DVR for TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come the only DVR`s I find are for security set-ups ? I`m looking for one I can buy and use without paying added fees like you do with a tievo or the one I could get from my satellite provider. I have a DVD recorder that still works , but someday it may bite the dust.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: AandPDan

Me, I just use my VCR.

I was born after 1980. What's a VCR?

Unless you were born after 2000, you watched all your cartoons on VHS
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
How come the only DVR`s I find are for security set-ups ? I`m looking for one I can buy and use without paying added fees like you do with a tievo or the one I could get from my satellite provider. I have a DVD recorder that still works , but someday it may bite the dust.

You don't have to pay to use Tivo. It's just a glorified "digital VCR" at that point, but still works to record stuff.

Originally Posted By: benjamming

You don't have to pay to use Tivo. It's just a glorified "digital VCR" at that point, but still works to record stuff.

Correct, you are actually paying for the guide information that TiVo aggregates and sends to the box.

As to the OP's original question...why do you think something like that would be free? Unless you go build one of your own and load up open-source software like MythTV, it's going to cost you.

I use this, add your own USB drive of a size of your choice.

Records off the air TV in the same digital perfection it comes in as. You can then "rip" it to your computer and edit it etc if so justified, or just play stuff back with the remote.

Congrats OP for pursuing a device that doesn't come with a monthly nut.

I want to purchase a DVR outright . I have a DVD recorder and don`t pay a monthly tab for it . It`s just the cost of DVD`s . I used to have a VCR before that . I don`t know if you could still find VCR tapes blank . I work a second shift so there are a few primetime shows that my daughter at home will record for me to watch in the mornings before I go to work . I`m just looking for a DVR over the counter to buy outright with no monthly fees . I don`t pay a monthly fee to operate my DVD recorder. If you do a search all these over the counter DVR`s are for surveylance set-ups.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: benjamming

Correct, you are actually paying for the guide information that TiVo aggregates and sends to the box.

As to the OP's original question...why do you think something like that would be free? Unless you go build one of your own and load up open-source software like MythTV, it's going to cost you.
so you can record by time and station or do you have to record what you are currently watching?

Last edited:
Set top boxes (for off the air) and cable boxes do often have a "timer channel changer" mode but the menu to operate that is generally obtuse. One would then hook the video out cable to their PVR.

I used to have a VCR before that . I don`t know if you could still find VCR tapes blank .

You can. I order them at Walmart.

My goodwill is chock full of movies on VHS for 99 cents. Tape over the erase tab then reuse.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
I use this http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR557H-F...ox+dvd+recorder

I've been using 2 earlier models of that machine (160GB since ~Jan 2010, added 500GB version in 2012 or early 2013). No problems with them for me, no fees, if you want to keep something you can burn it onto disc, otherwise watch & delete. I don't know of anything else on the market like it. Lots more info over at the AVS forum- there's even a *long* sticky section on the various models, from the early Philips up through the current ones.

I have two Panasonic DVD recorders..one has a hard drive. They both use DVD-RAM disks as well, which you can use over & over if you'd like. I've never had cable or satellite. I mostly watch movies rented from a local library.

I found the two Panny's at a garage sale and got them for really cheap ~ $10. Just got lucky. The maggy sounds like a great deal and has many fans over on the AVS forum as previously mentioned.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I have two Panasonic DVD recorders..one has a hard drive. They both use DVD-RAM disks as well, which you can use over & over if you'd like. I've never had cable or satellite. I mostly watch movies rented from a local library.

I found the two Panny's at a garage sale and got them for really cheap ~ $10. Just got lucky. The maggy sounds like a great deal and has many fans over on the AVS forum as previously mentioned.
I have a dvd recorder . My point is it will someday bite the dust and need replacing. In this day and age it shouldn`t be necessary to have to buy a DVD player. A DVR over the counter without a subscription to some service should be available. Like I said in the original post there are a bunch of DVD recorders available for security systems out there.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

I have a dvd recorder . My point is it will someday bite the dust and need replacing. In this day and age it shouldn`t be necessary to have to buy a DVD player. A DVR over the counter without a subscription to some service should be available. Like I said in the original post there are a bunch of DVD recorders available for security systems out there.

I understand and agree. Perhaps you can buy one without a subscription as others have noted. If you find one, report back as I'm curious as well as others who have cut the cable/satellite link due to escalating fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back