REALLY... aggressive driver today

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not really aggressive.

I had one come out of a parking lot, didn't look, didn't even slow down, and my choice was either get hit, slam on the brakes, or swerve into the oncoming lane.

I slammed on the brakes and laid on the horn. He slams on his brakes, throws it into park, jumps out screaming and yelling like a madman, waving his arms in the air, and then starts pounding on the hood of my truck.

I throw it into reverse, floor it, drop it back into drive, pull around his car which is parked in the middle of the street, got through a stop sign as fast as I could, and got away from him as fast as possible.

So then he starts following me. Now it is time to call 911. I get his plate number out of my rear view mirror, and start driving slowly while reporting all of this.

I think he finally grew a brain cell as to why I was driving slowly, and turns left at the next intersection. I'm still on the phone with 911. After he was out of sight, a deputy meets me in a parking lot, and sends another deputy to sit on the street in front of his house.

And of course, Mr. Angry shows up at his house, and he got to explain why he had road rage to the point where he was pounding on the hood of my truck.

That's an aggressive driver.

By definition, aggressive driving is breaking 3 or more laws within a specified distance. That's what I am referring to.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

That's more than aggressive, that's a full fledged rage. Fortunately, I haven't been in such bad situation yet.

I had one a bit similar situation when someone pulled from a driveway without watching and I had to brake hard. I blasted my horns too. Guess what, next red light, a passenger exits from that car and goes toward me. I didn't see a gun, but got concerned. Fortunately, the light just changed to green before he made to me and I very quickly went around that car using left turning lane that was empty. They blocked the intersection for the whole green light, but everyone else behind them was afraid to do anything.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
That's not really aggressive.

I had one come out of a parking lot, didn't look, didn't even slow down, and my choice was either get hit, slam on the brakes, or swerve into the oncoming lane.

I slammed on the brakes and laid on the horn. He slams on his brakes, throws it into park, jumps out screaming and yelling like a madman, waving his arms in the air, and then starts pounding on the hood of my truck.

I throw it into reverse, floor it, drop it back into drive, pull around his car which is parked in the middle of the street, got through a stop sign as fast as I could, and got away from him as fast as possible.

So then he starts following me. Now it is time to call 911. I get his plate number out of my rear view mirror, and start driving slowly while reporting all of this.

I think he finally grew a brain cell as to why I was driving slowly, and turns left at the next intersection. I'm still on the phone with 911. After he was out of sight, a deputy meets me in a parking lot, and sends another deputy to sit on the street in front of his house.

And of course, Mr. Angry shows up at his house, and he got to explain why he had road rage to the point where he was pounding on the hood of my truck.

Did they charge him with anything? People don't learn a lesson unless there are repercussions.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I prefer to sum that up as Lead, Follow or get out of the way. That applies to many other situations.

That's a good way to put it too.

I had an interesting case of this earlier.

I was in a right turn lane behind a Silverado, with a Civic behind me. When the light turned green, the Silverado and I got in the left lane of the four lane road (2 lanes each direction) we were pulling on to. The Civic got in the right lane. The Silverado then got into a left turn lane right away to pull on to the interstate. While this is happening, the Civic scoots up just in front of my truck, and puts their left signal on (no cars behind me). I'm thinking "there is a 99% chance he's going to be an idiot, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that he didn't realize he had to turn so soon to get on the interstate and actually needs to get over, even though he already looks like an idiot." I braked to give him enough room to get over. He got over, but didn't need to make a left, he intended to go straight, and SLOWLY. The Civic actually hit his brakes, and slowed to below the speed limit while continuing to go straight in the left travel lane. At that point I was done being courteous to an idiot and pulled into the right lane and passed him. Turned out the idiot was turning on to the same road I was, almost a half mile up the road. I really can't figure out the "I HAVE to be in front so I can go slow" mentality. Why? If you plan on going slow, get behind the people who don't want to go slow.

I try to be a courteous driver, but I have found that most of the time, courtesy backfires.

All of these are reasons I just drive as if everyone around me is an idiot. Most people these days have an odd sense of entitlement, and it doesn't matter who/what they put in danger, as long as they get there a minute quicker.
(The people that change lanes 20 times/tailgate/etc, I usually end up next to them at the next light anyway, so I always wonder...why???)

That being said, one of my friends is the nicest, most sincere person in the world, until she gets behind the wheel ... she is just plain rude and drives like a nut lol ... I don't get it :p

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I prefer to sum that up as Lead, Follow or get out of the way. That applies to many other situations.

That's a good way to put it too.

I had an interesting case of this earlier.

I was in a right turn lane behind a Silverado, with a Civic behind me. When the light turned green, the Silverado and I got in the left lane of the four lane road (2 lanes each direction) we were pulling on to. The Civic got in the right lane. The Silverado then got into a left turn lane right away to pull on to the interstate. While this is happening, the Civic scoots up just in front of my truck, and puts their left signal on (no cars behind me). I'm thinking "there is a 99% chance he's going to be an idiot, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that he didn't realize he had to turn so soon to get on the interstate and actually needs to get over, even though he already looks like an idiot." I braked to give him enough room to get over. He got over, but didn't need to make a left, he intended to go straight, and SLOWLY. The Civic actually hit his brakes, and slowed to below the speed limit while continuing to go straight in the left travel lane. At that point I was done being courteous to an idiot and pulled into the right lane and passed him. Turned out the idiot was turning on to the same road I was, almost a half mile up the road. I really can't figure out the "I HAVE to be in front so I can go slow" mentality. Why? If you plan on going slow, get behind the people who don't want to go slow.

I try to be a courteous driver, but I have found that most of the time, courtesy backfires.

very possibly lost , or listening to his idiot GPS telling him how to get on the interstate?

I have had my GPS steer me in strange ways more than once.

I think people need ongoing driver education... maybe they should make online computer driving simulations part of the process.

I'd suggest that the GPS just be used when necessary. It seems to affect folks like cell/texting with a mental disconnect with other important activity-like driver awareness, ect. I chuckle when asking people how they got from point A to B to find out often they don't know as they were just following the GPS directions-and yes, sometimes rather strange routing at that.

I've long thought that IQ tests and psychiatric evaluations be a part of getting a drivers license. I try to drive reasonably, meaning at the speed limit +/- 2mph or so. I let people in when they're merging and keep a healthy following distance. I usually keep my distance from aggressive drivers but sometimes they get under my skin. I was driving on an urban 2 lane road with a 35mph limit, I was doing a touch over 40 while about 1/4 mile from a really slow red light. This girl in a mustang came flying up behind me out of nowhere and was probably no more than a couple feet behind me. She layed on her horn and started gesturing wildly, at that point I'd had enough and snapped after a bad day at the end of a bad week. I slammed on my brakes and she barely missed hitting me, I promptly slowed down to 15 and I could see her going nuts in her car.
That was the only time I've ever been aggressive towards another driver but she had it coming to her.
Karma caught up with a trucker that blew by me at 75 in a snowstorm once. I had just gotten on the highway and it hadn't been plowed or anything and I was going about 45 or so when he cut me off. I caught up to him about 20 miles down the road. His truck was on it's side about 20 yards off the road and he was standing around looking confused as to why he was in that situation!

Many habitually aggressive lives very likely have very frustrating lives, they likely have really [censored] low pay jobs, no sense of authority or respect from their career or from family or community, so to make up for that they drive with a need to show other drivers who is "boss". Best not to engage with these folks. Reacting to them in traffic or anywhere else actually gives them a sense of power and inadvertently puts you into their lives which is a place you don;t want to be.

Last edited:
Cincinnati rush hour traffic. You see all kinds of aggression and rage here. The boys with the jacked up diesel trucks are some of the most egregious offenders, but you'll see all kinds in all cars. It's less civilized than Los Angeles traffic.
I can't rage on anybody due to the fact that my car has all of about 25 horsepower, so my priority here is to try to make it home without getting squashed like a bug.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Best not to engage with these folks. Reacting to them in traffic or anywhere else actually gives them a sense of power and inadvertently puts you into their lives which is a place you don't want to be.

Very well stated!

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Lane splitting is not legal. However, if 2 motorcycles are doing that in the same lane it is fine. But not with a passenger vehicle.
Drive down Interstate 5 in southern Cal for a day, report back with your findings
laugh.gif

I remember the time I was stuck in some slowly moving one lane traffic. I see a guy coming out of a side street waiting to turn into our lane. No one was letting him in. I finally got close enough to him, slowed down & motioned for him to pull out in front of me. What does this guy do? He shakes his fist at me & yells "Its about [censored] time [censored]". It struck me so funny that I almost could not breathe from laughing so hard.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Jerks in all kinds of vehicles.

Don't over-credit them. They WISH they were jerks.

The sad truth is that people can't drive, and look stupid trying to be agressive. Sure is dangerous, though.

Where are the cops. I'll bet we all don't see too many.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

They're on a highway shoulder or in a driveway somewhere waiting for speeders. You know better than to ask such a question. Trying to catch and punish bad driving behavior takes a back seat to speeding tickets. They are easy, the driver is always in the wrong, and local revenues are enhanced. Truly a win-win for law enforcement.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

They're on a highway shoulder or in a driveway somewhere waiting for speeders. You know better than to ask such a question. Trying to catch and punish bad driving behavior takes a back seat to speeding tickets. They are easy, the driver is always in the wrong, and local revenues are enhanced. Truly a win-win for law enforcement.

This is also probably why laws against using a cell phone while driving are not enforced...

I guess the issue is that we're supposed to obey the laws. There are now too many laws, many of which are dubious. Once you start breaking some of them it becomes easier. We ALL break some laws.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

This is also probably why laws against using a cell phone while driving are not enforced...

Respectfully, I appreciate this angle. However, this COULD be true.

Not many highways where I live. State Police are on 280 sometimes, by that giant hill by West Orange that has you smelling transmission after getting up it (not down.) But 1&9, 27, Newark.. Not many. This in New Jersey.

They love to write that newly increased penalty cell phone ticket, too. All they need to see are lips moving, apparently. Fight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back