using a Motorcraft filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question probably would you use them given all the issues Purolator has had? I know it's a Ford oem filter but I don't want to take a risk if there are quality issues. If not use them what's a good alternative for around the same cost?

I have used them and will continue to use them. I have a FL-910S lined up for my Vibe's next oil change.

Last edited:
Keep using the MC. They have not been demonstrated to have the tearing issues that plague other Puro-made filters.

FYI, Motorcraft is not the same thing as Ford OEM. The factory-installed filters are made by Champion Laboratories, now called FRAM Filtration. I was told by the people at Champ some years ago that the Motorcraft line at Purolator is separate and is overseen by Ford.

They are great filters, use them with confidence
thumbsup2.gif

Ford sets the specs. Purolator is capable of building a filter to any standard. The standard they choose to build their Purolator branded filters to isn't going to dictate what Ford tells them to build and put the Motorcraft label on. I have no problem using them and do.

I stick to the FL400S because I know it will have a silicone ADBV (that's the "S" in the part number). Less than $4 a filter helps too.

FWIW, I don't trust everything Purolator either. I will not use their air filters. The gasket in my application for Purolator Classic and PureOne is too thin to seal the air filter housing correctly. I would absolutely use a Motorcraft air filter, even if Purolator makes it, because Ford said "the gasket WILL be this thick."

I trust Motorcraft branded parts. I have never gotten anything low quality that was branded Motorcraft. AC Delco can be a little more hit or miss, and if I had a GM, I'd source "GM Genuine" parts first. AC Delco filters are fine, but with things like starters or alternators, if there is a different "GM Genuine" part number from the AC Delco number, I'd rather get the GM Genuine. It can be hard to tell what's what with AC Delco, but Motorcraft is pretty consistent and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back