toyota 86 oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
All the contributors you mention, along with CATERHAM, have the said expertise and knowledge to back up their statements with personal experience and years of researching. The trump card for me is the manufacturer's manual.

Proof that no con man will ever starve.

The OP asks an innocent question about the suitability of a 0W-20 grade oil for track use.
A number of members recommend a thicker grade for this type of use, which common sense would seem to dictate.
The thread then devolves into a four way slanging match.
This has been the progress of a number of threads recently with the same cast of characters.
Tracking the car or adding an oil cooler will void the powertrain warranty in any event.
I'd personally use M1 0W-40 if it were my car and I intended to track it.
This application appears to be marginally suited to a 0W-20 under any conditions.
It would be intersting to see how this Subayota (Toyoru?) holds up in track use on a 0W-20.
Who'd be willing to sacrifice an engine to find out?
And, no, the UOA thread linked above doesn't qualify.
A UOA from a car that's seen a lot of mods but very little use street or track as yet may have resulted in a thread full of sound and fury but it signifies nothing.
Sorry, couldn't resist!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The OP asks an innocent question about the suitability of a 0W-20 grade oil for track use.
A number of members recommend a thicker grade for this type of use, which common sense would seem to dictate.
The thread then devolves into a four way slanging match.
This has been the progress of a number of threads recently with the same cast of characters.
Tracking the car or adding an oil cooler will void the powertrain warranty in any event.
I'd personally use M1 0W-40 if it were my car and I intended to track it.
This application appears to be marginally suited to a 0W-20 under any conditions.
It would be intersting to see how this Subayota (Toyoru?) holds up in track use on a 0W-20.
Who'd be willing to sacrifice an engine to find out?
And, no, the UOA thread linked above doesn't qualify.
A UOA from a car that's seen a lot of mods but very little use street or track as yet may have resulted in a thread full of sound and fury but it signifies nothing.
Sorry, couldn't resist!

Sounds quite reasonable to me.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
As is typical here we dissect minutiae but forget that each platform has different requirements. I have indeed seen newer 5.0 Stangs neuter themselves at the track. But it is a rarity, as you must flog them mercilessly at high ambient temps to do so. Almost every modern car has the ability to retard spark and throttle in an overheat situation.

The mere fact they even specify a 50w oil should tell us they experience very high oil temps, but per both SRT and Mobil even 300 degrees is not excessive anymore.

I respect Caterham's opinions, they are generally well thought out. His claim of no damage on 20w oil is being proven every day in thousands and thousands of cars and trucks (my 14 Ram included).

But real track use is a different animal completely...

Steve, thank-you.

Most people who take part in track day events are not in any way serious racers; they just want to have some fun, push their car a little harder and drive a little faster than what they would normally do on the street without having to worry about attracting the unwanted attention of the local constabulary.
And for most it's a learning experience as the cars capabilities usually exceeds their driving skill level by a wide margin. The only changes to their ride would be to pump up the tire pressures a bit and make sure there is nothing loose to float around in the car interior and the trunk. And rarely is any thought given to engine oil so the spec' oil is what's in the sump.

For serious "real track use" no one's really going to be using a stock Toyota 86, BRZ or FR-S but if they are thinking about it the first thing they are going to want to do (as I recommended on page 1) is install oil gauges so that they knows first hand how high the oil temp's get and under what conditions; what's the connection to ambient temp's, how long do I need to stay on he track before the oil temp's get "high", etc? With the stock set-up he may find that the oil temp's may be entirely manageable.
Now some will tell you that even installing oil gauges could put the warranty at risk, but if you're planning on some serious track use I'm assuming engine warranty is not be your first priority. And if high oil temp's are a frequent occurrence, the first modification would be the installation of an oil cooler and once that occurs you've probably already got a good case of up-gradeitis.

That line said it all.
wink.gif

As is typical here we dissect minutiae but forget that each platform has different requirements. I have indeed seen newer 5.0 Stangs neuter themselves at the track. But it is a rarity, as you must flog them mercilessly at high ambient temps to do so. Almost every modern car has the ability to retard spark and throttle in an overheat situation.

The mere fact they even specify a 50w oil should tell us they experience very high oil temps, but per both SRT and Mobil even 300 degrees is not excessive anymore.

I respect Caterham's opinions, they are generally well thought out. His claim of no damage on 20w oil is being proven every day in thousands and thousands of cars and trucks (my 14 Ram included).

Great post Steve
thumbsup2.gif
And yes, that's exactly it, every platform is different and their requirements are as well, though I don't think anybody has "forgot" that per se, but rather there are various merits being argued regarding the appropriate approach. I think this particular topic has persisted because of two things:

1. The information that Trav has presented that pertains to the engine that the thread is about.

2. The two wildly different specs for the 5.0L Mustang that get drummed up whenever a discussion like this happens. This is the one that I often find gets misrepresented which is why I'm glad you've reiterated the fact that you have seen the thermal castration mechanism in action on non Track-Pack GT's. And this leads us to your 2nd point, regarding why a 5w-50 is specified, which serves to back that. This was the reason Ford created the Track Pack for the GT, to deal with people beating on these cars at the track and them subsequently crippling themselves until the temps came down. An oil cooler and heavier oil along with the requisite software tweak resolved the problem.

That's not to say that the 5w-20 won't serve the regular GT well in more pedestrian usage profiles, of course it would and does, nobody is arguing that. If I had a concern about the protection a 5w-20 or 0w-20 offers in an application that actually specs it for normal use, I wouldn't be running it in the Charger, but of course I am because those concerns for me do not exist. If I were to seriously track the car, I may be inclined to step up to a 0w-40, but that is an "educated guess" based on other Mopar cars like yours calling for that grade.

On a bit of a tangent, what I find somewhat amusing is that Ford does the "this or that" with the Mustang. You buy the regular GT, you run 5w-20, you buy the Track Pack (same engine) you get an oil cooler and are required to run 5w-50.

Which contrasts handily with GM's requirements for the Corvette and Camaro where they tell you to run a DEXOS 1 5w-30 unless you track the car, and in which case to step it up to Mobil 1 15w-50!

GM's direction seems more "owner knowledge" oriented. They expect that an owner that tracks their car knows enough to swap out their regular fill for a "performance" fill when tracking. Ford's direction seems more "idiot proof", IE, if you have the regular GT, you run 5w-20. You have the Track Pack, you run 5w-50. Period. I'm not sure which one will result in fewer issues in application. On one hand we have the manufacturer relying on a sensor to "pull the plug" for the regular car and the owner running the right oil in the track version. On the other hand we have a "regular" oil spec'd for normal usage and a "performance oil" spec'd for track use. This information of course buried in the owners manual
21.gif
Have you seen any of the new Camaro's and Corvette's at the track Steve? And if so, are the owners aware of and following the requirements from their manual?

To come back to the topic of the thread though, your last point succinctly explains this whole mess and why it has continued. This is the topic that has lead to so much heated debate; so much fervent back-and-forth. Track use (and I note the use of the word "real" tucked into your reply) is why we have this disagreement. Defining the differences between "drivers Ed" events (is that "real" track use?) and an experienced driver hot lapping on some PSS's (or PS Cups even!) (is that "real" track use?) and whether at some point we meet the manufacturer's definition of that term at some arbitrary juncture or whether simply using the car in a track environment fulfills the requirement
21.gif

Quite frankly I don't think we are ever going to reach an agreement, but it has of course been a great discussion.

EDIT: One other thing: The last line of the first part of your post, regarding the ability to pull spark and throttle in an overheat. This I believe is primarily for a coolant overheat situation, which are the most common. The concerns expressed in this thread are more about an oil overheat situation, something it appears GM doesn't compensate for other than tossing a warning light at you and many other manufacturers simply don't track. I think the oil temperature nanny is a lot less prevalent than the coolant temperature nanny, something that has been around for quite some time and has only gotten better with electronic throttle control.

Last edited:
OVERKILL, as usual, great post.

re...
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
EDIT: One other thing: The last line of the first part of your post, regarding the ability to pull spark and throttle in an overheat. This I believe is primarily for a coolant overheat situation, which are the most common. The concerns expressed in this thread are more about an oil overheat situation, something it appears GM doesn't compensate for other than tossing a warning light at you and many other manufacturers simply don't track.

Ford in Oz use that system as a selling point...burst a hose, and you can still get home without damaging the engine.

Nice one Overkill. You bring up a good point..
Quote:
Track use (and I note the use of the word "real" tucked into your reply) is why we have this disagreement. Defining the differences between "drivers Ed" events (is that "real" track use?) and an experienced driver hot lapping on some PSS's (or PS Cups even!) (is that "real" track use?) and whether at some point we meet the manufacturer's definition of that term at some arbitrary juncture or whether simply using the car in a track environment fulfills the requirement

The definition of track use and racing for this guy depends on how he is presenting his argument at the moment.
The Toyota i posted uses a bone stock engine! Upgraded struts and SS brake lines but not much else. These would be also common on any car that sees even occasional track use.

Does that mean these little additions allow for faster times and which in turn also allows the engine to run harder? The fact that these additions to the car even with the stock engine changed Toyota's oil recommendation to 10w60.
There appears to be a lot more involved in choosing the correct oil than just oil pressure/temp gauges.

It has been interesting alright but at the end of this i would feel a whole lot safer using Toyota's own documentation to choose an oil than some self proclaimed internet racer/guru.

Since these student race car drivers go around the track in first gear at 7,000 RPM for 20 minutes,
maybe they need SAE 60 plus a few cans of STP.

230f does not neuter a regular 5.0 mustang. We had my friends out the weekend he drove it off the lot. I saw 265f oil temps and no engine nannies showed themselves.

The track pack engine isn't exactly the same as the regular 5.0. There are some differences,piston squirters come to mind.
Regardless the track pack cars also have engine nannies however they take more to turn on,I'm assuming because a thicker oil is specified therefore oil film thickness isn't compromised at as low an oil temp.
Caterham makes some very good points,and his thought process seems sound to me,however I won't be using my charger as a test mule.
I've seen oil temps in my charger of 265f,during the summer running a few standing mile rips from a dig.
It doesn't take long for the oil to go from 213f to 265f running mile runs from a dig,allowing the car to shift itself at 5500rpm.
That being said it cools off pretty quick too once the foot comes off the floor.
I posted here the first time I saw 265f. Most here said no problem for a 20 grade however I'm not so sure. I started using a euro 40 grade with a couple quarts of ultra 5w-20 after seeing just how fast oil temps can get to the moon.
Anyways Caterham could very well be 100% on the money with his theories. But I'm not risking my engine to prove them.
I'll keep an open mind,and a jug of 0w-40.
Caterham's posts are what opened my mind up from my thicker is better days,so instead of being rigid in my thought process I look at a bigger picture now however that big picture doesn't include rebuilding my chargers engine just yet,not saying that's what will happen,just that in my particular case going thicker IS cheap insurance(i hate that saying but in this case it's true).
I'm all for trying out new things,but I'm still an old dog.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Since these student race car drivers go around the track in first gear at 7,000 RPM for 20 minutes,
maybe they need SAE 60 plus a few cans of STP.

Ouch.

Don't forget the Lucas. Heaven knows with that kind of duty cycle the oil will definitely require stabilization.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

The track pack engine isn't exactly the same as the regular 5.0. There are some differences,piston squirters come to mind.
Regardless the track pack cars also have engine nannies however they take more to turn on,I'm assuming because a thicker oil is specified therefore oil film thickness isn't compromised at as low an oil temp.

You are thinking about the BOSS 302. The Track Pack engine is identical.

And no, 265F wouldn't take long to get to with that engine, I'm sure the thermal neuter temp is higher than that, probably closer to 300 (as per Steve's post). I'm sure some research could net where it actually kicks in.

I did asked before in what way is TGMO better than any xw40 or xw60 oil for track day driving of any sort. I mean there's no fuel economy required when on a track. Absolutely no need for excellent cold flow properties of TGMO. All one needs is a sturdy oil that can handle heat and stay in grade.Never really answered fro CATERHAM, only same mantra repeated over and over.
' all Toyota want you to use is 0w20". Well yes, but this is a Subaru with boxer engine and known and well documented bottom end problems. Not on this particular type or engine, but nonetheless.
Subaru BRZ manual say 0w20 or for highway , heavy load 5w30 is acceptable.
Oil pressure and temperature gauge will NOT tell you the whole story of how an engine is lubricated. This is not a 1931. You can put SN 5W30 in a BMW and maintain good oil pressure, but will you provide good lubrication to your engine? Don't think so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back