show me your Dino oil engine pics please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
This was after about 121,000 miles of conventional between the years of 1994 and 2007 on my '95 Integra. 5,000 mile/6 month OCIs by the previous owner using dealership bulk dino 5W-30:
integravalvetrain_zpsace7c266.jpg

It's still just as clean, though I've used mostly synthetics since then (at 5k intervals, usually).

That engine looks brand new!! What was your fave go to oil?

Some of these new engines with higher compression, direct injection, turbos, marginal timing chain designs and smaller sumps are hard on oil. Dino may not be the best choice in these applications. Pick your spots and follow owners manual guidelines if you have a new vehicle.

I'm currently using conventional oil at short-ish intervals in my own car. The reason is that there are VERY few synthetics that are known to be okay for rotary engines, none of which Mazda USA recognizes for warranty purposes.

For any other engine, I'd use a synthetic oil regardless of OCI -- NOT because a conventional oil couldn't get the job done, but because a synthetic could do it better.

I have the option to use conventional oils in my transmission and differential. I use synthetics in both because I want to worry as little as possible about warm-up times for those fluids.

The vast majority of engines on the road WILL do just fine on conventional oil at reasonable OCIs. That's how they're built, that's how the oils are formulated, and that's how the OCIs are determined. I completely understand the argument that syntetics aren't necessary.

I think it should also be understood that, even in those applications, synthetics can be better. If nothing else, they allow just that little bit more of a cushion for cold starts, short trips, bad gas, overextended OCIs, neglected maintenance, etc.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I'm currently using conventional oil at short-ish intervals in my own car. The reason is that there are VERY few synthetics that are known to be okay for rotary engines, none of which Mazda USA recognizes for warranty purposes.

For any other engine, I'd use a synthetic oil regardless of OCI -- NOT because a conventional oil couldn't get the job done, but because a synthetic could do it better.

I have the option to use conventional oils in my transmission and differential. I use synthetics in both because I want to worry as little as possible about warm-up times for those fluids.

The vast majority of engines on the road WILL do just fine on conventional oil at reasonable OCIs. That's how they're built, that's how the oils are formulated, and that's how the OCIs are determined. I completely understand the argument that syntetics aren't necessary.

I think it should also be understood that, even in those applications, synthetics can be better. If nothing else, they allow just that little bit more of a cushion for cold starts, short trips, bad gas, overextended OCIs, neglected maintenance, etc.

Well put.

These days, "synthetic" mainly just means "high end."

This should almost be a sticky! I've never heard it put quite that way, but it definitely should have been.

Originally Posted By: Garak

This should almost be a sticky! I've never heard it put quite that way, but it definitely should have been.
Originally Posted By: Garak

01.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
This was after about 121,000 miles of conventional between the years of 1994 and 2007 on my '95 Integra. 5,000 mile/6 month OCIs by the previous owner using dealership bulk dino 5W-30:
integravalvetrain_zpsace7c266.jpg

It's still just as clean, though I've used mostly synthetics since then (at 5k intervals, usually).

That engine looks brand new!! What was your fave go to oil?

I wish I knew what the dealership used when the previous owner had it changed, but the receipts only indicated "Oil - 5W-30", not the brand, sadly.
frown.gif
Bulk of some sort, I'd assume.

That's exactly what my dealer receipts say, whether I bring in my own or use their bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back