where is the best deal on Dexron VI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need 8 quarts (or 2 gallons) for a job next week, what is the best price on something with quality at a smokin deal? - prefer genuine GM or a big name like Shell, Mobil, etc. - no Supertech, it makes me nervous being the walmart low bid stuff - this is for my mom's car and she doesn't need any issues!

Supertech is the one wal mart thing Id not worry about, since there apparently is minimal differences in formulations, and they are licensed one by one.

Ive run Pennzoil and had no issues. I was able to get a discount from my local mom and pop place that was offering a sale on the regular D/M stuff.

Wal-Mart

Red jug of Valvoline Maxlife...
http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/15125768?&veh=mweb

If you have a GM car prior to 2006, read your manual carefully, look on the vehicle specific forum, or google the car / transmission combo...

Some of the transmissions prior to 2006 still require Dexron III.

My 02 Saturn SL is one of those cars...
In that case, the blue jug of Maxlife is Dexron III...

I used supertech dex 6 in my cadillac escalade. Transmission shifted normal. No need to worry. Use supertech w confidence

I've used the above mentioned Havoline as well as Mag1 Dexron VI. The Mag1 is actually slighty cheaper per quart. Dosed it up with Lubegard Platinum in my LS430.

Supertech DexronVI is just as good as any other licensed DexronVI. I would get that if I had trouble finding Maxlife dex/merc, but the Maxlife represents one of the best bang for the buck synthetic ATFs currently available.

Originally Posted By: stang5
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M1Y3KZA...i=AC_SY200_QL40

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin 'bout!

See this is the kind of post that makes this forum the best on the whole Internet!

I love dealing with amazon, and I wanted a name brand, I prefer synthetic, and I wanted a cheap price even lower than Supertech - and even though I am a helluva Internet searcher, stang5 came through and found what myself and no one else could - you ROCK, dude!
11.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: writes123
I've used the above mentioned Havoline as well as Mag1 Dexron VI. The Mag1 is actually slighty cheaper per quart. Dosed it up with Lubegard Platinum in my LS430.

Now if there is one area where I may know as much as anyone in the world, it's the Lexus LS series. (LSCowboy of Club Lexus fame)

However, I am gonna have to disagree with your choice here, the Aisin A650E/A761E in your LS430 has arguably the longest life of any transmission ever made, averaging greater than 300,000 miles of service life and sometimes going to 400,00 or 500,000+ miles - and it accomplishes this magic via Toyota T-4 fluid and/or Toyota W/S (World Standard) fluid. (both custom blends designed by Aisin Engineering and refined by Exxon/Mobil)

So why in the world would you think you could improve on the world champion of transmission longevity? You can't. - use the correct fluid and do not "dose it up" if you want the crazy 400,000 mile tranny life and you want the legendary imperceptible LS series shifting that Mercedes and BMW envy!

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
Originally Posted By: writes123

Now if there is one area where I may know as much as anyone in the world, it's the Lexus LS series. (LSCowboy of Club Lexus fame)

However, I am gonna have to disagree with your choice here, the Aisin A650E/A761E in your LS430 has arguably the longest life of any transmission ever made, averaging greater than 300,000 miles of service life and sometimes going to 400,00 or 500,000+ miles - and it accomplishes this magic via Toyota T-4 fluid and/or Toyota W/S (World Standard) fluid. (both custom blends designed by Aisin Engineering and refined by Exxon/Mobil)

So why in the world would you think you could improve on the world champion of transmission longevity? You can't. - use the correct fluid and do not "dose it up" if you want the crazy 400,000 mile tranny life and you want the legendary imperceptible LS series shifting that Mercedes and BMW envy!

So I have to ask, then why are you looking to use Dex VI? Or did I miss that it's for a different application?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So I have to ask, then why are you looking to use Dex VI? Or did I miss that it's for a different application?

the Dexron VI is not for a Lexus, it's for a 2000 Chevy Malibu, driven by a friend of my Mom's

Last edited:
Hi Cowboy,

I use Maxlife syn ATF in my sons 2003 Monte Carlo SS and it is performing like a new tranny with 99K miles. I changed it to Maxlife at 50K miles and also just recently did a refill with Maxlife at 95K miles and the fluid looked like new. At 50K I also used LubeGard Red but this last time I did not use it. I was out of LubeGard at the time but may still add it.

I do use WS fluid in my LS and have done 2 drain and fills with it. The LS tranny is smooth as silk...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back