5200 miles and pp smelled like fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil today in the 2014 focus. Had 5200 miles on the oil. I was surprised the oil smelled of oil as bad as it did. I have certainly smeled worse but when my mom went to 12000 miles in her 09 focus on pyb it didn't even smell as bad as this did. I do mainly highway miles as well. Anyone else noticed this with di engine's. I know they are more prone to dilution but didn't think in 5000 miles it would smell so strong. Any thoughts?

Smells like oil? Oil dilution? Did it smell like PB blaster or what?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I was surprised the oil smelled of oil as bad as it did.

Originally Posted By: Rand

You couldn't figure out that he meant fuel from the title?

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

You couldn't figure out that he meant fuel from the title?

I do believe it was a rather obvious troll of the OP due to the typo......

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Don't think it has ananything to do with the oil ... DI engines have fuel dilution issues

Yep, this right here. MANY.. the overwhelming majority if you will.. have this issue.

Supposedly it doesnt hurt much according to UOA, but many DI engines are not as well suited for extended OCI's vs previous MPFI engines

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Don't think it has ananything to do with the oil ... DI engines have fuel dilution issues

Yep, this right here. MANY.. the overwhelming majority if you will.. have this issue.

Supposedly it doesnt hurt much according to UOA, but many DI engines are not as well suited for extended OCI's vs previous MPFI engines

I wasn't really blaming the oil I was surprised than anything and I typed fuel but my amazing auto correct thought I meant oil..... I just would be leary of running an extended oci since at 5000 miles it already had a strong smell of fuel.

It doesn't take much fuel to produce the gasoline smell and Gen III Focuses don't seem to have much, if any, fuel, in UOAs. Maybe the oil wasn't fully warm when you drained, or was subject to lots of short-tripping?

My CR-V had a faint smell, then got progressively worse. When it was first dumped, the smell of gas was bad. I drive 10 miles each way to work, and 25 to night classes once a week; all highway. It seems as if it is the nature of the beast on these engines.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Fuel "sniff" test is not really accurate,

Exactly. Because gasoline is very volatile, our noses will pick out even a very tiny amount mixed into the oil.

Leave the car sit for a day or two so the fuel (if any) has a chance to rise to the top of the oil level.

Pull the dipstick slowly and dab on flat folded paper towel a few times until you have a nice quarter sized amount.

Pass a lighter above the oil spot allowing the flame to touch it. Do it over a puddle or pail of water so you can drop it if it ignites.

If it doesn't light, you don't have a fuel dilution problem.

Some people have it so bad they say you can light the dipstick.

DI engines are known to have fuel dilution issues, run shorter OCI and don't worry.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
My CR-V had a faint smell, then got progressively worse. When it was first dumped, the smell of gas was bad. I drive 10 miles each way to work, and 25 to night classes once a week; all highway. It seems as if it is the nature of the beast on these engines.

Your CRV doesn't have one of those DI engines: DI was adopted by the CRV beginning with the 2015 model year. Earlier years had traditional port injection.

Really?? Dealer told me that the engine was a DI b/c of the fuel economy it can gain. Once again, I was mislead by the stealer.

Follow the Owner's Manual and don't lose sleep over it. As advised earlier, fuel is very aromatic and minute amounts give off a disproportionate oder. It is also the nature of the beast and if the technology wasn't refind after the early years of admitted deposit issues, less mfrs would adopt it. Which clearly isnt the case.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I actually just looked and it states "2.4L Direct Fuel Injection".

Where does it state that?

AFAIK, 2014 was not DI. That's why the fuel economy EPA ratings on the 2014 are lower compared to 2015. Or maybe it's thanks to CVT...

Originally Posted By: Falken
Leave the car sit for a day or two so the fuel (if any) has a chance to rise to the top of the oil level.

Pull the dipstick slowly and dab on flat folded paper towel a few times until you have a nice quarter sized amount.

Pass a lighter above the oil spot allowing the flame to touch it. Do it over a puddle or pail of water so you can drop it if it ignites.

DI engines are known to have fuel dilution issues, run shorter OCI and don't worry.

Are you serious ?! You been smoking some funny cigarettes ??

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Originally Posted By: Falken

Are you serious ?! You been smoking some funny cigarettes ??

Sounds like you could make an oil pan hookah using the dipstick.

Something like that might sell to the BITOG crowd.

You wouldn't want to use Mobil 1 in it though, it would be too noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back