Toyota red antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I had to ask around when I serviced a 2003 Camry this Summer.
The same "timeline of coolant transition" as outlined in these last posts is what I learned.
That the red coolant had faded from everyone's memory didn't help gathering intel.

I used Zerex Asian pink coolant. It went into the cleanest system east of the Mississippi.

In my old age I've come to the realization that establishing a solid, continuously revised base of information-either in the owner's manual or that used for purchasing at parts departments-is a weak point in the automotive industry.

I honestly believe editing an owner's manual or establishing guidelines for parts dept. purchases requires someone to "stick their head up" and the corporate culture teaches everyone to do the exact opposite.

MY FAVORITE: A local Volvo dealer kept using Castrol transmission fluid in power steering units years after the switch to pale green Pentosin sourced fluid was on the assembly line as well as in liter bottles bearing the Volvo name.

Of course nobody knew nothin' Stupid bimbos. Kira

I have been using Zerex Asian pink since it became available in our area. Cooling system stays just as clean as with the OEM coolant. I would like to use Toyota pink but I just can't see paying $30 + a gallon when I can get the Zerex Asian for less than $15 with free shipping on the internet. I made a trip down to our local NAPA to pick up three gallons only to find the store didn't carry it. I made the mistake of thinking all NAPA stores carry the Zerex Asian pink, they don't.Regards

Your dealer wants $30+ a gallon for pink? You need to find a different dealer
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I have been using Zerex Asian pink since it became available in our area. Cooling system stays just as clean as with the OEM coolant. I would like to use Toyota pink but I just can't see paying $30 + a gallon when I can get the Zerex Asian for less than $15 with free shipping on the internet. I made a trip down to our local NAPA to pick up three gallons only to find the store didn't carry it. I made the mistake of thinking all NAPA stores carry the Zerex Asian pink, they don't.Regards

Originally Posted By: kschachn
wink.gif

MSRP of the Toyota Pink coolant (50/50 mixture) is $21.38. If you are paying a penny more, your dealer is ripping you off.

http://www.toyomotorparts.com/parts/toyota-00272-sllc2_super-long-life-cool.html

MSRP of the Toyota Red coolant (undiluted) is $29.16.

http://www.toyomotorparts.com/parts/toyota-00272-1llac-01_antifreeze-gallon-w.html

Yeah, my local dealer has red for $24.95 and pink for $17.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: kschachn
wink.gif

MSRP of the Toyota Pink coolant (50/50 mixture) is $21.38. If you are paying a penny more, your dealer is ripping you off.

http://www.toyomotorparts.com/parts/toyota-00272-sllc2_super-long-life-cool.html

MSRP of the Toyota Red coolant (undiluted) is $29.16.

http://www.toyomotorparts.com/parts/toyota-00272-1llac-01_antifreeze-gallon-w.html

$24 is good for Toyota RED! My local Toyota Dealer wants, $33/gal for RED and the Lexus Dealer 20 miles further away wan $35.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
....My local Toyota Dealer wants, $33/gal for RED and the Lexus Dealer 20 miles further away wan $35.

Yikes. I've said that Toyota Red is getting pricey, and this confirms it. I've suspected that as the pink becomes more widely used red would get pricey.

If I wanted to stick with an Asian P-HOAT I'd be looking closely at the full strength PepBoys Recohem OEM brand that goes for ~$20/gal, and it's also a longlife/extended life AF like the Toyota pink.

That said, full strength PGL and distilled working nicely for me.

I had all the parts on the counter for a complete brake job on my Toyota and there wasn't the discount and the price was over list and I exclaimed my opinion and left with out the parts.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
....My local Toyota Dealer wants, $33/gal for RED and the Lexus Dealer 20 miles further away wan $35.

Yikes. I've said that Toyota Red is getting pricey, and this confirms it. I've suspected that as the pink becomes more widely used red would get pricey.

If I wanted to stick with an Asian P-HOAT I'd be looking closely at the full strength PepBoys Recohem OEM brand that goes for ~$20/gal, and it's also a longlife/extended life AF like the Toyota pink.

That said, full strength PGL and distilled working nicely for me.

My local PB's is carrying their new line of full strength coolants for $14.99/gal. I should jump all over them before they increase the price on them.

Those prices are whack. I can actually get it cheaper if I am buying parts too, and I email the parts guy before I walk into the dealer. The discount on the coolant isn't as high as the parts discount, but it came down from $24.95 to something like $23-something. $24.95 is the price tag on the container.

$24 is good for Toyota RED! My local Toyota Dealer wants, $33/gal for RED and the Lexus Dealer 20 miles further away wan $35.

I've never done that but I think the right thing to do is to call Toyota and complain about the dealer if they are asking for more than the list price at the parts department.

All prices, List or otherwise are "suggested prices" and dealers as independent business people can set any price they choose. Toyota has nothing to do with it.

Did you ever try to buy a Supra when they were "the car to have?" Many places you would have paid over list.

When you are in business there are reasons to sell higher than "Suggested List Prices".

Last edited:
Toyota dealers are not independent businesses. They are franchises. If you believe there is an unfair business practice, you can always contact Toyota and complain.

For example, if there is only one Toyota dealer in an area and they are jacking up the parts prices because of monopoly, this is more than enough reason to complain. You can also complain if you think there is some price fixing between two dealers.

They are out there to provide service on behalf of Toyota, not to take advantage of their position.

So you obviously have never bought a limited edition car or a hot model over the MSRP.

As I mentioned - you would have paid OVER LIST price for a Supra back in the day-they were that popular. You would have paid over list at times for a Nissan (called Datsun back then) for a 240Z two door "sports car". Just a few years ago if you wanted a GTO (made by GM-Holden - imported from Australia by GM) you would have paid whatever the dealer wanted. They are indeed franchises but run as independent businesses. If your theory holds true - how can you account for them selling ultra popular cars above list price?

Last edited:
I was making a point they can charge whatever they want...for whatever products-it doesn't matter. Even if what you say is true - your point is still cloudy as to charging a few bucks over list for coolant and $5,000.00 over list for a certain model of car.

Enough said.

Last edited:
Might be worth the complaint.

But at the two Toyota dealerships I've been it seemed fluids were at good prices, list or whatever it's called. Might be worth a bit of a drive to get it, or at the least to order on Amazon/wherever. If OEM fluids are what you want, that is.

In my area (Seattle), the dealers are all 20 to 35% over "list" for the Red LLC. I called about four this summer to compare. I bought it at CarQuest, who carries it on the shelves for - tada - Toyota list, and much less than any Toyota or Lexus dealer.

Pentofrost A1 is an exact substitute and almost always in stock at O'Reilly's for even less, usually nowadays $26.xx vs $28.xx for the Toyota label at CarQuest. I prefer to use the concentrate instead of diluted Zerex, since I like to mid 55 or 60% and by that extra safety margin if I decided to go a couple hours east towards ID or MT in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back