new mustang GT350 to get flat plane crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOVE it...

I grew up on Supercharged Flatheads and American V8's.

My two favorite engine sounds (both in cars I have driven) is the 917 4.5 litre flat 12 and the Lamborghini Countach V-12 that sounds like a 2 stroke dirt bike...it's just scream with no discernible firing pulses.

Pure heaven...

Originally Posted By: Doktor_Bert
The GT350 is phenomenal. I drove an early pre-production example.

I am no Hellcat fan...it's just a Benz.

Oooohhhh Kaaaayyyyy.....
confused.gif

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem when people don't like any car. But "a Benz??" I mean, I'm fully aware of how the suspension borrows from the Benz era, but that's really it. The hard plastic Teutonic interior's been gone since 2011. Even the DB contribution to the drivetrain is gone now that the automatic is a ZF and not an Americanized WA580. Its kinda like saying the Mustang is "just a Jaguar" because its had some S-type DNA in its development.

440 Magnum:

I am a former Hemi 'E' and 'B' Body owner, so I do like the older MoPars...

But we have had more than one Challenger come through and it looks just like a MBZ underneath. The suspension especially.

I mean, that's really par for the course these days I suppose...Bentley is just an Audi (with all Audi markings/part numbers underneath) and the Rolls-Royce is 100% BMW underneath the unique body, but I guess that's just the way it is now.

I'm probably like this because of my history. I still remember a time before 'corporate' engines...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
*Gets on knees and prays that the manual gearbox is from Tremec and not Getrag*

Hope Tremec makes some improvements in their QC department....

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I've read that it's a bored-out 5.0. Should be slightly over-square.

I am told by sources at Ford it is a clean sheet of paper design, similar only in appearance...

They are leaps and bounds better than the Chinese factory building the Getrag MT-82 that is currently in the Mustangs. I am on my 2nd and have less than 14,000 miles. When the 2nd was put in, there was no front seal on the gearbox at all. The casting is horrible on the cases.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I've read that it's a bored-out 5.0. Should be slightly over-square.

I am told by sources at Ford it is a clean sheet of paper design, similar only in appearance...

I stand corrected. The statement I had seen was "it's all bore," but I suppose that really only says something about the dimensions and not whether the design is derivative.

440 Magnum:

But we have had more than one Challenger come through and it looks just like a MBZ underneath. The suspension especially.

I mean, that's really par for the course these days I suppose...Bentley is just an Audi (with all Audi markings/part numbers underneath) and the Rolls-Royce is 100% BMW underneath the unique body, but I guess that's just the way it is now.

I'm probably like this because of my history. I still remember a time before 'corporate' engines...

I was thinking about this very thing today. And, I think overall brand quality has gone way up. So, I don't look back on the "old days" as being better. Products are, in most ways, far superior today.

Even my crummy little Jag (really a Ford) is a wonderful product. And, it's nicely tweaked to be jag

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Some people will love the sound, just like some people love the sound of F1 cars. I don't. Like the Viper V10, I find the sound of a flat-plane v8 to be droning and boring. Like a tractor engine on amphetamines.

None of that matters with regard to actual performance, and I understand the advantages of the flat-plane engine in a pure competition environment. But I'll lever like the sound.

True, very much a matter of taste....

Guys will cam for idle sound...

Love the hair dryer sound of the Countach....

They are leaps and bounds better than the Chinese factory building the Getrag MT-82 that is currently in the Mustangs. I am on my 2nd and have less than 14,000 miles. When the 2nd was put in, there was no front seal on the gearbox at all. The casting is horrible on the cases.

Agreed...I would like to see someone else build the gearboxes...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
440 Magnum:

I was thinking about this very thing today. And, I think overall brand quality has gone way up. So, I don't look back on the "old days" as being better. Products are, in most ways, far superior today.

Even my crummy little Jag (really a Ford) is a wonderful product. And, it's nicely tweaked to be jag

My 1969 Charger R/T would not stop or handle. It was fast in a straight line, but got 10 mpg.

My 2001 Mustang GT is so much better!!!!

Quality control....

This is the best part of the car though
smile.gif

Quality control....

This is the best part of the car though
smile.gif

WHOA!!!!!

That is the problem with retro styling, your kind of stuck. Once it ages out and needs to be replaced its hard to do.

Sadly front pedestrian impact regulations make the hoods on all modern cars look chunky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back