supermarket).

We get ours from Wm Schrober, who comes to our farmer's market and has a ton of fields not too far away. Most years we pick our own at another local farm, but we just didn't have enough time for a variety of reasons. So we got two peck of apples, cortland and golden delicious, and made a bunch of applesauce. I love apple sauce, prefer it over apple pie. And, with a toddler in the house, its a great snack, especially when we know the source and what was added, which was just filtered water, allspice, and of course, cinnamon...

12 quarts of peeled apples cook down to a bit more than four quarts of apple sauce.

BB546C06-E1F0-4734-8A46-EC97812A454F_zpsdbzhte5b.jpg

6268BA6E-2C16-4C80-A52C-35066F0D4D90_zpsqxbadd6z.jpg

I absolutely love eating apples, especially golden delicious with some good horseradish cheese. But this applesauce is good any time too.

Interesting that you have what appears to be a gas stove. After claiming in the past that your 1960's electric stove was superior to gas, and berating those of us who dared insinuate that gas may actually be superior (at one point you actually called it a crutch), I'd be interested in knowing the reasons why you suddenly have a gas stove.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Interesting that you have what appears to be a gas stove. After claiming in the past that your 1960's electric stove was superior to gas, and berating those of us who dared insinuate that gas may actually be superior (at one point you actually called it a crutch), I'd be interested in knowing the reasons why you suddenly have a gas stove.

Looks like a Samsung. I have one and I like it.

Ummm, I'd recommend that you work on comprehension and figuring out your mental state that causes you to act so pompous. Boiling water and pancakes, right? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2793662

I've said more than once that it's a bad artist who blames their tools for shortcomings, rather than their skills. You clearly are one of that type, incompetent to assess your own skills, shrouded by a pompous attitude to think that everything you do is great in every way, yet arrogant enough to look down on other approaches - it's all over the board, not just in the cooking section. I'm sure you would not be able to get a quality product from an electric cook top, but it doesn't mean that others can't. And heck, lots of people pay a premium for dual fuel specifically to have electric elements in the oven. Even more cook in induction and other forms of electric heating.

I grew up cooking on gas. It just so happened that the house we moved into had an electric range (with natural gas service for heat). It is/was a unique size, 40", different from what is sold today. I loved it for the classic look, though electric wasnt our first choice, and we had plenty of good years making plenty of delicious food on it. I sure you will have some pompous comment about how it can't possibly be as good for whatever reason. Just keep it to yourself.

When we decided to refurbish our kitchen, I was really conflicted. I loved the 40" size, the double ovens, the extra space on top. But I've always wanted to have gas... I've just never been arrogant enough to claim that it's impossible to make good food on electric, when we've done it for years, and much of the developed world cooks off of variants of electric heating, like induction. Even back in 2010 I was asking about Merritt and O'Keefe ranges, and even as early as when we moved in, we thought about the plumbing to get gas into the kitchen.

So in the end, my wife chose the appliances for reasons of her choosing, and we did go to gas because if we were changing ranges, it is what we always knew we would go to.

So it still amazes me that you can't get past blaming your tools for making shoddy products. People can, and do, make fine food on electric, just as they do gas, and that's only ever been my point of discussion. We have gas service, changed appliances, and went how we went. We would have cooked our apples more than sufficiently on our electric range, and if you are incompetent to do so, that's not our problem and no reason for you to behave arrogantly. In fact, it's a good indication of immaturity. Which is really sad for a 70+ year old person, and just makes me hope that you do find mental help. Seniors need it too.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Another wonderful fall item (of course you can get them any time from the supermarket).

We get ours from Wm Schrober, who comes to our farmer's market and has a ton of fields not too far away. Most years we pick our own at another local farm, but we just didn't have enough time for a variety of reasons. So we got two peck of apples, cortland and golden delicious, and made a bunch of applesauce. I love apple sauce, prefer it over apple pie. And, with a toddler in the house, its a great snack, especially when we know the source and what was added, which was just filtered water, allspice, and of course, cinnamon...

12 quarts of peeled apples cook down to a bit more than four quarts of apple sauce.

BB546C06-E1F0-4734-8A46-EC97812A454F_zpsdbzhte5b.jpg

6268BA6E-2C16-4C80-A52C-35066F0D4D90_zpsqxbadd6z.jpg

I absolutely love eating apples, especially golden delicious with some good horseradish cheese. But this applesauce is good any time too.

20.gif
Wish you could send me some!! :^)

Looks great. I have an apple addiction and we must have gone through over 100lbs so far this fall. At our local orchard Ambrosia seemed to be exceptional this year, even better than their Honey Crisp.

That is good eating , My grandmother used to do that all the time , Thanks for the reminder time to go get some
wink.gif

Nothing like homemade anything. Been using my great grandmother's recipe for applesauce all my life. Have a box of her handwritten recipes and I always think of her when cooking.

Im sorry but you have a serious problem. Please get over yourself and if you can not post in a way that will benefit others then please stop posting.

That looks delicious, I have gotten into eating quite a few apples this year and so many to choose from in the fall seems like.

thanks for sharing

jc

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Im sorry but you have a serious problem. Please get over yourself and if you can not post in a way that will benefit others then please stop posting.

+1,000
JHRZ2, Pop is on a crusade to prove you wrong...
his new target is our own Clevy by the way (which doesn't care anyway..... :p)
Please live on with your life. you have nothing to prove him and the way you're going, by his age will have more than what he (supposedly) has, and with more fun. it just doesn't gets into his head that are more ways to reach the bottom line....

Originally Posted By: pandus13

+1,000
Please live on with your life. you have nothing to prove him and the way you're going, by his age will have more than what he (supposedly) has, and with more fun. it just doesn't gets into his head that are more ways to reach the bottom line....

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
ROTFLMAO!!

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: pandus13

+1,000

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
ROTFLMAO!!

Thanks, Wayne! you made my day.... i rest my case....
P.S. i've finish an apple pie yesterday, mmm mmmm mmmmm

Agreed and well put. I think the best thing for us to do when he makes pompous remarks like this, which by far makes up a majority of this posts, would be to ignore him. He must get some form of self satisfaction via his comments and our responses,

Last edited:
Not to come across as pompous, but I sure hope those are organic apples, especially with children consuming them. Apples are number one on the "dirty dozen" list for foods contaminated with pesticides.

I've never met a person as arrogant and sanctimonious as Pop_Rivit comes off in this forum. My guess is he's a sad old man, and very disappointed with how his life turned out. If he is actually as confident as he comes off, he wouldn’t target folks (e.g., Clevy, JHZR2)for the sole purpose of putting them down.

He has no kids, so he’s been forced to settle for therapy dogs. At least his dogs have no choice but to listen to him pontificate, unlike the humans he's pushed out of his life. If you don’t agree with him you’re a fool – and watch out if you enjoy eating anything other than dry toast and prunes or are of the opinion that a fun time involves more than mapping out cemeteries, attending the occasional senior’s dance and trolling motor oil boards. He claims to be a successful businessman, but lives in the sticks, and drives old [censored]. He won't watch the idiot box, and visits with seniors who physically can't get up to leave when he starts spewing his drivel. If he can’t win an argument, he’ll pick your grammar and spelling apart which makes him feel like the man he wishes he was 50 years ago. At least we can ignore him and he’ll go away like the bully he is. He's a has-been (or more likely a never has-been) in need of some serious counseling. Pop, please get the therapy you so desperately need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back