Straight Talk Wireless @ Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my Friends,
I just wanted some opinions of the Straight Talk wireless service available at WalMart. Some background, recently our family income has been seriously reduced. (please don't ask for details.) I just found out that we were paying $300 plus a month for Verizon service. I was searching and found this phone at Walmart.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-Samsung-R375C-Prepaid-Cell-Phone-with-30-All-You-Need-Plan-Refurbished/29002544 What do you guys think ?

Thank You, my Brothers

I have Tracfone...
$2.49 for the phone, and $100 for a year of service, and around 1000 minutes of talk time.

It gets expensive when you run out of talk time and have to buy more. I never use all mine, so it just accumulates.

Look on www.retailmenot.com for discount codes to use when adding time or year cards....

90 day cards, true unlimited everything for $125.99 if you purchase on Walmart website or $130.00 if purchased at brick & mortar. First 3 gigs is full high speed per 30 day period. After that it is throttled down a bit. I have had Straight Talk for 5 years now.

Cricket is now wholly owned by AT&T, so you're getting AT&T's network at a considerable savings - plus a store you can show up at if you are having phone issues.

Straight Talk works fine with my only gripe being that changing phones is a pain. Phone is locked to sim card so you cannot just get new phone and put card in it.

I am currently trialing a company called FreedomPop. You buy the phone or bring your own. After that $80/year for unlimited call and text with 500 mb of data/month. You can get an unlimited data plan for $20/mo and they will auto refill if you set it up and need it. They use the Sprint network which works fine in this area.

We have a StraightTalk phone. StraighTalk piggy backs of all of the major networks. If you look at the lower left corner of the front of the box the phone comes in, you can figure out which network the phone uses.

We have a Samsung Galaxy Centura. The lower left has "CDMA-V". The "-V" means it uses the Verizon Network. -S is Sprint, -A is AT&T, etc.

Service is "OK". They definitely throttle you as soon as you hit 2GB of data usage each month. Their customer service is not stellar. StraightTalk is a division of TracFone.

straight talk uses versizon ,sprint and Att ect all of them. Depending on the phone you look at the box and see what code is on the box.

Gma is att
cdma is versizon
cmda+s is sprint

Now Im going off memory with the coding , but that's how you tell what provider the particular phone uses.

Last edited:
If your income is seriously compromised, I'd look to get rid of smart phones, which really are a luxury. Even if you no longer have home landline service, data costs.

If you're concerned financially, I'd go minimalist. Remember that those other plans sometimes need unlocked phones, so if you don't have them, it too can be an issue.

Good luck.

Thanks for all of your help.

I wasn't really looking for a "Smart Phone". Just looking for something reliable and economical.

Better days ahead (I hope)

Once again, my sincere Thanks...

I looked at straight talk when sprint coverage disappeared from my home 5 mos. ago. I wanted a phone with Verizon service so I ended up buying a straight talk phone at wm that operated on the verizon service and activating it on page plus for $33 a mo. Also just bought a used verizon droid 3 on ebay to keep as a back up phone for $21.

Mms didn't work at first on page plus but after doing a chat with customer service, it all works fine.

I have a flip phone on straight talk. It runs on Verizon network. $30/month for 1500min and unlimited txt. I've had it about 6 months and have had no issues what so ever. Set it for auto-refill and forget about it.

I switched after getting my bill from Verizon one day and just being disgusted with how much I was paying for something that I didn't really truly use a ton and really didn't make me any happier.

Coming from droid 4 for two year, I forgot what it was like to only have to charge my phone one a week!

Last edited:
2000 min of talk time for $100 [good for a year] on H2O Wireless BYOF. Or $27 monthly for unlimited minutes and 3G net. GSM. They run on AT&T. Search for AllPrepaid, they tons of alternatives.
Good luck.

A friend of mine has this service; when she didn't renew in time, I got a message (when calling her #) from Verizon saying the service had been disconnected. So at least for my area, service seems to be verizon. She doesn't have any complaints.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spk2000
Straight Talk works fine with my only gripe being that changing phones is a pain. Phone is locked to sim card so you cannot just get new phone and put card in it.

I am currently trialing a company called FreedomPop. You buy the phone or bring your own. After that $80/year for unlimited call and text with 500 mb of data/month. You can get an unlimited data plan for $20/mo and they will auto refill if you set it up and need it. They use the Sprint network which works fine in this area.

I have used st also, was able to put my sim in 5 different phones with no problem. It is tracfone sims thst are locked to the phone.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
straight talk uses versizon ,sprint and Att ect all of them. Depending on the phone you look at the box and see what code is on the box.

Gma is att
cdma is versizon
cmda+s is sprint

Now Im going off memory with the coding , but that's how you tell what provider the particular phone uses.

Gma or gsm?

Look at Consumer Cellular they have no contract service that has many levels. I have been using them for maybe 1 year on phones I bought for cash.

Tracfone is worth considering. They have a $8.00 phone that I have used. It works fine for talking.

Lots of options, it seems. I'm getting tired of paying Verizon 139 per month.

How does the Straight Talk mobile hotspot work, does anyone have it or suggest options?

I had ST for a month or two, until I lost the phone... No real complaints but I went back to Tracphone in the end, just didn't like the cheapo phone I had.

This summer I did upgrade to a smartphone, but still with Tracphone. An LG39C. I've been wanting a smartphone for years, and at $90 to try out something with decent reviews I simply couldn't pass it up. I think it works well for what it is, a compromise of all things. Honestly, I'm not sure it was worth changing from a dumbphone; calls and texts were easier to do on my dumbphone, as the keyboard is too small and too annoying. OTOH it is nice to have a book loaded in the smartphone or to check emails etc.

I still pay $6/month for my service. Paid $90 for the phone, but still use the same $20 card every 90 days. I have yet to turn on data (use WiFi when I feel like it), and obviously talk/text very little.

Not a great plan for those who are heavy phone users.

You can try looking on howardforums for cell info.

Oh: you can look at PagePlus, my wife ported her Verizon phone over and is quite happy. Cheaper than Tracphone too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back