Battery sprung a leak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Varta made in Germany in our 08 VW.

Most use is
You can see the bubble that is constant Hydrogen purging.

20B8B627-1797-404F-815A-88E99B9252EE_zpsqfahbukv.jpg

There is acid migration on the sticker.

A0DA7753-4919-4788-AAC1-8E9ED7F0A8F4_zpsaxfohgfw.jpg

I did a load test with a real carbon pile and this wouldn't give me 300A. Car starts perfect, even below freezing, but thats because the need for CCA is overstated for many climates. Still, its an indication that the impedance has grown sufficiently high. Unfortunately I cannot find my impedance meter to get the reading.

Pepboys has a 25% off coupon that makes their bosch 36+96 warranty H6/BCI 48 battery the same price as the non-maxx at Wal-mart, so that's what we will be getting. AAP for some reason doesn't seem to have a silver grade battery...

Wow.

I never had that happen to me. That is crazy. I mean it is older and has some mileage so I don't see what it couldn't.

You think outside temperature had something to do with it?

If the case is leaking fluid either through a crack or around battery posts then get that battery out of the car as fast as possible. The acidic fluid will do serious corrosion/rust damage to every metal surface on the car that it touches.

Last edited:
After coupon

AAP has a gold for 98$

and a platinum AGM for 125

... kinda pricy compared to group 35

I have a Varta OEM leak in exactly the same way. It was from my 07 Jetta, and also the negative terminal. Could be a manufacturing defect?

Replace with a Varta Silverline.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
If the case is leaking fluid either through a crack or around battery posts then get that battery out of the car as fast as possible. The acidic fluid will do serious corrosion/rust damage to every metal surface on the car that it touches.
this

Top post sealing problem has always been an issue on almost all top-post wet sell automotive battery designs.

Some, like Yuasa and Jpn Panasonic car batteries, have perfected this to the point where I have yet to come across 1 single top post venting (leaks) due to sealing problems.

I have had frequent JC and Exide top post leaks. The only way to minimise damage is to use chemically-treated felt washers, and replace them every year or 2 (when the acid-neutralising chemicals depleted).

Q.

The OEM battery in our Town & Country had a physical hole in the top, near the post. It was a small pinhole, but it was there, and it ate through the battery cable end in about 5 months flat. The dealer replaced the entire powertrain harness, to the tune of $1,400 in parts alone (warranty), even though the cable end was a bolt-on part to the rest of the harness.

Yeah, get that battery outta there!

Originally Posted By: Rand

After coupon

AAP has a gold for 98$

and a platinum AGM for 125

... kinda pricy compared to group 35

Link/code? I don't have to pick up the bosch - didn't pay yet.

But we take a group 47 or 48.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Top post sealing problem has always been an issue on almost all top-post wet sell automotive battery designs.

Some, like Yuasa and Jpn Panasonic car batteries, have perfected this to the point where I have yet to come across 1 single top post venting (leaks) due to sealing problems.

I have had frequent JC and Exide top post leaks. The only way to minimise damage is to use chemically-treated felt washers, and replace them every year or 2 (when the acid-neutralising chemicals depleted). Q.

I would add-a solid coating of lithium grease & spraying battery terminal protector liberally on top of the battery helps as well. Seems rare when a Johnson Controls battery DOESN'T corrode on top!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Seems rare when a Johnson Controls battery DOESN'T corrode on top!

I've said this for years! They seem to be a good starting battery, just a messy, acid barfing one...

Advance Auto online code WD48 gets you $50 off $125+ thru 11/29.

Before code looks like Group 48 Autocraft Gold(48H6) $146.99 and subtract $18 Core charge.

Group 47 Gold(47H5) $161.99 and $18 core. 3 year free replacement warranty.

I got the AAP battery today. They offer a silver BCI group 48/DIN H6, but they call it a model 91 or something. I would have bought that over a gold, but they all had old date codes.

So I got an 11/14 sated gold 48/H6. Bought it in Delaware, tax free. I'm going to charge it for a few days and then install over the weekend. We will drive another car until then.

Thanks again for the code, sayjac! I was happy with the Bosch deal at PB, but this was even better, and it let me find a good AAP edge syn oil change deal too!

Please tell me why you're charging a new battery for 3 days? Why not just install it and be done?

Glad the AAP code was helpful. The PB 25% off online coupon you mentioned is the closest one I've seen to one of the AAP codes. Tough to beat AAP with a code for a battery.

And the Delaware no tax deal is even sweeter. Nice.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Please tell me why you're charging a new battery for 3 days? Why not just install it and be done?

Because batteries self discharge, so doing so will ensure it is fully topped and float-charged; and who knows when the last maintenance was done to charge the battery we got - likely never.

We have multiple cars so dont need to drive that one, and I can do it when I have time. No rush. Topped up battery. Success.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: maximus

Because batteries self discharge, so doing so will ensure it is fully topped and float-charged; and who knows when the last maintenance was done to charge the battery we got - likely never.

We have multiple cars so dont need to drive that one, and I can do it when I have time. No rush. Topped up battery. Success.

If the store that you bought your batteriy from is one of them that acctually knows what they are doing they should charge the batteries they have in stock from time to time.

In the shop i work at we let another company have a few of their batteries in stock here and they come once a month to replace those that are not sold, the ones they picked up goes back to their shop to be charged and comes back the next month.

It is cheaper to have it like that then to have a own stock of batteries and we know that there are someone that keeps an eye on it and stand behind any warranty with no questions asked.
Unlike it was when we hade them ourselfes every supplier would allways try to weasel their way out of anything that had to do with warranty..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back